• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

with the dining plan how much would you need to spend per meal?

newholidayx2

<font color=green>Searching for the perfect tree<b
are you thinking $20 sitdown, $15 counter and $4 snack?
I know some days it would be more, other days less. But this seems to be about right for the breakeven. What do you think?

Your question makes no sense. With the dining plan there is no set amount for each meal, it's based on credits.

Zima and other alcohol is not included in the plan.

Anne

If you are comparing how much you would spend not on the plan vs on the plan, then yes to break even with the dining plan then yes you need to spend at least $38 a day to make it worth your while.

I really don't know of any counter service restaraunt where you would be spending $15 for your meal though. A better breakdown would likely be, if I am doing a sit down for $25, a counter service for $10 and a snack for $4 a day normally when I go to Disney, then I will break even on the dining plan.

When I was trying to figure out if it was worth it for us to get it, I looked at the menus on allears and priced out what hubby and I would normally eat if not on the plan, which for our original 8 night trip was 4 sit down meals and the rest counter service. Adding up the costs it was actually more expensive (by about $10) with the 4 sit down meals and the 12 counter service meals plus snacks then it would have been on the dining plan with 8 sit down meals and 8 counter service meals plus snacks including adding in an extra $100 for out of pocket expenses. So for us it was a no brainer to go for the dining plan. We like to eat well when we do sit down restaraunts though, so for someone that may eat more modestly their costs may be different.

Honestly to break even on the plan you need to average $38 a night for however many nights you are at Disney, so if one day you end up eating $30 worth of food as long as the next night you end up eating $50 worth of food you are still breaking even on the plan.

We could never use up $38 a person a day. That would be way too much food for us. We generally have a coffee and danish for breakfast. I split a counter service with DD for lunch because we cannot eat one by ourselves. Dinner is always sit down but we might get one appetizer and split it between the 3 of us. That would be two adults and one child. There is no way we would all be able to get appetizers! I find it strange how anyone could each order appetizers, entrees, AND desserts and still walk! We do usually each get our own desserts though. Even using Kona's or a character meal as a pricing guide, there is no way we are going to be at $38 or better. Having all that food just doesn't do it for me.

I can see this easilly going over the $38 considering thye $28 cost of a buffet dinner not inc the tip. Is the drink usually extra too (iced tea etc...) :confused3

This isn't something you should really be concerned with. Just go, use up your CS and TS getting whatever you want to eat ( no limits with DDP ) and have a great time! :)

A $20 TS meal translates to at least $25 with tax and tip. If the menu price for your TS meal is at least $20, $10 for your CS meal and $2 for your snack you'll at least break even.

Not sure what your asking but the only time we pay for anything on the DP is for breakfast and for a family of four we spend about $25-$30 a day on that and stick to the plan for the rest of our meals and snacks and have more than enough to eat..

ducklite said:
Zima and other alcohol is not included in the plan.

Anne

and this has to do with WHAT? alcohol was never even mentioned!

I think I get what you are asking here's how I look at it (I guess)--keep in mind I don't work to maximize the plan--like I don't expect the kids to pick out a $4.00 treat over their choice--if they want an Itzakadoozie that is what they get, so these may not work for you.

Snack $4.00 Leaving $34.00 to break even

Most CS lunch combos, plus beverage, dessert, tax $13.00 Leaving $21 to break even

Most TS buffet or app/entree/dessert/beverage/tax and tip will easily be over $21.

The plan is easy to use and most people are over thinking this--there is no need to attempt to maximize it becasue it is a good deal on its own so long as this is the way that you already eat when on vacation.+

Lewisc said:
A $20 TS meal translates to at least $25 with tax and tip. If the menu price for your TS meal is at least $20, $10 for your CS meal and $2 for your snack you'll at least break even.

Exactly what I was gonna say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter