Wishes v. Illuminations cruises

northern michigan

Mouseketeer
I've read about the illuminations cruise and how they view the show from under a bridge. What about Wishes? How is that viewed? From Where? Can you see the castle at all?

The Wishes cruise is great! After touring the 2 lakes, the pontoon boats are positioned in front of Mk. The Castle is right in front of the boat. I actually prefer to see wishes from the boat rather than inside the park ( I know you can't see Tink very well, though). You can really see the full effect from the water. I just wisht they would pipe in the music. We have been lucky most times to be able to hear the music from the MK. I liked the Illuminations cruise but part of your view is obstructed when they park under the bridge. Some people say that smoke from the fireworks can be a problem as well. Both of these cruises add a magical touch to you trip.

I give! I don't remember a lake in front of the castle. How does the pontoon boat park right in front of the castle? I thought there was a concrete circular courtyard there. Please jog my memory! I'm blond you know! Being 44 doesn't help either!! :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes1

:rolleyes1 My memory has been jogged! LOL, I found a map! The lakes are at the entrance to MK...LOL!

Can you really see the castle thru all the structures, train tracks, etc. at the entrance area of the park? Is the view/atmosphere worth $120? How many boats with all of your closest WDW friends are you sandwished between?? He, he. Just want to know if it's worth the price?

I'm blonde too! The lake I refer to is the lagoon that separates MK from the TTC. "Park" is the wrong word, "anchor" would be a better choice. But you are "positioned" in the water, in front of the castle.

I think it is definately worth the $120. It is an especially good value if you split the cost with another group or family. I am not sure how many boats they run each evening. The view is fantastic, the castle is seen above the buildings and rail station. All the lights are dimmed on Main Street to optimize viewing. I prefer the view from the boat, you can see all of the amazing firework effects. There are no trees or people to block your view (like there are in the MK). The only negative is you can't see Tinkerbell very well.

Glad to hear it! I did go ahead and booked it for Dec 26th. The CM said no snack or drink permitted for kids. Oh well.

Where did your wishes cruise depart from? I had a choice of WL, GF or POLY. I took the latter as I've only seen this resort from the monorail. Did you offer to take passengers to share your cruise? If so, how'd that work out in retrospect?

We have departed several times from the Poly. We usually eat at Ohanas and then go on our cruise. We have always had enough people in our immediate group so we haven't shared a cruise. There is a permanent thread on the park board about the cruises. It gives info about people wanting to share cruises. We have also taken the cruise from the CR. This trip we will be at the WL so we will hopefully be able to leave from there. The cruises are really great and all of the captains that we have had were awsome. They shared lots of Disney trivia with us. The view of the electrical water parade from the boats is really great, too!

When I first read that I was thinking Illuminations, but now I'm remembering some lighted "floats" near MK. Is this reference to a water parade at MK? Is this something we will also see while on the Wishes Cruise or is it a separate cruise?

I've read conflicting thoughts on bringing your own snack/cooler. What has your experience been? Also, what about smoking? We don't, but may have family join us who do.

Do you book the Wishes cruise the same way as an Illuminations cruise (ask for the Specialty Cruise) and then specify which one?

Yes, you do. Just ask for wishes cruise. They will give the optional departure points. They won't give you an exact time at this point. She told me to call back sometime in October once the park hours, etc. are released. She did say to be there a half hour before wishes and to check in 15 min prior to that. So if wishes is scheduled for 9pm, I think we need to check in at 8:15 at the marina at the POLY.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter