Wine and Dine Half Marathon Registration

brvbrittany

Earning My Ears
How difficult will it be to sign my sister and I up for the Wine and Dine half marathon? I know that some weekends are more difficult than others and certain races within each weekend are more difficult than others. I would like to book our room with my DVC points as my home resort keeps flip-flopping from available to unavailable, but in order to do so I will need to borrow points from next year which means no putting them back if we don't get it. I could always just wait and make sure we get in before booking, but then I run the risk of missing out on the room. What to do, what to do!?

How difficult will it be to sign my sister and I up for the Wine and Dine half marathon? I know that some weekends are more difficult than others and certain races within each weekend are more difficult than others. I would like to book our room with my DVC points as my home resort keeps flip-flopping from available to unavailable, but in order to do so I will need to borrow points from next year which means no putting them back if we don't get it. I could always just wait and make sure we get in before booking, but then I run the risk of missing out on the room. What to do, what to do!?

Historical Race Weekend Sell Out Timing

Wine and Dine

2022 Race
HM sold out in 30 hours (link)
Challenge sold out in 1.5 weeks (link)

2021 Race (1st race registration since COVID-19 cancellations)
*All races reopened 2.5 weeks after registration (link)
*All races continued to periodically reopen.

2020 Race (Reduced availability?? or Villain theme??)
Challenge sold out in 86 min (link)
Half Marathon sold out in 126 min (link)
*2020 registration was March 10th, 2020 which was before most of the world pivoted due to COVID-19. So it's hard to say this race actually did have reduced capacity. It is more likely that this race sold out quickly due to an anniversary year in combination with the newly announced Villains theme. 2021 will also be Villain themed.

2019 Race
HM sold out in three days (link)
Challenge sold out in May when registration was in March (link)
*There were brief occasions when these races opened back up again for a few moments.

**Couldn't find the 2018 Wine and Dine thread

2017 Race
HM sold out in 4 weeks (link)
*No mention of when Challenge sold out

Based on that, it looks like it's one of the less popular weekends? We were considering Princess but decided to try for this one first since it seems to be a little easier to register and to avoid the school break crowds.

Based on that, it looks like it's one of the less popular weekends? We were considering Princess but decided to try for this one first since it seems to be a little easier to register and to avoid the school break crowds.

Princess HM tends to sell faster than Wine and Dine. Essentially for both race weekends, if you're ready at the time of registration to register, then you will be able to get a HM solo event bib or a Challenge bib. The only time that wouldn't have been true is Princess 2021, but that was presumed to have a reduced availability.

Princess Weekend

Challenge sold out in 65 min (link)
HM sold out in 185 min (link)

HM sold out in month (link)
Challenge unknown sell out date
*5k, 10k, HM periodically open after sell out in 23 hrs.

Yoga sold out in 3.5 hrs (link). Registration was about a month after normal registration.

2021 (Presumed reduced availability)
Challenge sold out in 23 min (link)
Half sold out in 26 min (link)

Challenge sold out in Sept 2019 when registration was June 2019 (link)
HM sold out in Dec 2019 when registration was June 2019 (link)

Challenge and HM still open 2 months later (October with August registration) (link)
Challenge sold out sometime between 2-3 months based on this and prior post (link)

Challenge on "hold" in 16 min (link) sold out in 67 min (link)
HM sold out in 2 weeks (link)

Challenge on "hold" in 13 min (link) reopened at 21 min (link) sold out in ? (greater than 1.5 weeks (link) and less than 6 months (link))
HM sold out in ? (greater than 1.5 weeks (link) and less than 6 months (link))

Challenge sold out in 105 min (link)
HM sold out at approximately 7 hours (link)

Princess HM tends to sell faster than Wine and Dine. Essentially for both race weekends, if you're ready at the time of registration to register, then you will be able to get a HM solo event bib or a Challenge bib. The only time that wouldn't have been true is Princess 2021, but that was presumed to have a reduced availability.

Princess Weekend

Yoga sold out in 3.5 hrs (link). Registration was about a month after normal registration.

Challenge and HM still open 2 months later (October with August registration) (link)
Challenge sold out sometime between 2-3 months based on this and prior post (link)

Challenge on "hold" in 13 min (link) reopened at 21 min (link) sold out in ? (greater than 1.5 weeks (link) and less than 6 months (link))

Thank you!!

Princess Weekend

I saw that someone speculated earlier that the HM will sell out quickly because of the popularity of the Encanto theme. I tend to agree. What are your thoughts?

I saw that someone speculated earlier that the HM will sell out quickly because of the popularity of the Encanto theme. I tend to agree. What are your thoughts?
I don't. Yes Encanto is popular but theme doesn't always correlate to popularity. Pixar was a very popular theme at least from feedback for Springtime and the 10-miler just recently sold out. I find that if a race is going to sell out its going to despite the theme.

I don't. Yes Encanto is popular but theme doesn't always correlate to popularity. Pixar was a very popular theme at least from feedback for Springtime and the 10-miler just recently sold out. I find that if a race is going to sell out its going to despite the theme.
I honestly hate Encanto as the theme, haha.

Haven’t heard the same buzz with Encanto as there’s been for other recent race weekends. Maybe it’ll surprise me but I think registration is going to be at least a little easier going forward for WDW weekends (no comment on DL).

Haven’t heard the same buzz with Encanto as there’s been for other recent race weekends. Maybe it’ll surprise me but I think registration is going to be at least a little easier going forward for WDW weekends (no comment on DL).
I hope that you’re right.

It might be that the announcement of the W&D Half theme went under the radar since it was sort of random and part of a whole different thing. People might go nuts closer to registration time when they announce the whole weekend theme (thought I hope not for the sake of everyone who wants to register)

It might be that the announcement of the W&D Half theme went under the radar since it was sort of random and part of a whole different thing. People might go nuts closer to registration time when they announce the whole weekend theme (thought I hope not for the sake of everyone who wants to register)
I feel like this is probably part of it too. DL registration was just coming up when they kinda, sorta, mentioned the Encanto half theme. And then we were just a couple of weeks away from Princess and everyone was itchy for course maps and the event guide, and that turns into bib numbers and expo passes. I think that as soon as princess wraps up that the talk will turn toward W&D (although, I feel like that weekend gets the least amount of attention.)

Trying to find out if one still needs to be registered on Active.com to register for wine dine when it opens? or just Disney.com ?

Several other posts pointed one towards the pinned thread for Disney registration, but that has not been updated for many many months.

If I want to register for the challenge for me and my husband, but only want to add the 5K for me, will I be able to add all that at one time, or will I have to grab the challenge first and then go back and try to register for the 5K? I'm experienced at registering both me and DH, but the add on of the 5K is what I'm confused about.

It looks like the challenge hasn't sold out that quickly historically, but I'm wondering if the Figment theme will change things this year. I wasn't going to do W&D weekend because I wasn't crazy about the Encanto theme (and I also registered for the DL Half), but once they revealed the challenge was Figment themed, I changed my mind 😂. I already have my two Figment outfits planned, so I hope that I get in!

@brvbrittany Good luck on Tuesday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter