Wine and Dine 2015

I think it was you. I could see the OTHER side of the seperation ribbon from my spot in H. And when @SunDial posted his clip of his perspective of the H corral start- I'm basically even with the annoucer's platform. Like I could literally see the timing mat between the spread of people for the start. We probably ran a very close pace- but I bet you passed me in the end. I kind of forgot that I hadn't trained to run a sprint for 7 miles and that last mile I had to conserve. Or rather, the body was like 'hey stupid? you're 37 not 17; you're not Meb. Slow it down'

I like to finish the last quarter at a dead gallop- and if I'd have kept going the way I had been? I probably would have had to crawl. or in a burst of flames *pokes @flatlandcycle*
If you don't mind me asking, what was your approximate pace? I was quite a bit slower than normal due to the humidity and the late start, so you might have been faster than me.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your approximate pace? I was quite a bit slower than normal due to the humidity and the late start, so you might have been faster than me.

According to my Garmin about 12:30 on average. My walk pace is about that, my pace running is about 10:30/11 a mile. But at the point that this happened it was just sheer dumb luck: course layout, me passing on the inside (outside was more walkers and way way faster runners), and that person trying to make room for herself. I felt so bad. Didn't take her out or nothing, but I think I startled her pretty bad. I really hope it was you. At least you "know" me in a sense. I hate to think that it wasn't you and some stranger is out there still thinking about the girl that tried to run her over LOL

Re: etiquette...I was in H and saw the same woman in a white jacket just yelling out to every walker "walkers on the right!" For half the race. I think she said it to me once. Now, I run a half mile, walk 30-45 seconds. I ALWAYS looked behind me and put my arm up before stopping. Even then, I power walk. But this time I saw a pack of walkers in the middle and saw runners on both sides so I figured it was safer to just walk right behind the pack. Normally I would move to the L or R shoulder. I also ran this in about 1:20. So going back to the R side isnt always feasible, but I was always aware and safe and sometimes even walked outside the cones. I thought the race program said get to the sides to walk, not just the R side. So ya that annoyed me a little.

But when the trail to the BW happened I heard her yelling it behind me at some others, and it was just too packed to get over there. So I think people understood to do your best until this path ends. But not this woman...she started yelling it louder and I heard people yelling back that they couldn't get over. So she kept repeating it like a brokrn record until one woman in a sort of I will not take your shiz anymore!! Voice just screamed "NO. I WON'T!"

It. Was. Hysterical.

Re: etiquette...I was in H and saw the same woman in a white jacket just yelling out to every walker "walkers on the right!" For half the race. I think she said it to me once. Now, I run a half mile, walk 30-45 seconds. I ALWAYS looked behind me and put my arm up before stopping. Even then, I power walk. But this time I saw a pack of walkers in the middle and saw runners on both sides so I figured it was safer to just walk right behind the pack. Normally I would move to the L or R shoulder. I also ran this in about 1:20. So going back to the R side isnt always feasible, but I was always aware and safe and sometimes even walked outside the cones. I thought the race program said get to the sides to walk, not just the R side. So ya that annoyed me a little.

But when the trail to the BW happened I heard her yelling it behind me at some others, and it was just too packed to get over there. So I think people understood to do your best until this path ends. But not this woman...she started yelling it louder and I heard people yelling back that they couldn't get over. So she kept repeating it like a brokrn record until one woman in a sort of I will not take your shiz anymore!! Voice just screamed "NO. I WON'T!"

It. Was. Hysterical.

How rude.

When I would take my walk breaks, if there was not room for me to safely stop, I would keep jogging or find a line of single file walkers and try to fill in with them. I always swung my arms above my head for about 5 to 10 seconds before I stopped to let people know. You'd be surprised the amount of time someone still ran into the back of me....

Next time, I'm making a sign. Lol

DH and I actually managed to run the whole thing. It had been our plan all along to try and run at least half of the half and then the second half take walk breaks if needed, so when it was shortened we figured we might as well go for it. It was not easy for the two of use to weave thru everyone and try to stay together as much as possible. There were just way too many people and not enough room for the course to spread out. I don't recall anyone bumping me or me bumping anyone else though there were a few close calls.
This was our first half marathon so it especially hurt that we didn't get to do it. As my DH said "we almost crossed this off our bucket list"
I don't think I'll do another runDisney race. Too much travel time, money and way too many people!
And I'm not really sure when I'll actually get to run a half. We luckily get to head back to Disney next week for 9 nights and when we get home the Christmas season will be upon us which is always crazy for us. The thought of starting this training over again makes my head hurt (not to mention my feet)!

According to my Garmin about 12:30 on average. My walk pace is about that, my pace running is about 10:30/11 a mile. But at the point that this happened it was just sheer dumb luck: course layout, me passing on the inside (outside was more walkers and way way faster runners), and that person trying to make room for herself. I felt so bad. Didn't take her out or nothing, but I think I startled her pretty bad. I really hope it was you. At least you "know" me in a sense. I hate to think that it wasn't you and some stranger is out there still thinking about the girl that tried to run her over LOL
According to my Garmin my first 3 miles were 12:39, 12:31, and 12:10. Mile 4 was 11:32, and then 12:10 again. So our pace was pretty close, but with you being a corral behind starting a few minutes later, I'm not sure if we would have caught each other. Obviously we'll never know for sure! But hopefully whoever it was won't dwell on it and think you were purposely trying to run her over!

From where was on the course I really didn't see anyone getting run over per say. I stayed out on the left edge for the most part. Boardwalk, Beach & Yacht were not bad, however the path from HS to Boardwalk was insanely crowded. There were a few people trying to weave but most everyone stayed in the line they were in. Most of the time it kept moving. Just luck of the draw I guess.

It. Was. Hysterical.

Some people need to pull the broomstick from their rump before heading to the staging area. Or perhaps someone else needs to sedate her?

Yeah some woman was yelling at walkers (of which I was one at that point) on that path from HS to Boardwalk to stay to the right. I just yelled at her "where would you like me to go??" as it was wall to wall people at that point. Seriously!

We didn't experience anyone being nasty thankfully and mostly experienced reasonable folks around us. It was just impossible at certain points to move anywhere as everyone has mentioned. There just was no time to spread people out. On the marathon run by the time you hit the boardwalk the field has spread out so it's not that bad.

I know that we didn't stick to our intervals very well at all. We mostly just ran when we could run and walked when it was reasonable to do so (or we had to because of the crowding). All in all it worked out. I really don't understand people who are in anything but the elite or A/B corrals thinking they are going to get a great time. The course and crowding just doesn't allow for it. If time is your main consideration, then Disney is probably not the best race for you. If you want a fun and distracting run with lots of other excited people, then Disney is the way to go.

I just thought of this. There was some type of junior golf event on property, I wonder if some of the better Disney Sports managers/team were over there. I didn't see many of the regular "Black Shirts". They may have been working with the second string RunDisney staff.

I didn't feel particularly safe going to the fieldhouses. With any loud sound, that crowd could have turned, on a dime, into a human stamped. Looking back, I'm not sure being on the WWoS path/ramp was a safe place at all. A lightning strike in that crowd would have taken out thousands of us. It might be safer spread out on the course. I also sense that there are competing departments, trying to stay within labor/cost budgets and they are unwilling to provide a "safety net" to the runDisney group. That cleaning crew, in the Jostens Center, prevented us from being on the main floor. What's up with that?

Couldn't you have a maintenance crew drag rubble off the course? ("Well No, that would have given me a labor dispute or cost overrun.") I personally can move anything with a chainsaw, tow strap, pry bar spud bar, and a four wheeler. I don't even need a four wheeler if I have a chain hoist.

We became an unruly mob. We all could sense it in the crowds. The shrubbery diving, before the corrals, was a pretty good signal that we had become animals. Once Disney gets off script, it becomes pretty dicey. Having a "talk radio" vibe on top of "Let's get ready to rumble." Didn't help things. That PA system should have been switched over to calming Disney tunes, at about half volume. We didn't need any more "ramping up."

Last edited:

It. Was. Hysterical.
I remember HER! (No offense to my northern peeps as I have a very southern accent) She had sort of a LOUD Jersey accent. I remember holding my hand up and moving over before we hit the mile marker 8 and she said something like "Walkers to your right" Funny a lot of us were in H. I was a short, AA lady with a purple Nike shirt and black tights.

I've read through most of these posts and I'm glad I did. Loved hearing everyone else's experience and a couple of posts made me feel better.

When we heard about the modified course due to more weather coming in, nothing was showing on the radar other than what had just passed so we sort of felt that was crap. I would like to think Disney did the right thing but had my doubts. Hearing about the debris in AK, and the point that at Epcot we would have shelter if needed, does make sense and maybe it wasn't all about Disney making money. Thanks for the perspective! :thumbsup2

I was somewhat upset with the shortened course, and as others said, after everything, I just felt deflated, totally lost my motivation. While I am bummed that I can't say I did another half, I have to admit with that heat, my foot hurting a little and my mental state, going from mile 2 to 8 was appreciated. ;) And I looked at the positives, it didn't rain on us, and we got to use real bathrooms. :rotfl:

As for post race, we didn't find too much of a mess at the finish line, just the usual stuff. Bag checks going to Epcot was not an issue at all. I'm surprised to read some of these comments about that. We only went to Hawaii and Refreshment Port, and those lines weren't bad. I think we were alone at RP. We then decided to call it a night, shower, and get some sleep to start fresh the next day.

Overall I'm glad we did it and got the C2C, although I do feel it's with an *. We had a wonderful trip so I really can't complain.

My on-course experience feom G was crowded, but manageable. I have no idea what kind of pace we were actually moving at because we made some significantly long stops; GPS is of no help here, lol! But I ran with two ladies who don't usually take walk breaks and I do: they were totally willing to let me set the pace, but, especially with the shortened distance, I felt like I should try to run as much of it as I could to avoid holding them back... it was a good strategy for this weird race: I felt like the total time on my feet (including before and after) plus the extra effort kind of made up for losing the marathon training mileage.

My point here, though, is that I got to experience this one as more of a runner than my usual, consistent run/walk method, and I got to experience it as part of a group, as opposed to my usual solitary run. It wasn't bad, but yes - trying to keep 3 people together, without getting in anyone else's way, at a good pace, was challenging at times! I think we did a bang-up job of avoiding being 3 across outside of the couple spots that could accommodate that, and more often that not we were moving in single-file formation. But it was close quarters for the entirety of our race, save for the time we took to stroll and wander through the O-Lights, and I felt like it took my full concentration to ensure that I wasn't stepping on someone's heels, or slowing unexpectedly in front of someone, or losing my friends as we passed slower runners. It was fine for 7ish miles, and I had a GREAT time with my friends, but man - I would NOT want to do that for 13.1. The congestion just never let up without the long stretches of highway to spread things out.

Yeah some woman was yelling at walkers (of which I was one at that point) on that path from HS to Boardwalk to stay to the right. I just yelled at her "where would you like me to go??" as it was wall to wall people at that point. Seriously!

Lol I think I heard you then! I also heard comments yelled back like why are you at a disney race then? I had about a 12 min pace, but also made a porto stop that took forever because I was waiting but runners kept running up and grabbing the ones that opened while I went hey guys! Me first! Lol

I remember HER! (No offense to my northern peeps as I have a very southern accent) She had sort of a LOUD Jersey accent. I remember holding my hand up and moving over before we hit the mile marker 8 and she said something like "Walkers to your right" Funny a lot of us were in H. I was a short, AA lady with a purple Nike shirt and black tights.

Yes she did it the ENTIRE race. That is what got so frustrating. The best part is as much complaining as she was doing, I passed her before epcot and she never did catch up. I won't lie it was not long after she kept yelling at the BW path so when I did it, I turned and looked her dead in the eye as soon as we got off the path, and sprinted away. Like take that! Haha. Not my finest moment, but oddly satisfying.

I think most of us get it. I do not usually do a lot of photo stops, but I get that in later corrals it is more of a fun run. So I can calmly deal with congestion points. That is the trade off, you either deal with congestion in spots to be able to run through the parks, or you get a great POT and move to the front corrals.

Huh... I just realized reading that that I don't remember seeing the portapotty stops.

There were 2. Can't remember where on course any more but I saw both and was like eh it is a 10K maybe not going will make me go faster!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter