Winds In The East, Mist Coming In Something Is Brewing About To Begin - International Tourist 2022 Disneyland Pre Trip Thread

BadPinkTink

Republic of Ireland is not part of UK
Finally, some good news. President Biden will announce today the removal of the travel ban, which means I can return to California and Disneyland. This thread will be my pre trip planning and updates. Right now, there is nothing definite. We don't have an actual date, just a month. I don't know if I will travel before Christmas or after Christmas. I will still be planning a June 2022 trip. The last time I was in California and Disneyland was June 2019. Its been a long 2 years, I've had June 2020 and June 2021 California trips cancelled, as well as a September 2020 Disney European cruises cancelled and a September 2021 Disney European cruise cancelled.

US to ease travel restrictions on fully vaccinated foreign visitors
By Kevin Liptak, Arlette Saenz and Betsy Klein, CNN
Updated 1511 GMT (2311 HKT) September 20, 2021

The United States plans to ease travel restrictions on all fully vaccinated foreign visitors starting in November, the White House said Monday, relaxing a patchwork of bans that had begun to cause fury in Europe and replacing them with more uniform requirements for inbound international air passengers.

The new rules will require all foreign nationals arriving in the United States to show proof of being fully vaccinated, the White House Covid-19 response coordinator Jeff Zients said. He said the new rules would take effect in early November, a timeline that will give agencies and airlines "time to prepare."

Fully vaccinated foreign nationals and American citizens returning to the United States from abroad will be required to take a pre-departure Covid-19 test within three days of their flight, and show proof of a negative result before boarding. Unvaccinated Americans returning to the US will be "subject to stricter testing requirements," Zients said, including a test within one day of departure and an additional test when they return.

Edit October 4

I've decided to add a checklist to this first post, so that people don't have to scroll through the entire thread to get the most important information.

Travel Insurance
Flights4 months in advance
Disneyland Park Reservations120 days in advance
Anaheim Hotel
LA Hotel
Foreign Currency Prepaid Card
Plan Food and Spending Budget
Hotel at LAX for first and last night
Quotes From Car Services From and To The Airport
Renew ESTA Tourist Visa
Book Car Services From and To The Airport
Buy new travel adaptors with USB ports
Check Money stored on LA TAP CARD
Check and print out bus and train timetables
Disneyland Dining Reservations60 days in advance, 3am PT
Book Covid Test for Travel to USABooking system opens 28 days in advance
Book Covid Test for Return to IrelandLAX Testing Center booking opens 5 days in advance
Check Travel Insurance Updated Covid Policy
Plan / Book Backup Hotel For Isolation
USA Pay As You Go Sim Card
Get US Dollars Cash
Irish Candy and Chocolates for LA friends
Add API to Airline website
Put travel notification on bank cards1 week before travel
Order flowers for Forest Lawn1 week before travel
LFT / Antigen Tests for each day of holiday
Cloth masks and disposable masks for each day of holiday
Fit To Fly Covid Test1 Calendar Day Before Flight
Upload Fit To Fly Covid Test Cert To Airline
Upload Vaccine Cert To Airline
Sign Airline Attestation Form
Fill Out City of LA Traveler Form
Have documents easy accessible to be checked by airline staff

Last edited:
For context and to record for future reference.

CDC Website Travelers Prohibited from Entry to the United States
Updated April 30 2021

With specific exceptions, several Presidential proclamations suspend and limit entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the following countries during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States. For a full list of exceptions, please refer to the relevant proclamations in the links below.
  • China
  • Iran
  • European Schengen area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Monaco, San Marino, Vatican City)
  • United Kingdom(England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
  • Republic of Ireland
  • Brazil
  • South Africa
  • India
The Whitehouse Website
Proclamation on the Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Non-Immigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus Disease
Updated January 25 2021

The Federal Government must act swiftly and aggressively to combat coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The national emergency caused by the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States continues to pose a grave threat to our health and security. As of January 20, 2021, the United States had experienced more than 24 million confirmed COVID-19 cases and more than 400,000 COVID-19 deaths. It is the policy of my Administration to implement science-based public health measures, across all areas of the Federal Government, to prevent further spread of the disease.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), within the Department of Health and Human Services, working in close coordination with the Department of Homeland Security, has determined that the Republic of South Africa is experiencing widespread, ongoing person-to-person transmission of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, including a variant strain of the virus known as B.1.351. The World Health Organization has reported that the Republic of South Africa has over 1,400,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19. Another variant strain, known as B.1.1.7, is widely circulating and has been traced to the United Kingdom. Furthermore, a third variant strain, which is known as B.1.1.28.1 and may impact the potential for re-infection, has been identified in Brazil. Based on developments with respect to the variants and the continued spread of the disease, CDC has reexamined its policies on international travel and, after reviewing the public health situations within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, the Federative Republic of Brazil, and the Republic of South Africa, has concluded that continued and further measures are required to protect the public health from travelers entering the United States from those jurisdictions.

In my Executive Order of January 21, 2021, entitled “Promoting COVID-19 Safety in Domestic and International Travel,” I directed the Secretary of Health and Human Services, including through the Director of CDC, and in coordination with the Secretary of Transportation (including through the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration) and the Secretary of Homeland Security (including through the Administrator of the Transportation Security Administration), to further examine certain current public health precautions for international travel and take additional appropriate regulatory action, to the extent feasible and consistent with CDC guidelines and applicable law.

While that review continues, and given the determination of CDC, working in close coordination with the Department of Homeland Security, described above, I have determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens of the United States (“noncitizens”) who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, the Federative Republic of Brazil, and the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR., President of the United States, by the authority vested in me by the Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, including sections 212(f) and 215(a) of the Immigration and Nationality Act, 8 U.S.C. 1182(f) and 1185(a), and section 301 of title 3, United States Code, hereby find that the unrestricted entry into the United States of persons described in section 1 of this proclamation would, except as provided for in section 2 of this proclamation, be detrimental to the interests of the United States, and that their entry should be subject to certain restrictions, limitations, and exceptions. I therefore hereby proclaim the following:

Section 1. Suspension and Limitation on Entry. (a) The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, and the Federative Republic of Brazil during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
(b) The entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens who were physically present within the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States, is hereby suspended and limited subject to section 2 of this proclamation.
Sec. 2. Scope of Suspension and Limitation on Entry.

(a) Section 1 of this proclamation shall not apply to:

(i) any lawful permanent resident of the United States;

(ii) any noncitizen national of the United States;

(iii) any noncitizen who is the spouse of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident;

(iv) any noncitizen who is the parent or legal guardian of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that the U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident is unmarried and under the age of 21;

(v) any noncitizen who is the sibling of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, provided that both are unmarried and under the age of 21;

(vi) any noncitizen who is the child, foster child, or ward of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, or who is a prospective adoptee seeking to enter the United States pursuant to the IR-4 or IH-4 visa classifications

(vii) any noncitizen traveling at the invitation of the United States Government for a purpose related to containment or mitigation of the virus;

(viii) any noncitizen traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any noncitizen otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;

(ix) any noncitizen

(A) seeking entry into or transiting the United States pursuant to one of the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-2, C-3 (as a foreign government official or immediate family member of an official), E-1 (as an employee of TECRO or TECO or the employee’s immediate family members), G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 (or seeking to enter as a nonimmigrant in one of those NATO categories); or

(B) whose travel falls within the scope of section 11 of the United Nations Headquarters Agreement;

(x) any noncitizen who is a member of the U.S. Armed Forces and any noncitizen who is a spouse or child of a member of the U.S. Armed Forces

(xi) any noncitizen whose entry would further important United States law enforcement objectives, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their respective designees, based on a recommendation of the Attorney General or his designee; or

(xii) any noncitizen whose entry would be in the national interest, as determined by the Secretary of State, the Secretary of Homeland Security, or their designees.

(b) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to affect any individual’s eligibility for asylum, withholding of removal, or protection under the regulations issued pursuant to the legislation implementing the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment, consistent with the laws and regulations of the United States.

Sec. 3. Implementation and Enforcement. (a) The Secretary of State shall implement this proclamation as it applies to visas pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of State, in consultation with the Secretary of Homeland Security, may establish. The Secretary of Homeland Security shall implement this proclamation as it applies to the entry of noncitizens pursuant to such procedures as the Secretary of Homeland Security, in consultation with the Secretary of State, may establish.

(b) The Secretary of State, the Secretary of Transportation, and the Secretary of Homeland Security shall ensure that any noncitizen subject to this proclamation does not board an aircraft traveling to the United States, to the extent permitted by law.

(c) The Secretary of Homeland Security may establish standards and procedures to ensure the application of this proclamation at and between all United States ports of entry.

(d) Where a noncitizen circumvents the application of this proclamation through fraud, willful misrepresentation of a material fact, or illegal entry, the Secretary of Homeland Security shall consider prioritizing such noncitizen for removal.

Sec. 4. Termination. This proclamation shall remain in effect until terminated by the President. The Secretary of Health and Human Services shall, as circumstances warrant and no more than 30 days after the date of this proclamation and by the final day of each calendar month thereafter, recommend whether the President should continue, modify, or terminate this proclamation.

Sec. 5. Amendment. Section 5 of Proclamation 9984 of January 31, 2020 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus and Other Appropriate Measures To Address This Risk), and section 5 of Proclamation 9992 of February 29, 2020 (Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting 2019 Novel Coronavirus), are each amended to read as follows:

“Sec. 5. Termination. This proclamation shall remain in effect until terminated by the President. The Secretary of Health and Human Services shall, as circumstances warrant and no more than 30 days after the date of the Proclamation of January 25, 2021, entitled “Suspension of Entry as Immigrants and Nonimmigrants of Certain Additional Persons Who Pose a Risk of Transmitting Coronavirus Disease 2019,” and by the final day of each calendar month thereafter, recommend whether the President should continue, modify, or terminate this proclamation.”

Sec. 6. Effective Dates. (a) The suspension and limitation on entry set forth in section 1(a) of this proclamation is effective at 12:01 a.m. eastern standard time on January 26, 2021. The suspension and limitation on entry set forth in section 1(a) of this proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 12:01 a.m. eastern standard time on January 26, 2021.

(b) The suspension and limitation on entry set forth in section 1(b) of this proclamation is effective at 12:01 a.m. eastern standard time on January 30, 2021. The suspension and limitation on entry set forth in section 1(b) of this proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 12:01 a.m. eastern standard time on January 30, 2021.

Sec. 7. Severability. It is the policy of the United States to enforce this proclamation to the maximum extent possible to advance the national security, public safety, and foreign policy interests of the United States. Accordingly:

(a) if any provision of this proclamation, or the application of any provision to any person or circumstance, is held to be invalid, the remainder of this proclamation and the application of its provisions to any other persons or circumstances shall not be affected thereby; and

(b) if any provision of this proclamation, or the application of any provision to any person or circumstance, is held to be invalid because of the lack of certain procedural requirements, the relevant executive branch officials shall implement those procedural requirements to conform with existing law and with any applicable court orders.

Sec. 8. General Provisions. (a) Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed to impair or otherwise affect:

(i) the authority granted by law to an executive department or agency, or the head thereof; or

(ii) the functions of the Director of the Office of Management and Budget relating to budgetary, administrative, or legislative proposals.

(b) This proclamation shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the availability of appropriations.

(c) This proclamation is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the United States, its departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this twenty-fifth day of January, in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-one, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and forty-fifth.

JOSEPH R. BIDEN JR.

My current situation

I have no flight booked. My usual airline Aer Lingus have stopped the direct Dublin to LAX flights. They are currently flying direct to Boston, Chicago, JFK and Washington only.
I need to decide do I fly from Dublin to the USA East coast and then book a flight from the east coast to LAX
OR
do I fly from Dublin to European airport or a Canadian airport with a different airline and then fly direct to LAX.

I have no tourist Visa - ESTA. My ESTA ran out in June 2020 and I did not renew it. Its a very simple procedure to renew, I just apply on the official website, pay the $14 fee and it is usually approved within a few minutes. I did not want to renew it until I knew I can actually get on a plane.

I have Disneyland Tickets. I bought 3 day 1 park tickets back in May 2020 just before Disneyland stopped the sale of tickets. They originally had an expiry date of January 2022 but this has been extended to January 2023. I have them loaded onto the Disneyland Ap so it means that as soon as I know for definite when I will be in California, I can reserve my park days.

I am fully vaccinated, 2 doses of BioNTech Pfizer vaccine and I have the EU Digital Vaccine Passport. I have it in multiple formats - a PDF file, a jpg screencap and it is loaded into the official Irish Government Covid Tracker App.

There is a Covid testing centre at Dublin airport The appointments can be booked online and cost between €69 and €149 depending the type of test required.

Last edited:
Since you're planning another June visit, I wonder if you can upgrade your current 3 day - 1 Park tickets to Magic Key (annual pass).

Best of luck what you decide to do, looking forward to your trip report!

Since you're planning another June visit, I wonder if you can upgrade your current 3 day - 1 Park tickets to Magic Key (annual pass).

Best of luck what you decide to do, looking forward to your trip report!

oooh now thats an idea I hadnt thought of. I need to check block out days. That would be kinda cool and would mean I don't just have to limit myself to 3 park days. Thanks for that suggestion :thumbsup2

UPDATE

I've found the information about testing. This is fine with me

CDC Website Updated September 16 2021
Fully vaccinated international travelers arriving in the United States are still required to get tested 3 days before travel by air into the United States (or show documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months) and should still get tested 3-5 days after their trip.

CDC Website Updated July 6 2021
Requirement for Proof of Negative COVID-19 Test or Recovery from COVID-19 for All Air Passengers Arriving in the United States

Why does the Order specify 3 days rather than 72 hours? What is considered 3 days?
The 3-day period is the 3 days before the flight’s departure. The Order uses a 3-day timeframe instead of 72 hours to provide more flexibility to the traveler. By using a 3-day window, test validity does not depend on the time of the flight or the time of day that the test was administered.

For example, if a passenger’s flight is at 1pm on a Friday, the passenger could board with a negative test that was taken any time on the prior Tuesday or after.

What types of SARS-CoV-2 test are acceptable under the Order?
Passengers must be tested with a viral test that could be either an antigen test or a nucleic acid amplification test (NAAT). Examples of available NAATs for SARS-CoV-2 include but are not restricted to reverse transcription polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR), reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), transcription-mediated amplification (TMA), nicking enzyme amplification reaction (NEAR), and helicase-dependent amplification (HDA). The test used must be authorized for use by the relevant national authority for the detection of SARS-CoV-2 in the country where the test is administered. A viral test conducted for U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) personnel, including DOD contractors, dependents, and other U.S. government employees, and tested by a DOD laboratory located in a foreign country also meets the requirements of the Order.

Can I get a rapid test?
Rapid tests are acceptable as long as they are a viral test acceptable under the Order.

Does a self-test meet the conditions of the Order?
International air passengers traveling to the United States
can use a self-test (sometimes referred to as home test) that meets the following criteria:

• The test must be a SARS-CoV-2 viral test (nucleic acid amplification test [NAAT] or antigen test) with Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
  • The testing procedure must include a telehealth service affiliated with the manufacturer of the test that provides real-time supervision remotely through an audio and video connection. Some FDA-authorized self-tests that include a telehealth service may require a prescription.
  • The telehealth provider must confirm the person’s identity, observe the specimen collection and testing procedures, confirm the test result, and issue a report that meets the requirements of CDC’s Order (see “What information must be included in the test result?” below).
  • Airlines and other aircraft operators must be able to review and confirm the person’s identity and the test result details. The passenger must also be able to present the documentation of test results to U.S. officials at the port of entry and local/state health departments, if requested.
For travelers who test positive, CDC recommends the telehealth provider report positive test results to relevant public health authorities in the traveler’s location following local requirements. The telehealth provider should also counsel the traveler on what they and their close contacts should do. This would include not traveling until they complete isolation (if infected) or quarantine (if exposed), in accordance with local requirements.

Some countries may restrict importation of tests that are not authorized or registered there. Travelers who are considering bringing a U.S.-authorized test with them for use outside of the United States should contact authorities at their destination for information before they travel.

What information must be included on the test result?
A test result must be in the form of written documentation (paper or electronic copy). The documentation must include:

1. Type of test (indicating it is a NAAT or antigen test)
  2. Entity issuing the result (e.g. laboratory, healthcare entity, or telehealth service)
  3. Specimen collection date. A negative test result must show the specimen was collected within the 3 days before the flight. A positive test result for documentation of recovery from COVID-19 must show the specimen was collected within the 3 months before the flight.
  4. Information that identifies the person (full name plus at least one other identifier such as date of birth or passport number)
  5. Test Result

Last edited:
UPDATE

So now that the President of The USA is removing the ban on entry for Europeans from November, the next thing to check is the travel advisory from The Irish Government.

This is important to check, as just because a country will allow tourist to enter, your own departure country may have restrictions on which countries you are allowed to travel to.

If you travel to a country that your own departure country has a travel restriction or a do not travel advice, it will void your your travel and medical insurance.

Travelling without medical and travel insurance is even more risky than it was before, as now with Covid, medical expenses can really mount up.

Before July 2021 The Irish Government advised against all non essential travel.

Now this has changed and Irish people can travel internationally.

UPDATE

So now that the Irish Government are allowing international non essential travel
AND
USA is removing the travel ban for European citizens

the next thing to check is travel insurance.

I buy annual multi trip travel insurance which is linked to my regular health insurance. My renewal date is June, so even though the travel bans were in place in June 2021, I still renewed my policy.

This is the new Covid additions to my policy.

Emergency Medical and Other Expenses Including Emergency Assistance Services Up To €20,000,000

We will not cover any claims caused by or relating to Covid 19
Nor will we cover any claims relating to any fear or threat concerning this virus.
This general exclusion applies to all sections of cover apart from where you , your travelling companion or close business associate are diagnosed with Covid 19 and meet the following conditions
We will pay you up to the amount shown for you , your traveling companion or any person with whom you have arranged to stay with during your trip receiving a diagnosis of Covid 19 within 14 days of the start of the trip or in the case of being admitted to hospital with Covid 19 within 28 days of the start of your trip.

UPDATE

I have now booked my flights to California. I have decided to wait and travel in January for a few reasons, but mainly due to lower flight and hotel prices.

Booking the flights for this trip was a bit more complicated than in the last few years. Having flown all sorts of combinations of transatlantic flights over the last 20 years, my first priority must have for flights is that I fly from Dublin to a USA airport direct and then if I have to have a layover , that I change planes in the USA. This is because Ireland has a special arrangement with US Homeland Security to have passport and visa checks before getting on the plane. This makes for a far less stressful flight and journey and it means that when we arrive in USA, we arrive like a domestic flight and can just walk straight off the plane to the luggage carousels.

My preferred airline is the Irish airline Aer Lingus. They used to have a Dublin to LAX route which was amazing, but since Covid this has stopped and there is no re start date yet.

So my next plan was to check which airline flew from Dublin to LAX, as I realized I would have to find a route with a layover.

There are 3 airlines currently flying from Dublin to LAX
  1. American Airlines with a layover in Philadelphia
  2. United Airlines with a layover in Newark
  3. Delta with a layover in JFK
My second priority must have for flights is that if I have to do a layover, I need at least 2 hours or longer to transfer between flights.

So I checked all 3 airlines and the routes. I checked the time between flights on BOTH the Dublin to LAX routes and the LAX to Dublin routes.

The airline which had the longest time between flights on both routes ended up being Delta.

So today I have booked the Delta flights.

I have booked Economy / Main Cabin, which is the cheapest seats. Before Covid I almost always did Economy / Main Cabin so I am not bothered about sitting in the poor people seats. I will be travelling in January, during term time, so I don't expect the plane to be full, as its not tourist season. I have booked aisle seats on all 4 flights and I really doubt I will have a seat mate. Its very likely there will be empty seats / rows and once the planes take off I will possibly be able to move to an empty row.

Yes I will have to wear a mask during the flights and in the airports, but thats not an issue.

My Dublin to LAX, LAX to Dublin flights with a 3 hour layover in JFK New York cost me €550. That is about €400 cheaper than I have paid for transatlantic flights for a very long time.

Oh, this makes me so happy to read!! I've been following your fun reports for quite some time. I'm kind of in awe of being able to plan a Disney trip from so far away and with all of the issues/restrictions that have been in place. I know you'll have a wonderful time!!

Oh, this makes me so happy to read!! I've been following your fun reports for quite some time. I'm kind of in awe of being able to plan a Disney trip from so far away and with all of the issues/restrictions that have been in place. I know you'll have a wonderful time!!

Aww thanks. Part of writing this pre trip report is so that it will be a help to other international guests returning to USA and Disney parks. So much has changed now and its just a good idea to write down everything as I find new information.

UPDATE

I have now booked my flights to California. I have decided to wait and travel in January for a few reasons, but mainly due to lower flight and hotel prices.

Booking the flights for this trip was a bit more complicated than in the last few years. Having flown all sorts of combinations of transatlantic flights over the last 20 years, my first priority must have for flights is that I fly from Dublin to a USA airport direct and then if I have to have a layover , that I change planes in the USA. This is because Ireland has a special arrangement with US Homeland Security to have passport and visa checks before getting on the plane. This makes for a far less stressful flight and journey and it means that when we arrive in USA, we arrive like a domestic flight and can just walk straight off the plane to the luggage carousels.

My preferred airline is the Irish airline Aer Lingus. They used to have a Dublin to LAX route which was amazing, but since Covid this has stopped and there is no re start date yet.

So my next plan was to check which airline flew from Dublin to LAX, as I realized I would have to find a route with a layover.

There are 3 airlines currently flying from Dublin to LAX
  1. American Airlines with a layover in Philadelphia
  2. United Airlines with a layover in Newark
  3. Delta with a layover in JFK
My second priority must have for flights is that if I have to do a layover, I need at least 2 hours or longer to transfer between flights.

So I checked all 3 airlines and the routes. I checked the time between flights on BOTH the Dublin to LAX routes and the LAX to Dublin routes.

The airline which had the longest time between flights on both routes ended up being Delta.

So today I have booked the Delta flights.

I have booked Economy / Main Cabin, which is the cheapest seats. Before Covid I almost always did Economy / Main Cabin so I am not bothered about sitting in the poor people seats. I will be travelling in January, during term time, so I don't expect the plane to be full, as its not tourist season. I have booked aisle seats on all 4 flights and I really doubt I will have a seat mate. Its very likely there will be empty seats / rows and once the planes take off I will possibly be able to move to an empty row.

Yes I will have to wear a mask during the flights and in the airports, but thats not an issue.

My Dublin to LAX, LAX to Dublin flights with a 3 hour layover in JFK New York cost me €550. That is about €400 cheaper than I have paid for transatlantic flights for a very long time.
I’ve flown Delta to Ireland from JFK (and back from Dublin) Loved it. Very accommodating (I was in a walking boot at the time due to an ankle injury)

Edited because my phone somehow thought I meant Dunkin and not Dublin haha

I’ve flown Delta to Ireland from JFK (and back from Dublin) Loved it. Very accommodating (I was in a walking boot at the time due to an ankle injury)

Edited because my phone somehow thought I meant Dunkin and not Dublin haha

oh thanks, its always great to have someone who has flown the route. Ive flown to JFK a few times over the years but its been so long I cant remember which airline. The flight from Dublin I'm not too bothered about, its just the transfer, its been so long since Ive done an indirect route to LAX.

Update

Its now 120 days before my planned park days, so I have just done my park reservations. I know most people don't do their park reservations this far in advance, but I have so much other things to that for me its just best to get it done.

I have started my spending money budget. Nothing much to do yet, I just have worked out an approx budget for my first week in LA. I usually bring half cash and half on a prepay card. I have about $150 cash left over from my June 2019 trip. The next thing to do is to log in to my prepay card and see how much, if anything is left on that.

The second part of my spending money budget is to figure out how much I need for the Anaheim / Disney part of my trip. I will do that in December when I make my dining reservations.

The next thing on my list is to book my hotels. The Anaheim hotel is easy, I know where I want to stay. The LA hotel is easy, I know where I want to stay. The part that is making me think and not sure what to do is the night I arrive in LA. The flight arrives later than I usually arrive at, so I'm not sure if I want to get a car service late at night and go direct to my LA hotel, or if I want to stay at an airport hotel and get their free shuttle and then the next day get a car service to my LA hotel.

Even though I am starting to book things, it still does not seem real that I am actually going to get on a plane to California. Since my last visit in June 2019, Ive planned and cancelled so many travel trips, that I think part of my brain thinks is still armchair travel and that it wont happen.

The part that is making me think and not sure what to do is the night I arrive in LA. The flight arrives later than I usually arrive at, so I'm not sure if I want to get a car service late at night and go direct to my LA hotel
I always assume the flight could be late as well. As it's basically just a bed for the night I'd stay at the airport ... unless it's much more expensive than your LA hotel.

(I had a similar choice for coming back to the UK next month. Flight lands about 5pm, so in theory I could get home that night easily. But if things run late (Border Farce at Heathrow have not been helping lately) I could easily end up getting to catch a bus near midnight.
So I've booked a night at the T5 ibis budget for the night to avoid any stress spoiling the end of the holiday.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter