Window box help

Allie322

<font color=green>And the health to wear it<br><fo
Hello All,

I am a frequent lurker on this board but a newbie poster to this forum! I love reading about all of your gardens and I always learn so much.

Now, I have a question that maybe some of you could help me with. I have a window box at my back door railing. This spot gets full, blazing sun just about all day long. Most years, I planted ivy geraniums there and they really thrived. But quite hontestly, I'm geranium-ed out! I have a wreath on the door that is pinks, yellows, purples, and greens (I know it sounds ugly, but it really is pretty!). What types of annuals do you all think would survive and look nice?

TIA!

Welcome, welcome Allie322!! :bounce: :bounce:

I'm absolutely no help when it comes to things in pots or planters (I need the earth to absorb my overfeeding and overwatering), but I wanted to say that I think pinks, yellows, purples, and greens together are quite lovely! Sounds like most of the colors I plant together! ;)

I will go out on a limb and suggest sweet allysum, carpet of snow, as a base white color for your planter, however. I love the stuff, it take full sun, and requires very little care! I plant it with heathers, roses, well everything!

Good luck to you! I'm sure others will come along who can offer much more help than I. :D

Welcome to the Flower & Garden Board

have you thought about New Guinea Impatients

http://www.blitzworld.com/garden/impatiens.htm

ngimppix.jpg

I would interplant them with Aspargus fern and varigated vinca it should make a beautiful window box.

Mal

Hi Allie, and Welcome! :flower3:

I'm glad you jumped in and joined us! We're always happy to add new Buds to our boquet! :) Yes, a bit corny I know...but it's true! :sunny:

Along with Dandave and Mal's suggestions, I'm adding a link here to JustJulie's thread about container plants for sunny spots. A lot of the flowers mentioned there would be great for window boxes! :)

Julie's thread.... :)

A couple more I might mention are good old reliable Marigolds (great for height) as are Vinca (Peppermint Cooler is very nice!) and Salvia.

Osteospermum, and Brachycome would be great choices also. :)

Million Bells and Super Bells can be very vigorous growers, so depending on the size of your window box, you may want to use them sparingly.

I hope this helps, and that you keep us posted on what you pick. :)

Any more ideas, Buds?

Petunias are always nice, especially the Wave type that don't need to be deadheaded plus there are so many colors! Also, verbena tamari is gorgeous and it will trail. I usually buy a pink one. Heliotrope smells divine and can be white or lavender. Helichrysum is a good non-flower to mix in for some nice variegated foliage. Scaevola is purple and you can't kill it.

Originally posted by mcnuss
Scaevola is purple and you can't kill it.

Don't be so sure!! You'd really be surprised at what I can accomplish!

Thank you for all of your help and your kind welcomes. I'm headed out in search of flowers tomorrow. I can't wait! I will keep you posted.

scaevolazig.jpg

I had to look this one up because I did not know what a scaevola was....now I know what it is...this is a beautiful plant.

Mal

It's really beautiful in a hanging basket or windowbox, and no kidding, it seems un-killable. One other I just thought of is that new black eyed susan vine. It looks a little like the sweet potato vine, nice yellow flowers, but of course, these have the eye.

At my garden center, they are selling a kit with the plant and a spiral "trellis" (for lack of better term). I put some in my whiskey barrels last year but just used a mini-fan trellis to get them to climb....I just have to have that spiral thing this year.

Originally posted by mcnuss
......At my garden center, they are selling a kit with the plant and a spiral "trellis" (for lack of better term). I put some in my whiskey barrels last year but just used a mini-fan trellis to get them to climb....I just have to have that spiral thing this year.
Is that the thing that looks like an upside-down tomato cage??

I like the picture of scaevola. I never heard of them before either.

Originally posted by Tulirose
Is that the thing that looks like an upside-down tomato cage??

I like the picture of scaevola. I never heard of them before either.

The ones there were made of bamboo in the shape of a spiral. Not really like a tomato cage...

I used to grow Black-eyed Susan vines (Thunbergia), in containers, Mcnuss. Worked out very well too! :) I used a tomato cage, upside down, with the ends tied together. Sort of a deformed-looking cone (or space shuttle!) shape ...lol.

I only ever had the yellow ones, but the flowers also come in cream and orange.

Maybe I should give them a try again this year? :scratchin :D

Let us know how they work out for you! :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter