Will my pants die?

hAm53

hi!!!
Monday is Patriot's Day here in New England, so I have off from work. However, my girlfriend doesn't. I was thinking of actually doing something with the 6x6 foot cement "porch" we have on our first floor apartment. I was thinking of running down to Home Depot and getting, a couple of chairs, a small tree for the back corner, about 5 or 6 potted plants/flowers and 1 hanging basket of flowers or something. This way we won't just have a slab on concrete, but can suprise her with something that looks halfway nice.
However, living in Mass, I'm not sure if the plants would die or not. It'll be about mid 60's during the day this week, with lows in the 40's at night. Maybe an occasional 38 degrees or so.
I really wanted to suprise her on Monday, but do you guys and gals think it'll be better to wait a couple weeks, or can I squeak by without my plants all dying?
Thanks for the help.
~Chris

I AM IN WISCONSIN AND DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM BUYING PLANTS NOW. YOU DO NEED TO MAKE SURE IF IT IS GOING TO BE COLD AT NITE YOU HAVE TO WATER THEM. IT IS A MUST. YOU HAVE TO KEEP THE ROOTS MOIST. THAT IS HOW I DO IT AND ITS WORKED WELL FOR ME. MY DH USED TO WORK FOR A GARDEN CENTER AND THAT IS HOW THEY KEPT THEIR PLANTS ALIVE. GOOD LUCK.:bounce:

How nice of you to want to surprise your GF this way, Chris. :)

We have some Mass. Buds here, and maybe they can be more specific, but in the meantime, I would suggest that pots of Spring flowers/bulbs would look very pretty and fresh. Garden centres in your area should have lots of tulips/crocuses/daffodils and other Spring plants available.

I've also included a link to another Bud's thread, which includes some patio pictures. These pics are gorgeous, and obviously not something that can be done in a day, but I've included them to help get your creative juices flowing...lol..:)

Outdoor living ~ Ideas

I'm sure that whatever you end up doing, your GF will be thrilled by your thoughtfulness. :)

What a doll you are for wanting to surprise her. I guess your tag is no longer correct and your home and work are both now in Massachusetts (as opposed to L.I. where you said your home was and which is where I live too).

Anyway, my thoughts on this is to go ahead with the plan and just remember that you can always bring in potted plants and baskets for the evening with the cold weather. A small tree, however, might be best put on one of those rolling thingies to facilitate moving without breaking your back.

P.S. - Pansies are cold-weather plants, I believe....

Pansies are a great idea and when the weather warms you can update her porch with summer annuals..

wanna come do my porch too....?:D

my gf, aptly named Rose, got home really late and it was already dark. wouldn't ya know it, she didn't even notice even though she walked right past. although to her defense our porch isn't very well lit.
i made up some lame excuse about needing her to get something from outside, which was when i heard "someone was buy today." :p
basically i picked up about 6 gallon containers of flowers, some hanging flowers, and a kinda big plant for the back corner. today we got a TON of rain, so at least i don't need to water them for a few days.
thanks again for the help everyone.
~Chris

Thanks for letting us know how it went, Chris! :) I'm sure Rose was very touched by your gesture.

So, your pants are okay, then? ;) :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter