Will I really be able to change my park day if I don't get RoR?

ADisneyQueen

DIS Veteran
We are going May 25-May 31 ( memorial day week). I have reserved 2 days at DHS like everyone said so I have another chance at getting RoR if the first day doesn't work out. We do not want to spend 2 days at DHS. I guess I am getting worried after seeing the park reservations full for spring break/ Easter break that I won't be able to change one of my DHS days to another park. Does anyone know if it was not possible to change during any of the holiday weeks this past year? Advice?

You could maybe get hoppers, and just have 2 mornings at HS, then hop to another park. That way you may be able to do Rise twice, but not spend all day at HS. And that way you would t have to worry about not being able to get into a park.

As long as there is still park reservation availability, you may switch to another park if you're unsuccessful obtaining a BG at 7AM.

I would recommend watching the park reservations availability calendar as you get closer to your trip. If they're filling up you may want to decide what's most important; riding RotR or, visiting other parks.

As others have shared you can add the PH option but that does add to the cost.

Last edited:

Advice?
Watch that availability calendar. Start now and see if any day after March fills up.
Be flexible and prepared to change the order of your days if you can't get Rise on May 25 or 26. And don't make yourself go to a park if you aren't that interested. Better to miss Rise by booking a different park than be forced into HS just for one ride.

What if you got to HS at opening, went in and got a boarding group, then hopped to another park relatively early, would you be able to come back to HS even if it's 'full' because you were already there that day and you have a BG? Not sure how this all works sorry, haven't been there since December, but we did ROR and left and had dinner and came back for our BG.

As long as there is still park reservation availability, you may switch to another park if you're unsuccessful obtaining a BG at 7AM.

I would recommend watching the park reservations availability calendar as you get closer to your trip. If they're filling up you may want to decide what's most important; riding RotR or, visiting other parks.

As other's have shared you can add the PH option but that does add to the cost.

Oh this is really GREAT to know. What is my deadline for switching if there is availability: before DHS opens or the park I want to switch to opens?

What is my deadline for switching
No deadline - you can change it anytime that day. And if you don’t end up going to a park that day you can make one for a different day before your ticket expires - pending availability of course.

I didn't get a boarding group at 7a for Rise on my HS day. Still went to the park anyway and was able to get a boarding group when it opened again at 1p. (I was sitting in the Frozen Singalong theater)

That may be risky on a holiday weekend.
That is my thought too—a lot of schools are out for the summer that week and if spring break is an indication, it may be very busy. We are traveling next week and were surprised how quickly everything filled up in advance.. If you don’t have hoppers I don’t think these next few months are a good time to do the “multiple HS backup days” strategy.

We did similar for a trip in December. In order, DHS, MK, AK, EPCOT fill, with EPCOT not filling up very often. We missed our first day for RotR, so it took the second day to capture. Since we are not able to do FP right now, it makes it a lot easier to change plans.

Updating my prior post to add, I looked at the park pass calendar. While May is green now (except for Star Wars Day at HS), mid-April two weeks after easter is starting to book up. Not too many schools have off that late in April, so I take that as a sign that some of the increased traffic lately is not just Spring Break but also more people getting the vaccine and wanting to travel. OP--if you really don't wan two days in HS, I would not book them--the other parks could full up any time and then you'd be stucke.

OP here-
I looked at the calendar for spring break and easter and parks are filled or are filling up fast. Late May will probably be the same. I will probably just book one day at DHS and hope for the best. My daughters will practice getting Rise on their phones. I agree everyone is booking trips now and I don't want to get stuck with 2 days at DHS and we don't care for park hopping. We thought about adding another day which is another possibility, but it's more money and also our cats will have to be separated in the house while we are gone bc they don't get along. We will be gone 8 days.

You could maybe get hoppers, and just have 2 mornings at HS, then hop to another park. That way you may be able to do Rise twice, but not spend all day at HS. And that way you would t have to worry about not being able to get into a park.
Can you hop to the other park if it is full? I don't think you can. That puts you in the same place as just switching parks @ 7:01 of you don't get a BG.

Can you hop to the other park if it is full? I don't think you can.
Hopping does not appear to be restricted based on "sold out" the theme park reservation system. So far this past week, hopping to all parks has been allowed each day despite fully-booked theme park reservations at all parks.

The hopping rules suggest there is some capacity threshold for hopping, but it apparently has not been reached to-date.

OP here-
I looked at the calendar for spring break and easter and parks are filled or are filling up fast. Late May will probably be the same. I will probably just book one day at DHS and hope for the best. My daughters will practice getting Rise on their phones. I agree everyone is booking trips now and I don't want to get stuck with 2 days at DHS and we don't care for park hopping. We thought about adding another day which is another possibility, but it's more money and also our cats will have to be separated in the house while we are gone bc they don't get along. We will be gone 8 days.
I'll be there the same dates as you and have the same delimma. We decided to just book one day at DHS, because I didn't want to take the risk of not being able get a second day at MK if reservations were already full. We absolutely want to ride Rise, but we're not willing to disrupt the rest of our vacation for it, and don't want to add hoppers.

I wish they also had a "close to capacity" indicator for each park instead of just "available" and "full". I'm having the same dilemma but with fewer days to play with and in late August not May. I'm hoping capacity increases by then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter