Will a WDW vet be disapointed with DL?

funhouse8 said:
It can't get any easier than this. The two parks entrances are right across from each other.

We love :love: WDW and were never disappointed in DL. They are both wonderful in their own right. Go there and enjoy the parks and try not to compare - Just let the magic happen! :wizard:

Thank you funhouse8. That's great news. We can't wait to go again plus we're going to WDW in December so we get the best of both "Worlds" in the same year. :woohoo:

Now Mom of 3 said:
We just had the opposite experience. We have been to DL 3 times and just took our first trip to WDW this last Jan. My family and I just love DL. It is my first love. Now we really enjoyed WDW too, only differently. There were quite a few times I was disappointed a little with some things about WDW. Fantasyland there is just not as good as at DL. I was VERY disappointed with Pirates. It was so much shorter and did not have the drops like DL's. I was also somewhat disappointed with IASW, Peter Pan, and Big Thunder, thought I could not allways put my finger on why. Oh, and some of my favorite rides are only at DL, like the Matterhorn, Alice and Indiana Jones.

Don't get me wrong. We loved WDW too. DL just feels different to me in a way I like. I would suggest reading up on what special things it has because of Walt's personal touch, then looking for them when you get there. I'm sure you will have a great time. I might also suggest going to at least see the ocean. The CA coastline is just so beautiful. I regret missing out on that our last trip.

I completely agree with Now Mom of 3!! Living in CA I grew up going to DL and finally made my first trip to WDW this past Nov. We fell in love with Epcot and Animal Kingdom, but were really disappointed with the Magic Kingdom. We just didn't feel the rides were anywhere near the standards of DL. Space Mountain was a colossal letdown. The only ride that we felt was even comparable was Big Thunder. Please don't get me wrong, we throughly enjoyed the WDW experience as a whole, but in comparing MK to DL there was really no contest. DL won hands down on every level.
I can't imagine anyone going to DL and being disappointed. I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

We live in PA and the airfare to CA for our DL trip this summer is actually $100 cheaper per person than the airfare we paid for our trip to FL in November. Go figure!

We've more than made of the difference with booking our stay at PP, though. Used to those WDW value resorts.

Amber said:
Thanks for the input. I live on the east coast and can get airfare to orlando for about half the price of going to CA. There's 3 of us, so that's where my economical comment came from.

Indiana Jones and Space Mountain are 2 things I am really looking forward to if we head to DL, as well as just seeing something different. But we have always loved the feeling at WDW of completely escaping the rest of the world.

We live on the West Coast and usually can fly cheaper to WDW than to DL. Isn't that something?! :confused3
We like WDW better IMO, but there are things about DL that are better. Space Mountain has just been recently redone and that was fabulous! PoTC is also better at DL. Indiana Jones is my favorite ride, which they don't have at WDW. And last but not least, you have got to try the Matterhorn!
When you first walk into the park, you will see the Castle and think "It seems so small", because it is! :rotfl: Everything is just smaller in scale! It is just a little different and there is not as much to do.
Some people like CA weather better, but we like FL better, even in the summer, which is always when we go! We also feel the hotel selection is better in FL than CA.
One nice thing about DL is that you can walk to each park and their hotels with ease compared to WDW!
If you never have been then you need to try it at least once! !
We really like DL, but we love WDW! :love: Just my .02!
:wave2:

sammatt said:
I'm surprised noone has mentioned It's a Small World being SO much better at Disneyland. My DH laughed hysterically and called me "Small World snob" at WDW because I kept pointing out what was missing. The ride is longer and has much more to see in Disneyland. Plus, the exterior is so much greater, due to not needing to be sheltered from the storms of Florida.

Oh yes...great point. Even the building is amazing! I have ridden IASW in WDW plenty of times and could not tell you what the building looks like. The one in DL just stands out as WOW! When I first saw it last summer I couldnt believe it.

I posted some comments on another thread about the DL/WDW comparisons. I grew up in FL -- only about 45 minutes away from WDW. My dad could get free tickets from work -- so we went a lot growing up. I loved it and will always remember the magical times there. My family moved to the other side of the country when I was 19 -- I went to college, got married, etc and just never went back to FL.
We just took our 3 young girls to DL and it was magical, too! It is smaller, but for me it was a bonus -- It was nice that things were more compact and not so much walking and not overwhelming at all. I was pleasantly surprised by the California Adventure, too. I kind of thought it would be lame. But it was fun -- and it usually isn't nearly as crowded over there. My kids met some characters over there without long lines, they have lots of cool beachy shops and fun ice cream places to get a treat. A lot of the rides are geared towards older kids/adults -- but my kids loved the Bugs Land and some of the other shows they have for kids, as well as Turtle talk, etc. My 3 year old's favorite ride was King Triton's carousel LOL -- never a long line!! It has kind of a relaxing feel to it -- nice when you want to get away from the crowds.
If you go when the crowds aren't bad and there's good weather -- I just don't see how you could be disappointed! :yay:
I am looking forward to WDW because I want to take my girls to the Animal Park -- and I would love to visit Epcot. Since we live soooo much closer to DL and the package deals are usually so much more affordable, we will probably go there more often. We really loved it there. But I would love to go back to Fl, too . . .

We love DW and have been there many times. The atmosphere at DW is great with or without kids!

We just got back from DL and truely enjoyed both parks but it wasn't DW. We found DL extremely busy and the parks seemed to be alot smaller than the parks in DW. The castle was a disappointed. We were surprised by it's size. I am glad that I got to see the orginal "Disney" and thought toon town and small world were much nicer than DW but some how we just didn't feel the same "magic" as we feel when we go to DW.

I would recommend going. I am glad we went and we did enjoy it but I just don't think we would return to DL even if we return to California. We loved seeing the sites in Calfornia and wish we had time to see more.

Have a great trip!

This is a great thread and it's exactly the type of insight I was looking for. I am a WDW veteran, but I am so looking forward to Disneyland. From everything I've read and the pictures I have seen on line, DL looks to be far more detailed and intricate than WDW. Toontown and IASW look absolutely amazing.

I actually have the reverse worry. I'm afraid that I won't be happy with WDW in November after going to DL this June.

pirate:

I only skimmed the other responses so sorry if I'm repeating. I have been to WDW numeroustimes, I went to DL for the first time in 29 years last August. I loved it. As a resort WDW rocks. Comparing DL Park to MK and DL wins hands down. I truly intended my trip last August to be my only trip out west, but I am seriously considering another trip for next year. Yes the castle is underwhelming, but so what. The rides can't be beat (except Splash is better in WDW). Otherwise the rides and selection of rides is far superior. Also there is an intimacy in the DL park that you don't get in MK. Maybe it's more of a quaint feeling you get in DL.

Oh and DL still has Mr Toad :thumbsup2

I too am a fairly frequent WDW visitor, planning my first trip back to CA since I was 4-ish. We leave tomorrow night! We were just at WDW in early Dec., so we're really excited about getting to experience both places close enough in time to see the differences between them. I don't think I'll be disappointed at all in the whole trip, although, like others have said here, there may be attractions that are different enough that I miss "my" attraction version! We're going to have a great time, and all your comments have made me realize that I really need to watch for Walt's touches in "his" park. This is where it all began, and it's my first Disney park, too--I just don't really remember it! It's definitely time to go back.

I guess I'm in the minority. We're lucky enough to have been to DL many times, although we hadn't been there in a few years. So we went again a few months ago. We've also been to WDW many times over the last decade. To me, WDW is a true resort. DL is merely a theme park. I would pick WDW over DL for a vacation every time.

We just returned last night, this was my kids first time at Disneyland, they have been to WDW a few times. Now my boys are 6,9 and 12. My husband is in the navy, and we had to go without him, and I have to say, it is much easier to handle three little boys at Disneyland. I find the Anaheim transportation system very easy and reliable, and cheap to use, we had a rental car, it never left the hotel except to venture out in town to find a place to fix son's glasses. It was very easy to go between the parks if we missed something, downtown disney is right in the middle.....I was very pleased with our four days we spent there, in between we just spent a day at downtown disney, the kids did lots of pin trading there, build a bear, which with the starter bears and mickey outfits was almost the cheapest Disney souvenier we've ever had, and is so special to them! I just left feeling like, wow, we pretty much did everything we wanted, and could go between the parks so easily, and go back to our hotel during the day easily....Last February we spent 10 days at WDW and still felt like we did'nt get all we wanted to do done! Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to go back there....but we really enjoyed Disneyland and for a mom with three boys, it seemed so easy to navigate....seemed like at WDW we spent more time just getting there, and to go to another place took so much time. this was a much easier trip. I was a little thrown by the fantasmic thing...could'nt believe there was not an actual theater......but we walked up at the very last minute, and down around by the haunted mansion right on the water ( I think this was the smoking pit/area) we got front rail spots. And it was very crowded that day, so maybe that area fills up last, keep that in mind, it literally started as we walked up to the railing, and we all had front row spots at the railing with a great view. It is different than WDW, but I would not say either was better, other than the seating. They both are so cool, and so neat in their own ways! For the most part simular, but different and unique, I am so glad I have gotten to see both! They are both awesome! Well I guess I better get to all this unpacking and laundry! We live on the East coast, and that is a lot of flying! But well worth the trip!!!!!!!

I actually have the reverse worry. I'm afraid that I won't be happy with WDW in November after going to DL this June

What will happen is that you will be walking somewhere in the MK here at WDW and you will get confused. I went to DL in 1998 & 1999, then back to WDW about 6 months later and confused myself! No IASW is left, not right! NO, Pinoc is not here! :crazy: I got so "used" to the stuff in the other park, I forgot where the stuff in the MK was - and I had been going there for years! Yikes!

I don't really try to compare the two. They are different and the same. Yes, POTC, Space Mtn & Fantasmic are better in DL. To me, I have to go to DL to see these things and stuff like Pinoc, Alice, Matterhorn, Mr. Toad, etc. But then I have to go to WDW MK to see Philharmagic, COP, WEDWAY Peoplemover (I just can't call it TTA), etc.

WDW is a destination - always busy (unless you are like my mom who wanted to sit by the pool everyday last weekend). I feel more laid back at DL. We did go to the beach on my second trip, at sunset, and froze our buns off (It was early October).

No matter what, you will have a great time - bet on it!

We went to WDW in October for 5 days, plus a couple of days at the beach. We just got back from DL(2 days at park, 1 day at beach), and my kids said they liked them both the same (although it may have been because we were at DL at the time-hard not to like it!). DH prefers Disney World, although he likes California Adventure better than DL, so what does he know :teeth: .
DL is close and easy to get to for us, but we will go to DW when we can as it's a whole different experience.

Jeni

I grew up near DL, and just got back from my first trip to WDW. We only spent about 6 hours at MK, as there were only about 1/2 dozen attractions we wanted to see. Given its larger size I was expecting MK to feel more spacious than DL, but it wasn't. BTMRR at MK is in a terrible location, since you have to walk around the lake/river to get to it.

Thanks for the insight Doombuggy! I probably will get confused between the two, but that would be nothing new for me. I get confused from one shopping mall to the next! :rotfl2:

I am just feeling very fortunate to be able to get to Disneyland during the 50th anniversary celebration. I didn't get the Golden Ears at WDW, but I am going to definitely get a pair of Golden Ears from DL since it is that park that is actually celebrating its 50th!

My DH didn't really care for WDW when we went last September, but I just found it so magical that I've sort been a real "Disney nerd" since I got back. I've read a lot about Walt Disney and how he planned his park in California. I can't wait to see it and know that I am walking where Walt walked.

u will have a ball there!!! i love DLR and WDW! but am closer to DLR. I just wanted to say i can't believe no one has mentioned our new fireworks show for the 50th that alone is worth a trip for me! tinker bell is simply amazing!!! :goodvibes with her new flight patten! :goodvibes u will get goose bumps! a lot of people compare this show to past shows at wdw but tink alone will win u over. course u will leave with your new favorites at Dl and your old favorites at WDW. :cool1:

Wow...you asked the question I was going to ask. lol We've done WDW many times and absolutely LOVE it! However, we did promise my 10y/o that we'd take him to Legoland so it's Ca this year..and DL! Dh and I are both a bit worried since we love the resort feel of WDW. It doesn't seem that DL has that same quality. Still, from the other things I've been reading, it's awesome and I'm getting excited! :)

I am very eager to try DL also and have been to WDW many times. Can anyone give some insight on comparing the crowd levels and weather between the 2 for late August? WDW is offering the free dining again and crowds are pretty low at that time which are pluses but on the minus side is the possibility of hurricanes. I would love to hear how the crowds compare. :sunny:

August is our hottest month. Triple digits are not unusual. On the plus side, though, our humidity is very low and hurricanes are a non-issue because any that start coming up in the Pacific go away real fast because the water is too cold to keep them going. All we might get is a little extra humidity and maybe a little rain. The week before Labor Day last year was pretty quiet for it still being summer. Many S CA schools are going back in August now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter