• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wifi situation at DVC resorts & parks

MrsJobba1

Dvc owner at BWV & SSR
It's been 4 years since our last visit home across the pond. As we need internet access for work I remember on our last visit we brought with us a wifi point that we plugged into the internet point in the room to create our own wifi. Will we still need to do this (April 2015) or has DVC changed?

Also what is wifi like in the parks now?

Thank you for your help in advance.

You can no longer connect to an ethernet port in the room -- all of the resorts have free wifi. The coverage is variable, and you probably would be better off with your own hot-spot just in case, unless that would be cost prohibitive for you. We were at Jambo in April, and the wifi was terrible in our room on the concierge level, but fine in the concierge lounge area. Perhaps the wifi in the common areas is more reliable. When we were at BLT and Kidani last summer, our in room wifi worked reasonably well, with a little slowness in the evenings.

The park wifi seems adequate most of the time.

WiFi at the resorts is slow at best. WiFi in the other areas including the parks is provided by AT&T as is the cell service, much better than the resorts.

:earsboy: Bill

We had pretty spotty wifi service at VGF last week. Had to be in certain rooms of the villa for it to work, and even then it was quite slow. Plus since it seems they don't have it protected for resort guests, I assume anyone visiting can sit outside and use it, adding to the slowness.

We had pretty spotty wifi service at VGF last week. Had to be in certain rooms of the villa for it to work, and even then it was quite slow. Plus since it seems they don't have it protected for resort guests, I assume anyone visiting can sit outside and use it, adding to the slowness.

The slowness is probably due to everyone in most families connecting with their devices. A family of 4 may have 4 or more connections at one time, tablets, smart phones maybe both. If each have a smart phone and a tablet, that could be 8 connections. Most users do not turn off WiFi when they are not using it.

:earsboy: Bill

We were at VWL last fall, BLT the fall before that, and BLT the spring before that. Apparently we were fortunate because we had very minimal difficulties. I had a laptop and DH had an iPad. There was good connection in the room, the balcony, and at the pool.
In the past few years I've read quite mixed reports from all the resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter