Why so many negative Coronavirus results?

erc

DIS Veteran
As of this minute the United States has tested 96,262 people and 10,985 were positive.

Why are there so many negative results when you have to exhibit symptoms or had close contact with a positive in order to even get the test?

The latest numbers for the country are always updated on this line: https://covidtracking.com/api/us

Because there are so many other illnesses that present like COVID-19.

Your website might be right, but a link to a single line of text sets my spidey sense off as to its accuracy and where the information is pulled from?

I work for a healthcare accreditation organization for physician residencies and fellowships. We use Johns Hopkins' Center for Systems Science and Engineering, which is updated daily.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Probably because this is just one type of coronavirus, and there are so many of them out there. If you have a different respiratory infection you may be sick as a dog, but with something else, so your test will come back negative.

COVID-19 tests are still very strictly rationed where I am; most healthcare professionals who end up with someone symptomatic in front of them are trying flu tests first, so as to rule out the most likely other reason for those symptoms.

As Skywalker said.
Testing as many symptomatic people is the best way to get any hold on this. You don’t want to miss those with minor symptoms. In an ideal world like in South Korea, we could first test every individual with any cold or flu symptoms, even just a fever or sniffle without other symptoms. Then test even all the exposed without symptoms.

With more testing capacity, hopefully that proportion of positives go down to low single digits.

As of yesterday in Illinois we have 288 positive, 2052 tested and 1 death.

I expect all of those numbers to sky-rocket due to a lot more testing starting, but hopefully stay the same proportionally (right word?).

It also depends on the false negative rate for the test. You essentially have 4 options, a true positive, a true negative, a false positive and a false negative. There can be factors for why the results are not always 100 percent accurate including how much virus the patient is shedding (ie in some instances too little to be confirmed) and then as others have said similar but actually different illnesses. In other words a lot of reasons for negative results...

As others have said the symptoms are the same as other illnesses.
I have no idea what the criteria to be tested here is but with so many cases at this point I'm not sure having to have direct contact is one of them anymore.
I do know you can't just be tested because you want to be, you need a statement from a doctor.

Because there are so many other illnesses that present like COVID-19.

Your website might be right, but a link to a single line of text sets my spidey sense off as to its accuracy and where the information is pulled from?

I work for a healthcare accreditation organization for physician residencies and fellowships. We use Johns Hopkins' Center for Systems Science and Engineering, which is updated daily.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Umm...that is just the direct link to the raw data. You could have gone to the root and see where they get it from:

https://covidtracking.com/

I have no idea what the criteria to be tested here is but with so many cases at this point I'm not sure having to have direct contact is one of them anymore.
I do know you can't just be tested because you want to be, you need a statement from a doctor.
Well, unless you are a professional basketball player. :rolleyes:

Agreed. Isn't the treatment recommendation the same as other similar illnesses as well? I understand people are upset about the lack of testing but there isn't any medicine they can give you to make you recover faster.

Agreed. Isn't the treatment recommendation the same as other similar illnesses as well? I understand people are upset about the lack of testing but there isn't any medicine they can give you to make you recover faster.
No disagreeing, but for many it would be quite helpful to know if they have had covid-19. Their symptoms resolve, but they still don't know if they continue to be at risk for the virus.

No disagreeing, but for many it would be quite helpful to know if they have had covid-19. Their symptoms resolve, but they still don't know if they continue to be at risk for the virus.

That would make sense. I'm sure people would be more at ease if they knew they recovered from Corona versus the regular flu.

Depends. It's like any other kind of viral illness. I understand about 25% of people who are infected with the common cold are asymptomatic. Some have very mild symptoms. Some come down with fever and can be really sick.

Reports are that some people getting horrible symptoms (including deaths) are a result of the immune system attacking such that the body is effectively poisoned. The treatment isn't so much about trying to rid the body of the virus (which the immune system will eventually do) but keeping the patient alive long enough for that to happen.

There was talk about antiviral cocktails, but so far that doesn't seem to have worked in trials.

They are testing people for data, pure and simple. It's not to help the patient. Treatment is purely supportive. Rest, hydration, stay home unless you have life-threatening symptoms.

As of yesterday in Illinois we have 288 positive, 2052 tested and 1 death.
Not to be a downer but likely a good portion of the 288 positive are still sick. It'll take a larger pool of cases over a longer period of time to get more accurate morbidity & mortality.

Last week my state of NJ had 1 death. Another family attended his funeral and became infected (likely by the deceased's family & friends). 7 of this family have tested positive, 3 died (a mother and her 2 oldest children). This won't be the last time hearing of such unfortunately.

NY is now showing 5k positive. Most of them are still sick so we have no clue what the mortality will end up being on these original 5k people.

Not to be a downer but likely a good portion of the 288 positive are still sick. It'll take a larger pool of cases over a longer period of time to get more accurate morbidity & mortality.

Last week my state of NJ had 1 death. Another family attended his funeral and became infected (likely by the deceased's family & friends). 7 of this family have tested positive, 3 died (a mother and her 2 oldest children). This won't be the last time hearing of such unfortunately.

NY is now showing 5k positive. Most of them are still sick so we have no clue what the mortality will end up being on these original 5k people.

Well, I assume sick if they are positive?

Today we have 422 positive, 3151 tested and 4 deaths.

Again, more testing, higher numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter