Why does Florida water taste so bad?

Sophie_2003

DIS Veteran
OK, I am not a water snob. I drink from the tap at home and from water fountains everywhere. But why is the water at WDW so yucky? I even started using bottled water to brush my teeth at the WL.

Is this a Southern thing or only a Disney ploy to get me to buy their bottled water? :confused3

I think it has a higher sulfur content. Odd thing though we've had good tasting water at one restaurant and bad at another. We've had ice that made soft drinks taste bad. It is not a southern thing, it is a Florida or living near the coast thing from my experience.

Yes it is sulfer in the water. We have it in Northern Louisiana too (I hated visiting my Dad in Slidell) We called it "egg water"

It's for sure sulfer...when I don't run my water in my guest bath for a few days it stinks like rotten eggs....:confused: I think it may have to do with the high water table...at least that's what they tell us:lmao:

I agree that the water does have a high sulfar taste to it. I use the bottle water for my hot tea but DH uses the tap water for making his coffee when we are at WDW.

OK, I am not a water snob. I drink from the tap at home and from water fountains everywhere. But why is the water at WDW so yucky? I even started using bottled water to brush my teeth at the WL.

Is this a Southern thing or only a Disney ploy to get me to buy their bottled water? :confused3

UGH, I ask myself that question every day! It tastes like toilet water! (Not that I've tasted toilet water, but if I did, it would taste like that.):rotfl:

Thank GOD for those Pur filters!!!

I'm I think it has a higher sulfur content. Odd thing though we've had good tasting water at one restaurant and bad at another. We've had ice that made soft drinks taste bad. It is not a southern thing, it is a Florida or living near the coast thing from my experience.

I have noticed the same thing! When I stayed at SSR the water tasted fine..when I ate at certain restaurants some water had the funky taste and others didn't.

Definitely not a southern thing, I live in Baton Rouge, LA and the water is IMHO way better than it is in Florida (or New Orleans, ew!!). So yeah... sulfur, haha :rotfl2:

But honestly, I think the water on property is better than the water off property... or maybe that's just me being completely brainwashed, haha! It's been too long...

When Walt first envisioned WDW, he knew it would never be economically feasible to build and operate his magical park unless he was able to use Disney characters wherever possible (federal minimum wage laws are not applicable to cartoonish employees.)

Ergo, the WDW water treatment plant is staffed entirely by Disney characters. Well, if you ever seen a Disney character try to operate a pen, I think you'll agree that their grossly oversides hands tend to create some fine motor skill problems. Fine motor skill problems combined with carefully measured chemicals often result in some....lets just say....interesting water.

It's true....check the handbook.

I never noticed the water at WDW tasted bad, and I drink from the water fountains frequently.

When Walt first envisioned WDW, he knew it would never be economically feasible to build and operate his magical park unless he was able to use Disney characters wherever possible (federal minimum wage laws are not applicable to cartoonish employees.)

Ergo, the WDW water treatment plant is staffed entirely by Disney characters. Well, if you ever seen a Disney character try to operate a pen, I think you'll agree that their grossly oversides hands tend to create some fine motor skill problems. Fine motor skill problems combined with carefully measured chemicals often result in some....lets just say....interesting water.

It's true....check the handbook.

Hahahaha. Then again was there even a bathroom in Mickey & Minnies houses?
Probably not so all that rodent feces sinks back into the swamp anyways thats why the water tastes like it does. lol

I tend the think of Florida water as swamp water. A high water table combined with lots of swampy areas and rotting organic matter makes for some interesting water. Heck I lived just off property at one point near the prime outlet mall and if it rained really hard the water would smell very swampy.

However I do know that the restaurants and other food service places filter their water.

I guess i'm a water snob, I couldn't drink it. Not even with the flavor packs because the smell would get to me. Thank god for bottled water.

Then again was there even a bathroom in Mickey & Minnies houses?

Certainly Mickey and Minnie have bathrooms. Cartoon folk....or "toons" to the layperson...are much like us....expect their heads and hands tend to be disproportionately large.

Mickey's bathroom is downstairs....in the rec room.......just past the Charlie's Angels pinball machine...on the left.

Again...it all in the handbook.

Oh....and don't steal any of his abnormally large handsoap...Mickey hates that.

To put it into perspective, the water tastes the way it does because it's clean. How tap water is cleaned varies from state to state, area to area, even city by city. I live near a huge dam and our water needs to be treated a lot more than someone living in downtown Atlanta. We get more crud up here than they do downstream. And I can tell you that it's not the best water. I'd rather have Disney's water than stuff that leaves black remnants behind if you don't wipe it up right away.

Have lived in Florida, D.C., Louisiana, Virginia, and Chicagoland and all of that water was fine for me straight from the tap. Moved to the north Dallas burbs 3 years ago and can't drink the water for the life of me, it tastes like DIRT! It is not north versus south, water is different from city to city. IN Dallas the water is fine, they have a better filtration system!

If you really want to taste some nasty stuff come to Plano!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter