Why Do People Feel It's OK To Decorate Resort Windows?

LOL I was thinking of posting the same thing. This is funny reading. I didn't realise it was such a big thing I have only seen one or two door vinyl things I thought it was cute. I don't think I personally would do it but I will def be looking out for them.:thumbsup2

Very interesting thread. I enjoy decorations, especially the towel animals the Mousekeeping staff makes and places in the windows to welcome guests back from their day at the parks (at least that has always been my take on them). Personally I had to decorate both my home and my MIL's home (inside, outside, and Christmas trees) in a very shortened time span so I could be ready for our Dec 12th departure to Disney, I have no desire to decorate another room this season! Don't mind if others decorate, don't mind if others do not decorate......On the other hand, do dislike rude, offensive folks who leave their better judgment and their manners at home when traveling to Disney World. We have all paid to enjoy our time at WDW, no matter which resort we choose. Peace on Earth and Happy Holidays to ALL.

i don't decorate my window at the resort.
it has nothing to do with the reasons others have mentioned in why they don't decorate.

it's because i'm not artistic in any way.......and lazy.....:laughing:

i always take LGMH with me to the motherland.

when i do see a decorated door/window, and only if it has a statement of being a diser, i leave one of my LGMH by the door for them.

i have ended up meeting some lovely people by doing that.

i just put a little note on the mickey head and tell them i stopped by to see their decorations.
a few times (on a later date), i have seen my mickey head in the window with the displays.

Decorate, don't decorate, do what makes you happy!!!! For crying out loud only here can we get a war :rotfl:

Using your logic, if you were driving down I4 and there was a billboard of a naked woman you (or your kids) wouldn't have to look so what's the big deal of it being there? Your logic suggests that you just look away and it's no big deal. We both know that's nonsense

I am waaayyy late on this discussion, so forgive me if I'm being redundant.

First of all, I have driven to Disney 24 times over my lifetime. And ever since I can remember there have been these awful, tacky filthy billboards advertising nude cafes on the I-4 corridor. I'll never forget when my kids were younger I would cringe every time we passed one because I knew one day they would ask me why someone would go to a cafe nude. :confused: I hated them but I did and still do ignore them. They'll never take them down and there's nothing I can do about it.

And yes, I will be decorating my room at the AS Movies next week. It won't be overdone and tacky, but my kids think it's fun. We paid lots of money for our vacation and if the kids want to put up a few snowflakes and stick a Dumbo in the window I don't see how that's hurting anyone else. In fact, we enjoy looking at what other have done. I think it enhances the magic of Disney, not lessens it.

If you see a room with snowflakes and a Jonas Brothers poster, that'll be us.:santa:

I don't think it's bothersome, when I was on a cruise tons of people decorated thier doors...:confused3

However I do have to agree with one thing....those tackey tackey cling things...ick hate them even at home I wouldn't use them. However I would never stop someone from playing

We hung balloons and streamers up in our window on our last trip to celebrate my mom's b-day. Why? it was the 1st b-day she celebrated since my dad passed away. He always made her b-day special. If decorating our window could bring a little bit of that to her in the midst of her saddness, then I was going to do it. Yes we actually hauled streamer, balloons, and such in our carry-on to add our own little bit of magic. If other people didn't like it, oh well.

Decorate...or don't whatever...but as someone that worked in hotel housekeeping departments to put herself through school....at least 50% of you that claim you clean up are probaly lying:lmao:

Now don't get all defensive and say that you are not a liar, it won't make matters worse or better or make me think you are a saint:worship:

The problem is that these mousekeepers by standard only get 20- 30 mins to clean each non-suite room> I have only seen people use window paint at hotels...in my case here in Canada they have been usually high school sports or bands tour, they take a lot of time to clean up! The window clings to leave behind a dirty window, and as does the gift wrap tape (I know as I decorate my windows at home for Halloween and Christmas and use them) so these hardworking people probaly clean alot of window paint in a day by those that don't clean after themselves. That is not fair.

To me it is a pay it forward kind of thing not to decorate and to leave the rooms in imaculate shape with stripped beds and bagged recyclables and bagged garbage. Its a lot of work for me but if it saves the mousekeeper 15 mins in my room it kind of makes up for the messy rooms. I also tip.

Isn't disney all about paying it forward?

Those that make the window messes and don't clean it up are making an unpleasant day for a mousekeeper....to me that is worth having the fun banned....as nice and fun as the decorating seems, it is soooo not worth the time and effort to make someone elses day more difficult in the end:confused3

I'm saddened by the fact that people are actually upset or annoyed at those of us that choose to decorate our windows of the room that we paid for. I mean, are the few mickey heads and a birthday banner worth all the complaining. I am not asking you to stop and take pictures or to even double take while walking past. If it's not your thing then move on! We recently stayed at POR and I think I only saw one other window decorated other than ours. I am pretty sure that my few decorations were not bothering anyone. I am with the other posters who said that if mousekeeping doesn't have a problem with it, then it's likely the decorating of windows will not end anytime soon. The way I see it, something is always going to bother somebody. We go to Disney for the theme parks, characters, restaurants, magic, not for looking at windows!

Decorate...or don't whatever...but as someone that worked in hotel housekeeping departments to put herself through school....at least 50% of you that claim you clean up are probaly lying:lmao:

Now don't get all defensive and say that you are not a liar, it won't make matters worse or better or make me think you are a saint:worship:

The problem is that these mousekeepers by standard only get 20- 30 mins to clean each non-suite room> I have only seen people use window paint at hotels...in my case here in Canada they have been usually high school sports or bands tour, they take a lot of time to clean up! The window clings to leave behind a dirty window, and as does the gift wrap tape (I know as I decorate my windows at home for Halloween and Christmas and use them) so these hardworking people probaly clean alot of window paint in a day by those that don't clean after themselves. That is not fair.

To me it is a pay it forward kind of thing not to decorate and to leave the rooms in imaculate shape with stripped beds and bagged recyclables and bagged garbage. Its a lot of work for me but if it saves the mousekeeper 15 mins in my room it kind of makes up for the messy rooms. I also tip.

Isn't disney all about paying it forward?

Those that make the window messes and don't clean it up are making an unpleasant day for a mousekeeper....to me that is worth having the fun banned....as nice and fun as the decorating seems, it is soooo not worth the time and effort to make someone elses day more difficult in the end:confused3

As I have said before, I have taken down others tape etc before putting up my own decor, so mousekeeping isn't doing that stellar of a job on window cleaning anyways. :rotfl2: That being said, I do feel that paint or markers is too much because it can leave residue.

Also, I don't understand how tape and clings are making your windows dirty? :confused: Maybe you should get the window clings storage book from Current that keeps them clean and flat until the next year. I love mine! :love: Not to mention anything from a cling or tape would come off with windex, and those windows should be wiped with some windex after being covered in teeny tiny fingerprints, do you not agree?

And at my job I have to do all sorts of extra work for people, even above and beyond my job description. Do I whine and cry about it? No. Because that's life. Either suck it up and do it or go find a new job. :headache:

As I have said before, I have taken down others tape etc before putting up my own decor, so mousekeeping isn't doing that stellar of a job on window cleaning anyways. :rotfl2: That being said, I do feel that paint or markers is too much because it can leave residue.

Also, I don't understand how tape and clings are making your windows dirty? :confused: Maybe you should get the window clings storage book from Current that keeps them clean and flat until the next year. I love mine! :love: Not to mention anything from a cling or tape would come off with windex, and those windows should be wiped with some windex after being covered in teeny tiny fingerprints, do you not agree?

And at my job I have to do all sorts of extra work for people, even above and beyond my job description. Do I whine and cry about it? No. Because that's life. Either suck it up and do it or go find a new job. :headache:

See that is the thing....cleaning the windows is not part of the standard daily room cleaning for the housekeepers, unless it is really messed up with paint or dirty finger prints. As far as I remember it was part of a weekly cleaning list performed by maintance or in my hotels case the night maids. In our hotel it was done once or twice a month. The night maids would do all 24 floors window then change all 24 floors of shower curtains and then change all 24 floors drapes and then start back at the windows.

I live in a very cold climate in winter (when I am decorating my windows at home) and yes the look dirty after you are done, nothing windex won't cure for sure.

As I said housekeeping by north amerrican standards have only 20 to 30 mins per regular room. It works out to be about 16-18 rooms in a full day. If you are not done by the time quitting time you stay on your dime. If you have children in daycare that usually means you will have to pay your daycare a late fee on top of that. So if a housekeeper has to spend 10 to 30 mins scrubbing a window left behind with window paint (window paint in my mind is the bigger issue then clings and tape) they will not clean the rooms following that room as well to try and play catch up if you understand what I mean.

Hotels rooms may look clean...but they are really really gross. Take a black light to one... I dare you. Nobody likes to think of these things though, especially on vacation.

I have seen windows decorated at DLR. I thought it was really cute. It is not something I would waste my time doing. I am really not for or against them. I just don't like how people claim they clean them when the problem is that not everybody does clean up after themselves, and I don't think that is fair or considerate.

LOL Gotta love this thread!! :rotfl: I had a great time reading both sides of the issue. I agree that some extreme decorating looks tacky, but I don't find it distracting or that it cheapens the place or ruins the ambience for us. We don't go all out decorating our windows, but I do stick a few LGMH's in the window and not with tape, I either balance them between the ledge and the wooden blinds, or you can slip them into the window frame itself in some rooms. A few Diser's have noticed them (the reason we put them in the window in the first place; to identify us/our room as members of the Dis Boards) and acknowledged by hanging LGMH's with their Disboard name on them, on our door knob. I've done the same to rooms where I've noticed the LGMH's. It is a great way to meet up with other Disers staying at the same resort at the same time. It was a lot of fun to walk back to your room and find a LGMH hanging on your door and seeing who it was from. In fact, last time we were at Disney, (Sept/Oct 2007) when we came back to our room most nights, I'd walk the entire property checking each building, each door for any LGMH's that might be hanging and when I'd spot one, I'd put one of mine on their door knob. It was awesome!! :thumbsup2

I find this really funny. I never have decorated and I never will but I don't mind other's decorating their windows. In fact it lets me know the people in those rooms are happy to be there and having a good time. This reminds me of something my grandmother said a long time ago, she said "Have you ever noticed that people with smaller houses decorate their houses for Christmas for happiness and joy and with kids in mind but most people with large houses decorate their houses so people can see what great houses they have? I'd rather have the small house filled with love and big colored lights" so that's what we had.

I think it's halarious about the "tacky and ghetto" statment...tacky? haha you are in the land of a mouse with big ears who wears red shorts and you are going to talk about tacky? And how about a swimming pool that's a gawdy replica of a Aztec pyramid? (Give me some tacky and Disney ghetto)...hahaha

I could care-less if people decorate but its just like Christmas decorations...some are tacky & some are tasteful. But WHO CARES!

let me say this first. we dont decorate but i love the idea of it and we might do it this time.[[15 days :goofy:]]
i cant believe that people are making such a big deal over a window. i mean please... is it that big of a deal? people are just enjoying themselves and having a good time with their kids and getting into the disney spirit which i completely understand. ive only seen one or two windows that were decorated and honestly i think it looks better when you add personality to a blank door/window. having said this.. i dont think that people should use the window paint. thats over-doing it and the only thing i think is wrong.
if you have such a problem with people getting into the spirit, then dont stay in a disney resort. stay outside of the world. b/c nobody wants a bad attitude from someone while theyre @ disney b/c they dont like the windows they decorated.
:goofy:

Maybe if it's too difficult for you to avoid the window decorations you should stay offsite. As you said, it doesn't happen anywhere other than Disney! I think it's great that families decorate. And now with the Celebrate theme, I imagine that it will happen more and more! :D

I remember once seeing on TV, I forget what channel or show it was, but the person on the show was driving around Fort Wilderness to each of the campsites and showing all of the Christmas decorations they put up around their campsites and one or two of the families were bragging how they've been doing it for so many years. I think decorating the resort windows is just an extension of that kinda thing. I'm sure if Disney truly frowned upon it, they would strictly enforce it and just not allow it. It's obviously easy to control as all they'd have to do is walk around and find the "offenders." I just hope Disboarders continue to put up the lime green mickey heads, etc. to identify themselves. I really enjoy meeting other Disers. :goodvibes

I think it's neat the way everyone decorates at the Value Resorts. Otherwise, the place looks like a dorm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter