Why did Disney decide to make Flubber?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
In the history of Disney movies I have never understood why Disney decided to make Flubber in 1997? I think the reason why they decided to make Flubber was so they could do a remake of The Absent-Minded Professor and to give Robin Williams a second chance at becoming a Disney celebrity again after what he did after Aladdin. But my mom and dad saw Flubber with my aunt and cousin and they found it funny but it was a failure at the movie theaters and had it been successful Flubber would've done better. As a failure as Flubber was I was so surprised to see Flubber merchandise such as interactive toys of Weebo from the movie and the selection of Flubber plushies so I guess Disney was thinking that Flubber was gonna be a huge hit in theaters. But had it gotten more promotion Flubber could've been a surprise hit in 1997

In the history of Disney movies I have never understood why Disney decided to make Flubber in 1997? I think the reason why they decided to make Flubber was so they could do a remake of The Absent-Minded Professor and to give Robin Williams a second chance at becoming a Disney celebrity again after what he did after Aladdin. But my mom and dad saw Flubber with my aunt and cousin and they found it funny but it was a failure at the movie theaters and had it been successful Flubber would've done better. As a failure as Flubber was I was so surprised to see Flubber merchandise such as interactive toys of Weebo from the movie and the selection of Flubber plushies so I guess Disney was thinking that Flubber was gonna be a huge hit in theaters. But had it gotten more promotion Flubber could've been a surprise hit in 1997

I don't think that Flubber was a failure. It performed fairly well, even if critics disliked it. It wasn't a huge hit I guess, but it doubled it's budget, which is the typical benchmark for success. I remember that it was popular when it came out on video. It may seem forgotten, but the Robin Williams version of the character is also featured in the queue for Journey into Imagination at Epcot.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter