Why can't I roll a double stroller onto the skyliner, and (also) why are they weird about it?

RaymOOOnd

Mouseketeer
This is one of my greatest Disney frustrations. We stay at Riviera and, just after the resort opened, definitely rolled our double stroller on-and-off of the skyliner cars without any issue nor any objection. It fits through the doorway just fine, and we stayed here for several short trips in rapid succession doing so. Then, I believe it was last March or April, we were stopped at the point of boarding and told that the stroller needed to be folded. I was admittedly difficult with the cast member because, I thought, that person was obviously uniquely incorrect based on my past experiences. Obviously we yielded as we'd had to, and later that same day a different cast member also made us fold it. Since then, we are always asked.

Now what's frustrating is that all of these cast members on that first trip treated me like I'd had two heads, in response to my telling them that we'd previously been able to roll the stroller right onto the sky car. The first one insisted, *insisted* that the rule had always been in place, and the second said something similarly although not as disagreeably. What would have been the problem with just simply admitting that, yes, there's a new rule now. Is it like... we can't acknowledge our deviant past? Back then, when we didn't make otherwise happy families yank two sleeping babies out of a peaceful slumber, empty out an entire bottom compartment and somehow hold all of this stuff along with the two babies, FOLD the whole thing which in the case of ours *literally does not decrease the overall size of the thing at all -- it's almost comical*, and then limp onto the skyliner with all 60lbs of it in-arms and with a severely diminished mood?

Does anyone know why:
1. Single stroller fine, double stroller not fine, or
2. Why the strange evasiveness re: the history of the rule? It's not like I go on asking each trip, but I carry with me the taste of that first experience. It puts a bad taste in my mouth and makes me trust the place less.

This was all basically rhetorical. It's fine if nobody answers at all. But I feel a little better.

The first one insisted, *insisted* that the rule had always been in place, and the second said something similarly although not as disagreeably.
It probably has been the rule as long as that CM has been working the Skyliner which could have only been weeks or a few months vs when the Skyliner opened. Each Gondola door space is large enough to accommodate most single strollers (and some doubles that aren’t side-by-side) without collapsing them.

However the official rules have been set before the Skyliner ever opened: Know that a stroller can stay OPEN with a child riding inside of it as long as they fall within the maximum size requirements: 30″ x 48″.

Dave

It sounds like a safety issue. With a single stroller, people can still get by. With a double stroller, if it gets stuck in front of the door, there may be problems.

It's likely the rule was always no double strollers, but it was never enforced. Then something happened last March. Like a stroller's wheels jammed right at the door. Or an entitled person wanted to zoom through faster and a stroller took 5 seconds longer than they felt they should have had to wait and complained. Or a safety/fire inspector saw a double stroller and said the rule has to be enforced. And the cast members have had to enforce it since then.

Sorry, it definitely would be frustrating to have to take the sleeping kids and all the items out of the stroller.

I’m just throwing some thoughts out there … My first would be trying to understand your position and include an understanding for Disney …and my first thought would be safety for your family and all guests and also the castmember .
Your description of struggling under a normal daily transport system with your hassle of folding a double wide stroller and then keeping your children safe and also all of the extra baggage Would be an even bigger problem if there was an emergency added to the task.
Perhaps Disney has had to set stricter standards due to insurance has updated their legal standards and maybe something has happened that we are not aware of.
I have no clue what the dimensions of a single versus a double stroller folded or unfolded …but my mind thinks of imagining a castmember having to measure each stroller everytime … Kinda like all those times we have seen luggage on the airplane and trying to figure out if it is the correct legal fit…

I am currently at Universal today and am amazed at those really huge sized stroller wagons . I even saw somebody with one full of beverages and food she was “ delivering” into the park from CityWalk …!

Edit to add this morning because I thought about this all night .
I remembered that I have had some frustrations with boarding on the SkyLiner too for different reasons tho…So I do understand . I hesitate now about using the SkyLiner for many reasons .
So it is an important topic .
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Last edited:
As @Dave006 mentions, the size limit has been in place since the Skyliner opened. If they have gotten stricter, I suspect it may be to have one clear rule — all side-by-side double strollers must be folded — to prevent the CM from having to judge size, know brands/models, or waste time arguing with guests about measurements. Per manufacturer specs some side-by-side doubles may fit fine but many others are too wide and others are right at the max width.

From the first time we went on the Skyliner in 2019, we were told that double side-by-side strollers needed to be folded but double inline strollers do not. We bring our double inline stroller and have not had issues rolling it on many times since then and as recently as a few months ago. Not sure what kind of stroller OP has and what may have changed in terms of consistency of CMs.

Front and back double strollers can usually go on open. It is just the side by side that has to be folded I’m pretty sure

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter