why are my varigated Hostas not?

Mickey527

DIS Veteran
I have a row of Hostas on each side of my front walk. They grow well every year. I cut them back a few years ago and transplanted some near the pool and they are also growing great.
But this year all my varigated (green with white edges) hostas have come in solid green. No varigation at all. What did I do, or should I do to get the varigation back? they are so plain looking.
Also, does anyone cut off the flower stems before they bloom? I usually wait until the flower stems are drying up but I would like to cut them off now before the bees find them. If they don't know they were there, maybe they will never come. Peggie

but I don't think there is anything you can do about it.
As far as the flower stem, your plants will be healthy the first yesr or two after planting if you cut off the flower stem....at least that is what a hosta breeder told me to do. So now everytime I plant new ones I do not let them bloom for a couple of years. You would not belelve the size of my hostas.

Mal

I also have no answer as to why?

I usually cut the flower stems off the hosta along my walkway and the ones in my shrub area's. It makes for a cleaner look.

Hi Peggie! :flower3:

Interesting question! :) Did your hostas have a few solid green leaves last year?

My variegated hostas haven't reverted, and I wasn't even aware that this could happen!! I found some information on reverting, that you might find helpful.

"Q: Is there a reason for variegated plantings changing to nonvariegated over a period of three or four years? Are the nonvariegated more competititive?

A: Most of the variegated plants are sports or somatic mutations, having nothing to do with the sexual process of breeding. Consequently, the variegation that we see in most plants are only "skin deep" and are sometimes overcome by the basic character of the plant, reverting back to the original form. SOMETIMES, if the new growth show non-variegation, it can be pruned out and the variegated growth will remain. A lot depends on the vigor of the plant, along with the planting site, care and the growing season."

- Ron Smith, Horticulturist

Here's a link to a discussion on hostas reverting.

~Reverting or Sporting?~

Very interesting. My Hostas do have some leaves that non variegated but I never thought they would revert. I like their stripes.

I have heard that more shade = more variegation, less shade = less or none. Not sure how true that is, though...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter