Who here has a smoker?

Sjm9911

DIS Veteran
Ok, so with the covid and being home, and buying too much junk on amazon i got a pellet smoker. And i will say im pretty impressed. It does take time, but i have that. The food comes out great. So far only did ribs and some bonless chicken breasts, asparagus. But i am thinking of a giant rib roast for christmas dinner. I usally do it in the oven , but why not live on the edge? So, qho has and uses there smoker? Anyone have a portable one in the camper? Anyone every do a rib roast?

Ok, so with the covid and being home, and buying too much junk on amazon i got a pellet smoker. And i will say im pretty impressed. It does take time, but i have that. The food comes out great. So far only did ribs and some bonless chicken breasts, asparagus. But i am thinking of a giant rib roast for christmas dinner. I usally do it in the oven , but why not live on the edge? So, qho has and uses there smoker? Anyone have a portable one in the camper? Anyone every do a rib roast?

Smokers are great! Can't speak of the pellet smoker, but we've had our Green Egg for 15 years and it's still going strong. Dh smokes our Thanksgiving turkey every year and that's the only way we like it fixed - before Green Egg we had a charcoal, then electric, so we've had them for many years. We love smoked chicken, pork chops, hams, etc.
But, have never done a rib roast. We love grilled veggies on the Weber, but have never smoked them. You will enjoy! :-)

I think if I were to replace our propane grill in the next few years a pellet grill/smoker would be a good way to go. We love to grill and I even grill in the winter. Having one unit I can have do either would be perfect.

I had a friend that would bring an electric smoker, he used to bring a semi portable wood/charcoal smoker but agreed for RV lifestyle it was a PITA and messy. He enjoyed it and I can think of some of our trips where I could be close enough feel I could maintain the smoker. I feel like open wood grilling, using the on site charcoal if they have one or just using my portable propane grill works too.

Have a smoker but it is a big upright that I had purchased from Lowes. Never did a rib roast, google is your friend. Love smoking dino ribs, but man they are not cheap. Have done chicken, pork, beef.

Nothing is cheap anymore. But it beats take out. My 9 yo got hooked on the local smoke joint. Cost me 60 bucks everytime we go. And now its take out only. So , im rolling my own! Lol. So far so good. Now to be able to do the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños. :teeth:

Nice. Ok so i am all in on this i have a applewood for the pellets, and or a competition mix. I have a 5 bone rib roast, that after i thought about it is way too much for 6 people. Yea, dam covid. I used to do the whole raost in the oven, so 8 bones? . Now i have 6 people. Mom, 87 , who will eat 1/2 peice, daughter 9 , 1/2 peice and ex wife, small eater. Brother who eats only chicken, his girlfriend, small eater. So , i will only cook half of it, and have steaks later in the week. Win win! Lol. I'll take some pictures when its done.

Maybe smoker & pellets are less messy then woodchips in a BBQ? Don't have a smoker, but have tried using wood chips soaked in water in a pan while cooking something in my propane BBQ. It leaves a dark/greasy/oily residue inside the BBQ that is very hard to clean. Made such a mess I stopped using any kind of wood chips in my BBQ.

Yes, it does make a mess, but mine is basicly just a smoker. I didnt clean up up too much yet.
Came out good, twiced backed potatoes, galic butter mushrooms and broccoli rabe.

Maybe smoker & pellets are less messy then woodchips in a BBQ? Don't have a smoker, but have tried using wood chips soaked in water in a pan while cooking something in my propane BBQ. It leaves a dark/greasy/oily residue inside the BBQ that is very hard to clean. Made such a mess I stopped using any kind of wood chips in my BBQ.
Don’t soak them in water. Just use dry.

The purpose of soaking in water is so they smolder/smoke. If you use they dry they just burst into flames.

I had never ever heard of a pellet smoker. Snow birding at Cocoa Beach as we speak and we ate last night (Eve) on DD/SIL condo balcony with a pellet smoker. They are not allowed to have a grill and a Costco sales person convinced them this was perfect for them.
First time used last night. The marinated Trader Joe's Rib Eyes were wonderful. Took a little longer than DSIL thought they would but they were delicious. Interesting to see the little pellets!

He made a good purchase.

We have a pellet cooker & our Son. He uses his everyday. Arnold made the best ribs, chicken, & brisket. Last New Year's I did a ham in the cooker. It turned out wonderful. I am giving ours to our Granddaughter & her future Hubby when they get married. It has not been used for 3 months. I can't figure out the process you have do it at the beginning to get the thing going. But do love the way the meat comes out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter