magic_klingdom

Earning My Ears
Hello all!

My husband, our five kids (9,8,7,5,4), and mother-in-law are headed to the parks in December! Just curious if you could only choose two parks for Christmas time, which would it be? Our plan was to spend one day resort hopping to check out the decor and DS, go to MK on a party day (not attending the party) to take advantage of hopefully lower crowds and Epcot the next day. Thoughts? Must-dos? Best places to eat during this time of year?

Thank you!

Hello all!

My husband, our five kids (9,8,7,5,4), and mother-in-law are headed to the parks in December! Just curious if you could only choose two parks for Christmas time, which would it be? Our plan was to spend one day resort hopping to check out the decor and DS, go to MK on a party day (not attending the party) to take advantage of hopefully lower crowds and Epcot the next day. Thoughts? Must-dos? Best places to eat during this time of year?

Thank you!

I would not want to miss the castle and the fireworks at Christmas so I'd prefer to do a full day at MK. Also, not sure of your december dates but just a heads up, the party days at MK closer to Christmas (winter break) are still pretty full. If it's earlier in December, you should have lower crowds. All the parks do unique holiday decor but my favorites are MK and DHS. I love the vintage holiday decorations at hollywood studios, it just fits in so well. AK also does really befitting holiday decor and the Christmas tree at the gate is really cool. I don't think you can go wrong visiting any of the parks during the holidays. I feel like for your kids ages, MK definitely has the most rides with Epcot and DHS in a tie for second place. AK definitely has the least number of attractions but if your kids are really into animals, that could be a consideration. DHS has more shows and while they're great, if your family isn't into shows, that could be less entertainment and in turn a lot less to keep you all busy. You could do the Christmas Processional at Epcot too.

As far as food, places like Liberty Tree Tavern at MK, are very popular for meals since it's traditional holiday celebration food like turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies, etc. Is it the best for meals? Totally subjective. We like it but it's not an amazing meal by any stretch. DS has tons of great dining options- Wine Bar George, Boathouse, Homecoming, the list goes on. Our favorite places to eat at Epcot are the holiday kitchens, Via Napoli, Les Halles (France QS), Garden Grill (fun character meal) and Le Cellier.

At MK, our list of favorite restaurants is a bit shorter- Pecos Bills, the Plaza, Crystal Palace (very hit or miss), Be Our Guest, the egg roll cart in adventureland, Friar's nook and Pinocchio Village Haus depending on flatbread freshness.

Definitely MK. I would highly suggest Epcot because the international employees are back and each country has their holiday customs. France has Pere Noel who comes out, etc.

I would not want to miss the castle and the fireworks at Christmas so I'd prefer to do a full day at MK. Also, not sure of your december dates but just a heads up, the party days at MK closer to Christmas (winter break) are still pretty full. If it's earlier in December, you should have lower crowds. All the parks do unique holiday decor but my favorites are MK and DHS. I love the vintage holiday decorations at hollywood studios, it just fits in so well. AK also does really befitting holiday decor and the Christmas tree at the gate is really cool. I don't think you can go wrong visiting any of the parks during the holidays. I feel like for your kids ages, MK definitely has the most rides with Epcot and DHS in a tie for second place. AK definitely has the least number of attractions but if your kids are really into animals, that could be a consideration. DHS has more shows and while they're great, if your family isn't into shows, that could be less entertainment and in turn a lot less to keep you all busy. You could do the Christmas Processional at Epcot too.

As far as food, places like Liberty Tree Tavern at MK, are very popular for meals since it's traditional holiday celebration food like turkey, mashed potatoes, veggies, etc. Is it the best for meals? Totally subjective. We like it but it's not an amazing meal by any stretch. DS has tons of great dining options- Wine Bar George, Boathouse, Homecoming, the list goes on. Our favorite places to eat at Epcot are the holiday kitchens, Via Napoli, Les Halles (France QS), Garden Grill (fun character meal) and Le Cellier.

At MK, our list of favorite restaurants is a bit shorter- Pecos Bills, the Plaza, Crystal Palace (very hit or miss), Be Our Guest, the egg roll cart in adventureland, Friar's nook and Pinocchio Village Haus depending on flatbread

Our dates are super close to Christmas 12/19-12/23. We are getting off of a cruise the 19th, so I figured this would be a good day to resort hop. Our options for MK are either on a party day or sandwiched between party days so I’m assuming it will be pretty crowded either way then? Are there Christmas parades this close to Christmas without doing the MVMCP? Which I would love to do by the way, but I can’t see our kids making it that late.

Based on the ages of your kids, and if any of them are Star Wars fans, I would make Hollywood Studios the second park after Magic Kingdom. Epcot is great for a couple rides but not an all day park with young kids. And Animal Kingdom just doesn’t have as much to offer Unless you guys are really into zoo stuff.

Magic Kingdom for sure, and I say Epcot as the second pick. I think Epcot has plenty for young kids. In fact, I'd say MOST of the attractions at Epcot are suitable for young kids: Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Turtle Talk with Crush, Figment, Living with the Land, Soarin', Ratatouille, Frozen Ever After, El Gran Fiesta (boat ride in Mexico with Donald and Three Caballeros). Add to that all of the holiday decor, food, music, and storytellers, and I think it's got plenty for kids young and old. :)

Have you considered 2 day park hopper tickets? I'd do MK on a party day and hop to Epcot, and then I'd do AK and hop to Epcot. I am not Star Wars fan and also don't do big coasters or things that go around in circles, so this works for me. I will say... if you are going in December 2022, I'd get tickets and make park reservations ASAP.

Have you considered 2 day park hopper tickets? I'd do MK on a party day and hop to Epcot, and then I'd do AK and hop to Epcot. I am not Star Wars fan and also don't do big coasters or things that go around in circles, so this works for me. I will say... if you are going in December 2022, I'd get tickets and make park reservations ASAP.
I’ve considered park hoppers! I was worried that parks would be capacity and we wouldn’t be able to hop

I’ve considered park hoppers! I was worried that parks would be capacity and we wouldn’t be able to hop
Even when park reservations are full, hopping is allowed. Hopping has been suspended only once, at MK for a few hours on the afternoon of October 1, 2021, the Walt Disney World 50th Anniversary. Even on Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve, 2021, hopping was allowed to all parks after 2 PM.

OTOH, if park reservations are full, the question would be how crowded the parks will be! Epcot is the largest park and can handle larger crowds, which makes it a reasonable hopping destination.

Totally agree with CarolynFH! If you can park hop, I'd pick MK, DHS, and leave Epcot for your hopper. Epcot is such a high capacity park I really can't imagine them running out of room. Maybe if they had some insanely popular narrator for the Candlelight Processional... but while the narrator list looks great this year, I don't think any of them will cause a run on the park. And I'm sure you know you can hop more than once (we've done all four parks in one day just for fun) so that may give you some additional flexibility. Have an amazing trip! Those are such fun kid ages for Disney that's great your mother-in-law can come, too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter