Which restaurants do you avoid & which ones are a must?

MagicalMomAZ said:
Madforda Mouse -
Do you have a Sprouts nearby? I know of one in Scottsdale & one in Glendale (may be more?) - but they sell the makin's for frozen bananas!!! Go to the produce section, beneath the banana stand they have boxes of chocolate, strawberry or peanut butter dip to make the frozen bananas from! Comes w/ popcicle sticks too. (Edited to say:) They're only $1.49 a box! .... plus bananas.

We made a lot of these this summer! ;)

Oh! Everyone keeps mentioning the Red Wagon corn dogs ... where is this place?

I've never heard of Sprouts, but I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it! Thanks for the tip!! We live in the Prescott area, about 1 1/2 hours above Glendale. I'll have to make a stop there on my next trip to Phoenix. I've tried the do-it-yourself approach without the kit and its just not the same (my chocolate seems thicker and clumpier), can't figure out if its the recipe or the cook :blush: . I'll try yours, sounds awesome!

BTW the red wagon (if I remember correctly) is on main street on the right side tucked in between two buildings, its nice and out of the way. The corndogs are made to order, so sometimes you have to wait a few minutes, but they are HUGE and the best I've ever had. I've been to Disneyland a hundred times and never knew it existed until a couple years ago, now its my Disney "have to" :woohoo:

Is the Dole Whip stand open in the off season? I've been to Disney before when the stand has been closed but wasn't sure why. I think I'll need to have one of those when I'm there too!

Hopefully I'll find time to go on rides between food stand stops popcorn::

MadfordaMouse said:
I've never heard of Sprouts, but I'll be sure to keep my eye out for it! Thanks for the tip!! We live in the Prescott area, about 1 1/2 hours above Glendale. I'll have to make a stop there on my next trip to Phoenix. I've tried the do-it-yourself approach without the kit and its just not the same (my chocolate seems thicker and clumpier), can't figure out if its the recipe or the cook :blush: . I'll try yours, sounds awesome!

BTW the red wagon (if I remember correctly) is on main street on the right side tucked in between two buildings, its nice and out of the way. The corndogs are made to order, so sometimes you have to wait a few minutes, but they are HUGE and the best I've ever had. I've been to Disneyland a hundred times and never knew it existed until a couple years ago, now its my Disney "have to" :woohoo:

I love Prescott!!!! We're considering moving there before our 8 yo starts HS ... Scottsdale is getting pretty bad as far as status quo, etc. 16 yo's driving new beemers ....ummm, NO Way! Relocating depends on DH's company however.
We are planning on visiting the Prescott Zoo next month again. I grew up having summers in Oak Creek Canyon & my g-parents lived in Mayer so Prescott was a common stop for us. :)

If you can get to Sprouts, there's one at Bell Rd & 55th Avenue I beleive. They're relatively new (we got ours 3/03) & sell natural & organic foods, produce is MUCH cheaper than Safeway or Fry's b/c they try and use local farms to supply. I think the frozen banana stuff the sell is comparable to that chocolate "shell" sauce sold for icecream (Hershey's or Smuckers).

mystic_path said:
Can you get other Dole Whips flavors other then pineapple? I am one who really doesnt like pineapple.

Not at Disneyland, though I have seen a strawberry version at WDW. The Tiki Bar at Disneyland serves pineapple, pineapple, and more pineapple. :-) (Dole whips, pineapple spears and pineapple juice.)

ScooterL said:
Not at Disneyland, though I have seen a strawberry version at WDW. The Tiki Bar at Disneyland serves pineapple, pineapple, and more pineapple. :-) (Dole whips, pineapple spears and pineapple juice.)

OH ok! I guess thats outa the question then :confused3.

Stage Door is counter service and you eat outside--they don't take reservations. You might be confusing this with the Golden Horseshoe, which has pretty much the same menu, though they're adding ice cream in as we speak. They used to take reservations but have not since 1999. They are first come, first serve. BTW, Golden Horseshoe will reopen on Sept 29th.

Since Whitewater snacks is a poolside cafe is it open year round? I'm going to DL in December and staying at the PPH......

Mono~rail said:
Blue Bayou is a MUST! There isn't anywhere we avoid. :mickeybar

Not a fan of Blue Bayou. But dont' hate it. But I can't stand Ariel's Grotto! HORRIBLE food, terrible service too.

We eat at Rainforest and For coutner service, we always hit the restaurant in CA, down at the warf near the tortilla factory with the salads and great sandwiches.

thanks for all this great info. we leave Oct. 13th for 4 nights at DLH. the only ressie I have so far is for Ariel's Grotto, but I think I'm gonna change it to Sunday. We want to do lunch- anyone have an opinion on the best time to go?

P.S. Hi there Echoqueen! Nice to bump into you again! Leigh

Whitewater is actually indoors. There are some outdoor tables, though. We usually eat indoors.

We always eat at the Rainforest Cafe, I love it in there and the food has always been good. We have ate at Taste Pilots and did find it good. We usually will do Goofy's Kitchen once as well.

Things I avoid? Well I will be avoiding the Dole Whips unfortunately. As yummy as it was the Pineapple juice was so strong, I must have had an allergic reaction to it and my lower lip swelled up shortly after drinking it. My stomach was also not feeling so well afterwards either. It was pretty strong juice! We also won't bother with Burger Invasion because it is McDonalds, a more pricey McDonalds at that. If we get McDonalds we just get it outside the park!

MadfordaMouse said:
Disney is the only place I chuck the ol Weight Watchers right out the window and just bury my head trough deep in whatever I'm craving at the moment! Heres some favorites:

The Riverbelle Terrace for Mickey pancakes and BBQ chicken and ribs

Blue Bayou monte cristo (I know, no brainer)

Blue Ribbon Bakery on MS for coffees and pastries in the morning, and the awesome cookies anytime!

Bread bowls with soup and salad at the French Market

I second the corndogs at the Red Wagon

I have a sickness for the frozen bananas, I don't know why, its been that way since childhood. The chocolate...the peanuts....great, now I'm hungry. Oh, and the churros! Love the churros!

We ALWAYS hit the Gibson Girl icecream parlour on our last night on our way out of the park for a giant waffle cone sundae--YUM

I'm going to live on celery and egg whites for the next two weeks so I can eat whatever I want when we get there! Good thing they don't have frozen bananas in AZ... :bitelip:

Don't hate me for this:

Slice bananas into bite-size slices
Toss in Magic Shell ice cream topping until covered
Sprinkle with chopped nuts (optional)
Freeze.

fabshelly said:
Don't hate me for this:

Freeze.

Hate you? How about hug you?! :hug:
I'm going to try it this weekend (and my double boiler is going into retirement) :banana:
Thanks!

mystic_path said:
Can you get other Dole Whips flavors other then pineapple? I am one who really doesnt like pineapple.

I'm not a pineapple fan, either, but I'm gonna try one!

fabshelly said:
Don't hate me for this:

Freeze.

That sounds much better than celery and egg whites!

mom2dzb said:
That sounds much better than celery and egg whites!

If only they made pants with the little elastic expanders on the inside like toddler pants...they could sell them outside the BB in a little gift shop. Maybe a pirate version? :thumbsup2

We always hit Blue Bayou, it's on our must do list. We also love the Dole Whips at the Tiki Room. Another newer favorite (as weird as it sounds) is the Mexican restaurant near Thunder Mountain. We like the garlic shrimp they have there. We've also been happy with Red Rockets (I think that's what it's called) over by Space Mountain.

Haven't come across anything we'd avoid, but then again we're always famished when we finally break to eat! :)

Oh that's right, add burger invasion to my avoid list as well. Seriously I can get McDonalds ANYWHERE on the planet...why would i want it at Disneyland when they offer so many types of food? :confused3

I was told when I made my PS reservations to avoid the Mexican resturaunt in DTD , and like an idiot I had take out from there..............TERRIBLE!
I am a big fan of the fried chicken at river bell terrace or plaza inn , I like it better then Knott's Berry famrs famous fried chicken.
The ice cream at the train place in California Adventure is unbelieveable, wish I could remeber the name, but someone will for me.
And the cheese fries at
ESPN zone :cheer2: :cheer2: The best!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter