Which day to do Legoland?

Rubygoose

Everybody's got a laughing place
We will be staying at DLH from Aug 21-28th and will rent a car for a daytrip to Legoland. My kids will be 4.5 and 7 and are both really into Lego. We arrive on a Thursday and want to spend Friday and Saturday at DLR. Trying to decide between Sunday or Monday for Legoland. Is school back in by this time? Which park would be better/worse on the Sunday? Also, is one day enough for Legoland, or should we do two?

Hi. Your kids are the perfect age for Legoland! Our son just turned 6 and LL is his second favorite amusement park in SoCal (after DL of course!) One full day will be enough for the main park. As for schools:

San Diego - not in session, though the cities of Oceanside and Carlsbad (where LL is located) ARE in
LA - in session
Orange County - not uniform amongst the different cities, but more are in session than not, Anaheim IS in

So if the choice for your Sunday and Monday is DL one day, LL the other - I personally would definitely do LL on the Sunday, DL on the Monday. The Sunday will be very busy at LL. And if it's hot (and chances are it will be) the waterpark at LL will be crowded. But the main LL park will be nothing compared to how busy DL will be. Just get to LL at opening to get in some rides without long waits, then use your afternoon for the more interactive lego activities/play areas.

The Monday at DL will be soooo much better than a Sunday since LA and so many of the OC schools will in session on Monday. We're in San Diego and love spending a couple days at DL the last week of August - very nice crowd levels.

**Now if you could do LL on Monday, DL on Tues, that would be truly ideal. And if your kids like water parks, you might consider doing the LL water park on Sunday (just get there at opening so you get chairs and nice spot to relax between slides and all.) DL to LL is only about 45 min. - an hour driving. The LL water park is great for your kids' ages and very clean and they're opening a new section next month. LL has an awesome multi-day parkhopper deal online.

We are going almost the exact same days and have kids almost the exact same ages! Our plan was to do LL mid-week to break up all the Disneyness.

We were just planning to do one day in the main park. It sounds like maybe we should plan for 2? One main park and one waterpark? In that case we would probably go there first thing and do a night at the LL hotel to avoid driving back and forth twice. Does that make sense?

Oh yikes, just priced out the Legoland hotel! $400/night plus park tickets is ruling out a multi-day adventure for us.

I think we might take a tour bus trip. The price looks about the same as gate ticket prices?

Right now, the plan is to do Legoland on the Monday. We're getting APs for DLR, so we'll have 7 days in DLR, making Monday the best day to get to Legoland when it will be a bit quieter, hopefully. DH doesn't want to pack up and switch hotels, so we'll just do a day trip. We're going to rent a car from DTD for just the one day. They have after hour return, so we can drop it off if we get back after 6pm. It's only $30 plus gas. I think we'll just do the regular park and skip the water park. It looks fun, but I think it would take up too much time. We'll pack the kids swimsuits for all of the other splash areas in the regular park.

Oh yikes, just priced out the Legoland hotel! $400/night plus park tickets is ruling out a multi-day adventure for us.

I think we might take a tour bus trip. The price looks about the same as gate ticket prices?

I agree that the LegoLand hotel is way over priced. But if it is getting booked at that price, maybe it is not overpriced. Maybe it is the early entry to LegoLand that people are really paying that much for.

I am as much a Lego fan as anyone I know, and I choose to book the resort across the street.
I got a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom suite, and LegoLand tickets, and saved enough money to buy Lego bedding and enough Lego to really deck out our room.

It will also be nice having a kitchen, that we get in the suite across the street.
We will be staying in the Grand Californian (DVC villa) after we visit LegoLand.
So having a Kitchen in both hotels, will work well for helping us save money on food.

I will be having at least one meal in the LegoLand hotel, so I don't feel like a squatter when I explore the hotel.

One thing that significantly influenced my decision to not book the LegoLand hotel, was the lack of a 2nd bathroom in the largest suite.
The resort across the street does have 2 bathrooms in the 2 bedroom suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter