Which companies let you pick your own rental car?

Leni-J

Earning My Ears
Can anyone tell me which rental car companies at Orlando allow you to select your own car when you go out to the garage? Do they all do this?

We use Alamo for almost every trip and they left you pick your car - you just go to the aisle for the size you reserved and pick one. Dollar and Budget also let us choose our car when we used them in the past. Since Alamo and National are basically the same company National also lets you pick your car. Not sure of any of the others.

National is most known for this, if you're part of their program (free to join). Alamo shares the same fleet and is similar in design.

Budget, from recollection (although the PP may have more recent experience) does not, they assign you car.

Hertz uses a pre-assigned car, but offers Hertz Gold Canopy, and you just walk right to your assigned car. You have to be a Hertz Gold member (there is a cost, but there are many legitimate ways to get the fee waived). I mostly rent with Hertz, so most of my experience is with their service.

Thrifty and Dollar I do not believe offer this service on a regular basis.

Is the 'choose-your-own' logic similar for Alamo at other airports (like Philly (-:

Thrifty allows you to pick your car.

Just did this last summer.

My husband uses Avis, Hertz, Alamo and Enterprise for work. When he gets there early, he is always able to pick his vehicle from what is available.

My husband uses Avis, Hertz, Alamo and Enterprise for work. When he gets there early, he is always able to pick his vehicle from what is available.

Your husband can get there at anytime and select his vehicle from Alamo, Enterprise or National. Time of day has nothing to do with it. :)

The last time we rented Enterprise at MCO they let us walk up the row of cars and pick the one we wanted from what was available in our price category at the time.

As a PP said, Hertz generally assigns you a car without your input when you show up, but you can easily ask them what's available and negotiate another car in that class if there's something else available. Just be nice and they will work with you.

Hertz is rolling out a "Gold Choice" program. According to the website, Gold members who reserve a midsize will be able to "select from a comparable vehicle in the Gold Choice area", according to the Hertz website.

It's supposed to open at MCO in November. If anyone tries it, let us know!

I've used Dollar most of our trip's and this past trip in October was the first time we picked our own vehicle. The biggest trunk in our class was the Ford Taurus.

I've used Dollar most of our trip's and this past trip in October was the first time we picked our own vehicle. The biggest trunk in our class was the Ford Taurus.

It does have a very large trunk, 20.1 cubic feet. It is also a very classy looking car.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter