Which airport should I fly into?

Pooh_Friend#1

<font color=blue>Check out my year round tan!</fon
I haven't been to DisneyLand in over 15 years, but my SO and I have a chance to go there for a weekend. I am not sure which airport is better to fly into as there were 4 choices; LA, Orange County, Long Beach, or Ontario. Are they all close and easy to get to Disneyland and back in a weekend?

Orange County(12 miles) is closest followed by Long Beach(14 miles).

samkj said:
Orange County(12 miles) is closest followed by Long Beach(14 miles).
Thank you, I am wondering why Disney suggest to fly into Ontario that is 35 miles away?

I had great experience w/ John Wayne....horrible with LAX. I'll always fly into John Wayne from now on.

Pooh_Friend#1 said:
Thank you, I am wondering why Disney suggest to fly into Ontario that is 35 miles away?

Because 35 miles is not that far, and sometimes you can get good times or rates flying there. I really like Long Beach or Orange county, and find they usually meet requirements for price and times. LOng Beach is a super easy drive. Orange county isnt bad, but not as easy. Orange offers more shuttle/ bus options if you wont have a car.

Ontario. They have Disney advertisments there nad you can buy your tickets there too!

Long Beach is the easiest airport to navigate in my opinion. Does Jet Blue fly from where you live? If so, you can fly into LB on them. It's a great airline and a super great airport!!!

Sorry to hijack the thread. How far is it from LAX to DL? We have to fly into there as we are flying direct from London HR.

Pooh_Friend#1 said:

There are often airline deals to fly into the "other" airports to help reduce the air traffic at LAX. And I am guessing since Ontario most likely is the lightest in terms of air traffic - it has more advertising.

Thanks for all the great responses. I checked airfare and they are all around the same price. Problem is I have to fly threw American Airlines and the only direct flight is to LAX. I live in CO and I would have a layover in either TX or Chicago if I wanted to fly into any of the other 2 airports.

I put my frqurnt flyer miles back in and am paying to fly jet blue into Long beach, I was not excited about going into LAX, been there before and to big and congested for me.

Is LAX really that bad? We are flying in on Monday the 16th at 2:40 in the afternoon and getting a rental car. My sister told me it was worth the extra $ to fly into a different airport, but if we are just getting our luggage and car, will it really be that bad?

LAX is a bit further, which means that much more traffic / freeways to deal with. Also their car rentals are not on site. You'll have to take a shuttle to the car lot. But, since your already booked, I wouldnt worry and stress over it!

Danauk said:
Sorry to hijack the thread. How far is it from LAX to DL? We have to fly into there as we are flying direct from London HR.

Its about 35 miles. We have only used the airport bus to get to the resort from that airport- seems like it took about an hour, maybe a little longer. Not sure how long it will take you to drive if you rent a car.

staley7580 said:
Is LAX really that bad? We are flying in on Monday the 16th at 2:40 in the afternoon and getting a rental car. My sister told me it was worth the extra $ to fly into a different airport, but if we are just getting our luggage and car, will it really be that bad?
Think afternoon rush hour traffic, on Monday no less ... I wouldn't want to do it. Although I havn't flown into LAX, my DH has and he will always choose SNA over LAX, it's way to busy. Good luck with your trip and I hope the travel time isn't bad for you :goodvibes

We always fly into SNA. We have been able to get a non-stop from STL to SNA, but that one always seems to sell out first (obviously :) ) if we don't book early enough. It is an easy drive to DL from there. It takes us maybe 20 min, we always fly in as early in the day as we can.

Personally, I've never had any bad experiences with LAX. I've only had a few flights canceled, but it actually worked to my advantage 'coz they put me on an earlier flight! I always fly Southwest, I rarely, if ever, deal with any other airline. I like the cheap rates, and the Rapid Rewards Program. But yeah, I can see how the driving gets to people. Bumper to bumper isn't the best in the world. :)

...Joe...

I dont mind rush hour traffic becouse I have 2 small kids. they will most likely be exausted from the flight and will sleep, giving us some peace and quiet after a (most likely) hectic day. The longer the car ride, the happier we ALL are.

Given the choice of the 4, I'd choose 1. SNA, 2. ONT, 3. LAX. (We haven't flown into LGB yet; we will in Nov.) I've posted in similir threads that I prefer the smaller airports; it's just easier to get in and out of there. Still, it depends on the schedule and price for the particular day.

Captjackson said:
I've posted in similir threads that I prefer the smaller airports; it's just easier to get in and out of there.

If you like them small, you like Long Beach. Its as small as they come. You board out on the tarmac, via rolling stairs. Their bagage claim is outside, near the parking lot. They roll the carts over from the plane and set them out. No belts, ramps, etc. It took me longer to pick up the rental car then to get our bags.

I've never had any problems with LAX airport itself, but the neighborhood it's in is a bit dodgy. So, since for my January trip I'll be alone, arriving well after dark, and renting a car, I'm much more comfortable with SNA.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter