Where to stay with our guests

carissa1970

DIS Veteran
My DH and I will have company for our WDW trip in June of 2015, good friends of ours. This will be their first experience with DVC and WDW. Where should we book a 2 br to make their vacation a WOW vacation, but not use up a ton of points? I'm thinking about Animal Kingdom (not sure about Jambo or Kidani), Saratoga Springs, or Boardwalk. Any input is appreciated! We will have our DS 9 with us, so interesting things for kids is important, too. We have only stayed at OKW before, never anywhere else.

Animal Kingdom does have a lot of wow factor - I think our next trip with guests will be there as we will have a kid in prime animal age with us. We own Boardwalk, so we've done guests with the Boardwalk view - adult guests usually enjoy being able to walk into Epcot. However, don't count on a standard view at BWV being available. If you get it, go for it, but they are often gone before the seven month window.

I would go with Kidani if you wanted to wow friends. Even a standard view there would impress, and the there are many places to view animals. There is an excellent Community Room for kids in Kidani with free and "for a charge" crafts. The CM's are so friendly. There are activities for adults and children alike to earn "beads."

Bobbi:goodvibes

Animal Kingdom does have a lot of wow factor - I think our next trip with guests will be there as we will have a kid in prime animal age with us. We own Boardwalk, so we've done guests with the Boardwalk view - adult guests usually enjoy being able to walk into Epcot. However, don't count on a standard view at BWV being available. If you get it, go for it, but they are often gone before the seven month window.

If we were going alone, we'd definitely choose Boardwalk because I want to walk to Epcot. I'm not sure how much park time our friends are planning, though, so I think AK may be better. And you are correct, I'd have to book at the 7 month window. Maybe I will have to just take whatever we can get at that point!

I would go with Kidani if you wanted to wow friends. Even a standard view there would impress, and the there are many places to view animals. There is an excellent Community Room for kids in Kidani with free and "for a charge" crafts. The CM's are so friendly. There are activities for adults and children alike to earn "beads." Bobbi:goodvibes

This is what I'm leaning towards, but there are so many people arguing about Kidani vs. Jambo that I don't know what to think! Lol.

This is what I'm leaning towards, but there are so many people arguing about Kidani vs. Jambo that I don't know what to think! Lol.

Since you mention a 2 bedroom, I honestly do not think there is any comparison that would favor a 2 bedroom at Jambo over a 2 bedroom in Kidani.

For instance, it is only at Kidani that you can get a dedicated 2 bedroom, with 2 queen beds in the second bedroom if that is important. The balconies on these dedicated 2 bedroom run the full length of the villa. Only at Kidani do you have a separate whirlpool and a shower stall in the Master bathroom. This room is huge and beautiful. In Jambo, the whirlpool is part of the tub, shower combo. In Kidani, a 2 bedroom, lock off or dedicated has 3 bathrooms. In Jambo, all 2 bedrooms are lock offs, and all have 2 bathrooms.

I love Jambo and will chose it whenever I book a studio. For most cases when I want a 1-2 bedroom I have picked Kidani! Only Jambo has value rooms, and when I book value units, 1-2 bedrooms, then I have to have Jambo.

You can use both pool areas, participate in all activities in either building, no matter which building you are in!

Bobbi:)

My DH and I will have company for our WDW trip in June of 2015, good friends of ours. This will be their first experience with DVC and WDW. Where should we book a 2 br to make their vacation a WOW vacation, but not use up a ton of points? I'm thinking about Animal Kingdom (not sure about Jambo or Kidani), Saratoga Springs, or Boardwalk. Any input is appreciated! We will have our DS 9 with us, so interesting things for kids is important, too. We have only stayed at OKW before, never anywhere else.
Since this is their first trip I assume they'll be interested in a lot of park time. And since you only mentioned the one child, I'm assuming that any 2 BR will be sufficient to provide bedding and other amenities. I'm assuming OKW is your home resort since you mentioned you'd only stayed there.

With those assumptions in mind I'd book home resort then try to get BWV standard and likely go with SSR at 7 months out if BWV were not available. Nice pools, close to DD and fairly low points. I'd wait list BWV standard and possibly AKV value. For more points, BLT and the rest of BWV would be good additions to your list of possibilities.

Since this is their first trip I assume they'll be interested in a lot of park time. And since you only mentioned the one child, I'm assuming that any 2 BR will be sufficient to provide bedding and other amenities. I'm assuming OKW is your home resort since you mentioned you'd only stayed there. With those assumptions in mind I'd book home resort then try to get BWV standard and likely go with SSR at 7 months out if BWV were not available. Nice pools, close to DD and fairly low points. I'd wait list BWV standard and possibly AKV value. For more points, BLT and the rest of BWV would be good additions to your list of possibilities.

Our home resort is actually Aulani...we've only been to WDW once, last summer, and stayed at OKW. I guess the way I wrote it implied we'd been many times but only to OKW. Sorry! I appreciate the advice...I probably would choose SSR over OKW just because of the ability to walk to DTD. Not sure, though.

Since you mention a 2 bedroom, I honestly do not think there is any comparison that would favor a 2 bedroom at Jambo over a 2 bedroom in Kidani. For instance, it is only at Kidani that you can get a dedicated 2 bedroom, with 2 queen beds in the second bedroom if that is important. The balconies on these dedicated 2 bedroom run the full length of the villa. Only at Kidani do you have a separate whirlpool and a shower stall in the Master bathroom. This room is huge and beautiful. In Jambo, the whirlpool is part of the tub, shower combo. In Kidani, a 2 bedroom, lock off or dedicated has 3 bathrooms. In Jambo, all 2 bedrooms are lock offs, and all have 2 bathrooms. I love Jambo and will chose it whenever I book a studio. For most cases when I want a 1-2 bedroom I have picked Kidani! Only Jambo has value rooms, and when I book value units, 1-2 bedrooms, then I have to have Jambo. You can use both pool areas, participate in all activities in either building, no matter which building you are in! Bobbi:)

This is helpful! Thank you!

Our home resort is actually Aulani...we've only been to WDW once, last summer, and stayed at OKW. I guess the way I wrote it implied we'd been many times but only to OKW. Sorry! I appreciate the advice...I probably would choose SSR over OKW just because of the ability to walk to DTD. Not sure, though.
For this situation I'd agree that SSR is better than OKW even if you would have a car and use it. I am concerned you'll spend more on points than you need to and then everyone will be at the parks all day and not get the full enjoyment of the resort. I do feel the ability to walk to EPCOT would be a big plus. There's really no wrong answer to this situation other than using too many points you wouldn't really benefit from.

:) I agree with Bobbiwoz completely and will also mention that standard DVC at Jambo is pool view ( someone will correct me if I am wrong). So a standard 2 bedroom would still have good view ...the human savanna :rolleyes: The Lobby at Jambo is spectacular. It is magnificent and jaw dropping, then to see the animals makes it Wow!!

Kidani is just as lovely but in a smaller more homey way. So to me it would be based on what you thought your guests would like or need. Would they want more room ( 3rd bathroom at Kidani) or more dinning options. Both have lovely pools. Jambo has more dinning options.

The other good thing about Kidani is that Park buses stop there first, then Jambo, making transportation just a little easier.

If you choose Kidani for the better space the Wow factor will be there, I promise!!

Of course, a view of the boardwalk is just as nice as a view of strolling giraffes.

I just got back from a week in a dedicated 2 bedroom savanna view at AKV-Kidani. If we hadn't been traveling with my sister's family (which includes two 5year old twins), we would have been at the BWV. We own there & I love it!

That said, the Kidani 2B definitely has the WOW factor. The furnishings are a cut above those at the BWV and as you probably know, it has 3 bathrooms. I truly loved seeing all the animals from the very large balcony. The twins loved the animals, the pool and the slide at Kidani.

FWIW, I had no trouble at all booking this at 7 months (even though it was during the spring break period & I worried about it). There was availability to book the same thing until about 2 months prior. I honestly do not think there will be any problem booking Kidani at 7 month for a June vacation.

Another feature of Kidani that I loved was the real-time display screens at the bus stop. They listd each location (MK, EpCOT, DD, etc,) and the time the next bus was expected. Perhaps we were lucky, but we seldom waited more than a few minutes for a bus the entire week and the bus stopped only at Jambo (or not at all for DD) before proceeding to the destination. The last time we were at BWV, there was no such display - hope they plan to put them at all the bus stops, especially at DD.

While I did miss walking to EPCOT & DHS, it was no hardship at all to use the Kidani buses. :)

My sister and my hard to please brother-in-law both said "Wow" when they walked in the first time. My DBIL was ready to move in permanently, LOL.

I'm sure your friends will have fun where ever you choose to stay.

Another feature of Kidani that I loved was the real-time display screens at the bus stop. They listd each location (MK, EpCOT, DD, etc,) and the time the next bus was expected. Perhaps we were lucky, but we seldom waited more than a few minutes for a bus the entire week and the bus stopped only at Jambo (or not at all for DD) before proceeding to the destination. The last time we were at BWV, there was no such display - hope they plan to put them at all the bus stops, especially at DD.

wow - i hadn't heard anything about that before!
:thumbsup2

and of course, glad to hear you had a great time! :)

I just got back from a week in a dedicated 2 bedroom savanna view at AKV-Kidani. If we hadn't been traveling with my sister's family (which includes two 5year old twins), we would have been at the BWV. We own there & I love it! That said, the Kidani 2B definitely has the WOW factor. The furnishings are a cut above those at the BWV and as you probably know, it has 3 bathrooms. I truly loved seeing all the animals from the very large balcony. The twins loved the animals, the pool and the slide at Kidani. FWIW, I had no trouble at all booking this at 7 months (even though it was during the spring break period & I worried about it). There was availability to book the same thing until about 2 months prior. I honestly do not think there will be any problem booking Kidani at 7 month for a June vacation. Another feature of Kidani that I loved was the real-time display screens at the bus stop. They listd each location (MK, EpCOT, DD, etc,) and the time the next bus was expected. Perhaps we were lucky, but we seldom waited more than a few minutes for a bus the entire week and the bus stopped only at Jambo (or not at all for DD) before proceeding to the destination. The last time we were at BWV, there was no such display - hope they plan to put them at all the bus stops, especially at DD. While I did miss walking to EPCOT & DHS, it was no hardship at all to use the Kidani buses. :) My sister and my hard to please brother-in-law both said "Wow" when they walked in the first time. My DBIL was ready to move in permanently, LOL. I'm sure your friends will have fun where ever you choose to stay.

That sounds great! Thanks!

I am trying to decide the same for March 2015 We will be taking kids friends (sisters 15 & 11) and considering asking if the parents want to join. Made BWV 2bdrm ressie at 11 months for the first 5 nights. Can't make the last 2 nights until 7 months. Don't know where to stay for sure

We've taken friends with us to both BWV and AKV. We actually booked based on the interests of the friends traveling with us.

The family we took with us to BWV are not particularly interested in animals, wanted to do rope drop at all the parks (and so could walk to both Epcot and DHS from BWV), and both the mother and daughter are joggers, and so could jog the loop around the Epcot hotels most mornings. It was the perfect trip for them. (We are BWV owners, and so were able to book BWV at 11 months, and that provides a degree of WOW factor, as well.) They absolutely loved it, and have been hinting that they would love to join us some time again. (We loved traveling with them, and would love to travel with them again, too.)

The family we took with us to AKV had a 9 year old animal loving daughter. That made AKV a very easy choice, as it is also my DS's favorite resort. We actually prefer Jambo House for first impressions for guests, because we love that lobby, and the easy access to view animals on 3 different savannahs. The lobby has more of a wow factor, even if the rooms do not, and we love being on top of Jiko, the Mara, and Boma. We always get Savannah View, but we spend a lot of time in our room, and for us, being able to watch the animals from our balcony while we drink our coffee in the morning or sip a glass of wine in the evening is one of the most magical parts of our trip.

I would definitely recommend either BWV or AKV with guests. Yes, I'm biased, we own at both, but we bought at both because we love them!

OKW is actually our favorite resort. The 3 bathrooms are nice. The units at OKW are the largest on the disney property though. Also if laundry is important it is the full size in a laundry room at OKW where as at Kidahni it will be a stackable apartment size. I would also go with a lockoff unit instead of a dedicated 2bdrm to give your guests that added bit of privacy if wanted. If they want to stay out later one night and don't want to disturb you when coming in. OKW is so pretty and the rooms so large that it still has a wow factor. We loved our stay at Kidahni but we did miss the extra room of the OKW units. There are lots of pros and cons to both resorts. I would list them all and then look at them side by side. pixiedust:

OKW is actually our favorite resort. The 3 bathrooms are nice. The units at OKW are the largest on the disney property though. Also if laundry is important it is the full size in a laundry room at OKW where as at Kidahni it will be a stackable apartment size. I would also go with a lockoff unit instead of a dedicated 2bdrm to give your guests that added bit of privacy if wanted. If they want to stay out later one night and don't want to disturb you when coming in. OKW is so pretty and the rooms so large that it still has a wow factor. We loved our stay at Kidahni but we did miss the extra room of the OKW units. There are lots of pros and cons to both resorts. I would list them all and then look at them side by side. pixiedust:

Good idea. My husband and I set the goal to stay at every DVC property at least once, and so far we have stayed at Aulani, Grand Californian, and OKW. Personally I'd like to try another one just to work toward our goal, but you make some excellent points about OKW.

I agree with this. Also, OKW uses fewer points than other resorts. If your friends have never stayed in a DVC resort, they will probably be wow'ed by any of them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter