Where to stay in LA?

Koda

DIS Veteran
We will be heading to LA after our time at DLR. I am debating on which area of LA to stay in. We will be visiting US, and doing all of the Hollywood touristy stuff. We also want to visit Santa Monica and Venice Beach. I have heard that the Hollywood area is not the most desirable place to stay (dirty, unsafe, etc). Is this true? What about the Universal City hotels? The Beverly Garland Holiday Inn looks nice, and in a good location.

I have also considered staying in Santa Monica, but the hotels seem pretty pricey for what you get.

Any other suggestions, or input would be appreciated!:)

Never stayed at any of these places, but the Beverly Garland does seem like a good choice, as would the Hollywood Renaissance hotel, which (I'm pretty sure) is the hotel used for American Idol's "Hollywood Week". The latter hotel has a great location - near the Hollywood & Highland center and thus Grauman's Chinese Theater, Kodak Theater, El Capitan, and Red Line subway, which can take you to Universal Studios. The Beverly Garland isn't as conveniently located.

Have you looked into Century City/ Westwood/ Beverly Hills? It's in between Santa Monica and Universal (closer to the former). As I'm a local, I don't know the difference in prices, but these areas are upscale and safe.

Hi, We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is just a bit further up from the Rennaisance and worked out a lot cheaper for us. We're a family of 5, the rate included a great continental breakfast. The suite was a great size too. We had no issues as to feeling unsafe, but having young children we were back at the hotel by 9. It was a short walk to the walk of fame etc. We took two buses to Venice Beach and hired bikes up to Santa Monica, it took close to an hour each way. If time is an issue I would look at getting a car.

Thank you so much for your advice! We have decided to stay at the Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame. Kalice, we are also a family of 5, so the suite sounds perfect for us!

I had originally thought we would stay in Santa Monica for our whole time in the LA area, and drive in to visit Hollywood and Universal. After talking with others who have been there, it sounded like we could potentially be spending hours in the car just traveling in and out of Hollywood! I decided to split up the trip, and spend 2 nights in Hollywood, then finish our vacation with a couple of beach days in Santa Monica. I can't wait!:yay:

Just an FYI: We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express Hollywood Walk of Fame at the end of June, and had a great experience! The hotel is very clean, and our room looked newly painted/refurbished. We had a nice size fridge, microwave, and coffee maker in our room. The room was a great size for our family of 5, and the beds very comfortable. The breakfast was not extravagant, but very good. We walked 2-4 blocks to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Graumann's Chinese Theater, and Hollywood and Highland complex. We also drove North on highland to Mulholland drive, where we got some great views of the city, and the Hollywood sign. Universal was only about a 10-15 minute drive. There is a small strip mall across the street whith a convenience store (sels beer and wine!), a Subway, and a pizza place. We walked over and got subs for supper one night after our day at Universal.

Hollywood is definitely not glitzy and glamorous. We did see our share of street people, and I wouldn't walk around at night by myself, but we never felt unsafe at this hotel.

I am poolside at the Beverly Garland right now. Hotel is very clean and staff is wonderful. Shuttle to park ran right on time too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter