Where is the strangest place you have played sports?

In the early 1960's I played semi-pro baseball. One of our games was played inside the walls of a state prison in Pendleton, IN. We played the inmates baseball team. The outfield fence was the prison walls.

I'd think my own high school gym. It was kind of old, but fairly well maintained. However, it had maybe a 60s era wooden floor design that was meant to be springy like a trampoline. Spectators could see the floor shake when someone ran by. It's gone now, and there's been discussion that this design caused lots of injuries when it was originally thought of as being less likely to cause injury.

I didn't play there per se, but once upon a time I was into volleyball and attended a girls' club event that many of the top coaches attended. I even saw a few who I knew (long story). But the location was just weird - a repurposed hangar at the former Naval Air Station Alameda. I've heard of such club tournaments being played at convention centers and the like, but this was really weird. It was all Sport Court laid directly on the concrete floor. And the building wasn't heated, which made a near record cold spell even worse. There were people (and even players on the sideline) covered up with blankets and a lot of spectators brough vacuum bottles with various hot liquids to stay warm.

In 2000 I got to play basketball in the empty 65,000 seat Metrodome. I was working security and one of the big wigs was a guy short for a pickup game on the floor on the off day.

I've already heard of some really weird ones. A former coworker was a student at Caltech and they had a club football program. Their home games were played at a nearly empty Rose Bowl stadium. The joke was that there were more players than there were people watching.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter