Where Else Do You Travel Solo?

LovetoTigger

Earning My Ears
First of all, my favorite place in the world is WDW! Since my divorce a few years ago, I've still continued WDW trips with my teenager, and I'm looking forward to many solo trips in my future!!! I'm so comfortable at WDW, I wouldn't hesitate to go alone at all. But I'm curious as to where else you single folks travel for getaways? Living in Georgia, I've made some solo beach trips, but I've yet to hope on a plane somewhere. So, do any of you sometimes travel anywhere besides WDW?

Cruising solo is also an option but you will pay a fare of 150%. I have been on a ton of cruises and have meet several singles (varying ages) who have had a great time cruising by themselves.

I've been to these places solo:
Los Angeles/Anaheim (Disneyland), CA
San Francisco, CA
Ocean City, MD
Hershey, PA
NYC
Virginia Beach, VA
and of course WDW (countless times solo here)

I think that's it----I've enjoyed every trip!

Hi,

Besides Walt Disney World I did a few solo trips to Las Vegas.
Las Vegas is an ideal location for a solo trip, of course if you like it. Thats with Las Vegas. You like it very much or you don't like it at all.

Marcel.

I traveled to Australia solo a few years ago and it was the best trip ever! Traveling alone made me more open to talking to people along the way. I had so many great conversations that I would have missed if I had been with my family/friends. Of course, it did help that Aussies are truly the nicest, friendliest people you could ever meet!

I also did a spa trip last Sept. to Aventura, FL which was wonderful. That's a great solo trip because you do all your treatments and relaxing alone anyway!

been to Panama City Beach, Fl and Hilton Head, SC - both great places on solo trips!

also Stockbridge, Ga (south of Atlanta) - my brother lives here - but I don't stay with him.

Oklahoma City, Oklahome - okay I am crazy at the time - liked a guy....

most of the time I pick places where I can drive too - control issue - that a surprising number of singles have that problem

- if you don't have it - I would go to the Carribean Island - St Johns is very nice also hear good things about Aruba....

I would also go to Cancun - would be fun - but I don't want to fly!!!

Not to mention the Hawaii Islands...

then there is Egypt....Chile...Thailand...Australia

oh yea - I have alot of traveling to do yet!!!

i'm 54, woman professor in georgia, enjoy traveling solo but also would enejoy traveling with other solo women. i love the beach and can enjoy solo. timeshares are great for solo trips. i'm headed to marriott's newport beach for our spring break. headed to bwv (for first stay there) in studio in june, then oregon coast timeshare in july. also planninig a timeshare trip to vegas for fall break last week in october. then i have a trip to marriott's grande ocean in december on hilton head and then to marriott's grande visita for christmas week. i vote for resort timeshare stays for solo trips, alone but not completely, stuff to do on site, comfortable, can get good deals oftentimes, safe, etc. most time i get a two bedroom unit, hoping to find someone else to join me, but it's hard to find women with the time and money to share trips.

:wave: Hi. This is my first time coming to this board, and I am SO excited to finally find a 'solo vacationer' board.

I've cruised three times solo, and it's wonderful. I am budget-minded, BUT don't mind paying the supplemental fare for solo cruisers. I like my privacy, and don't want to share a cabin. It's also very nice to be able to do 'my own thing' whenever I want, and not have to answer to anyone, or consider them when I make my plans.

I've been asked many times if I'm "out looking for a man"......far from it. I've been divorced for over a dozen years, and truly like my single life. I thoroughly enjoy people in general, and like to indulge in lively conversations - mostly at dinner on a cruise. Otherwise, I take off and do my own excursions, or just laze the day away with a good book and a nice little fru-fru drink.

I'm looking for a few days in Orlando, but all I want to see is EPCOT - again. It's been many years, and I want to do the "Nations" again. Hoping to get some insight from this board.

Originally posted by PRB
:
I've been asked many times if I'm "out looking for a man"

This reminds me of a funny encounter I had once with new coworkers who just didn't "get" why I'd want to go solo to Disney. They were sure I must be having a secret rendevouz there. A long-time co-worker, who really understood my love for WDW told them one day, confidentally, looking around as if for eavesdroppers.."OK, the truth is, she IS meeting a man. His name is..." [pause while everyone leans in, about to get some 'juicy gossip'].."Mickey!" Although they still didn't "get it", I don't think, at least they stopped bugging me and accepted that I really just enjoyed WDW solo.

I've travelled to New York solo many times, and also to Las Vegas semi-solo (travelled on my own, but met up with some relatives for a wedding). I'm hoping to go on a solo trip to Vancouver sometime soon.

I would love to do a cruise sometime. I would love to do the Disney cruise, but I wonder if that would be a good one to do solo.

Karen

I live in NY, and I love to go to Ocean City NJ alone.

I have made several solo trips to WDW over the years, also STPete, Tampa and Tallahassee, Panama City.

I have been to Atlanta, Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg/Biltmore Estate....

I have been to NYC alone a number of times by train.

I haven't taken any "big" trips since I don't like to fly. I have stuck to road trips.

I recently got married, so my solo trips are over. We're coming to WDW next month and then flying to Germany for 2 weeks in June.

Karen

I think it is totally cool so many people can travel solo. I like to do thinks alone, but I don't think I could ever go to Disney alone. I would feel so self-concious. Please give me some tips on how to get over this and enjoy time being alone.

I am going with my wife and daughter in August, but one day I would like to try the solo thing if I could just get over this insecurity.

:bounce: going in August and I can't wait.

I travel for work and can frequently take weekend trips on the company dime. I have travelled to NYC, Amsterdam, London, Chicago, Dallas, & Paris.

I am comfortable dining solo but if I am in a chatty mood I sit at the bar and always seem to find someone to talk with. I carry a paper book in backpack so I have something to read if I have a long wait. I also write a travel journal so many times I just find a shady spot and write.

Rachel
Pictures from My Trips & Travels

I've really enjoyed reading these posts! I am also divorced and happily single. Almost all my vacations have been with my children (just a few short solo trips to amusement parks or out to a nice restaurant), but I'm going on my first solo trip to WDW next week :) and will have the opportunity to do more this summer. I'm considering a self-directed "Civil War tour" of Savannah, Charleston, Antietam, and Gettysburg. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. :)

I have gone all kinds of places solo. I travel all over the US solo for business and have gone to Paris, London and Madrid solo overseas.

I went to Europe solo for my 30th birthday and am SO proud of myself! I'm quite the shy type (and have social anxiety disorder), so it was a big deal for me!

I spent one night & day in NYC before heading out to Paris. NYC was completely solo.

First stop Disneyland Paris-- completely solo for 3 days

Took the train to London and met a tour group there (London to Paris with group). I'd MuCh rather have done the tour group solo than with a friend/SO. I got to hang out with all the "singles" and had a blast. During the group trip, we had several free days, so I got some free time in London and then some in Paris.

Then I stayed a few days after the group tour finished. A guy from the group decided to stay with me a couple of days (ooh la la ;) ) and then I stayed an extra day all by myself.

I really am getting spoiled. I'm going to Boston and Montreal next month. It started as a solo trip, but now a friend's coming with me. I swear I'm already daydreaming about having solo time, because she's driving me nuts just with the planning!! I am so used to doing what I want to do!!!

Hi,

I traveled solo to WDW October 13-20, 2000 and December 3-14, 2003.

Cooperstown, NY with a bus tour. June 15-16, 2003.

Las Vegas, NV February 25-28, 2004. I didn't gamble.

Upcoming: Sacramento, CA May 8-15, 2004 to visit family.

Upcoming: Vancouver, BC Canada, September, 2004 to visit family (dates to be determined).

Upcoming (hopefully): WDW in December (8th-15th or 9th-14th) and staying in a moderate.

WOW! Thanks to everyone for your replies. You've all inspired me to plan even more. Thanks again!!

Places I have been to solo:
US East Coast Pro Baseball tour - July 1998
Europe 2002
WDW 2003
New York 2003
WDW June 2004
Europe August 2004
Hawaii June 2005
WDW August 2005

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter