• Controversial Topics on DISboards.com. Several months ago I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in opt-out. Click Here

Where do resort ride-out-crew CMs sleep?

purplegirl1818

Living my Happily Ever After
I apologize if this is the wrong area for this question... but it's technically a resort question (unless of course they have to leave the resort to sleep... which seems counter productive to being a "ride out crew" :rotfl:)!

Before I get into my question - awesome job by all the ride out crew members during Hurricane Irma. I know it must be hard to go through any hurricane, let alone having to work and keep that Disney spirit despite being just a nervous as guests. So from a random internet stranger - thank you for all you do!

So onto my question! :scratchin Where do ride-out-crew cast members who are stationed at a resort sleep? I believe "ride-out-crew" is the term given to CMs that stay on property and work during hurricanes... if not, that's what I'm referring to! Do they get their own rooms that they share with other CMs? Are there a bunch of cots set up back stage? Is the Cave of Wonders located beneath all of property and everyone stays there?

TIA! :thumbsup2

Worked in the hospitality industry for many years. Most hotels keep back a certain amount of rooms for staff during times of need. In the system the rooms are listed as "OOO" which stands for out of order. It's an accounting device that allows the hotel to state they are 100% occupied while still having rooms for staff to sleep in.

Hotel GM here.. We keep a few rooms out of inventory for staff to sleep in shifts. Heck I have used my rollaway cot in my office to ride out some blizzards and stay at work..

Hotel GM here.. We keep a few rooms out of inventory for staff to sleep in shifts. Heck I have used my rollaway cot in my office to ride out some blizzards and stay at work..
E tu, "Brutie"?
The man was a GM at a NYC property until retirement. I paid my debt to society working at the W~A, Hilton Intl, both domestic and overseas, as well as the St Regis. Made my transition to property mgmt that much easier:smooth:.

Our dear adopted daughter was on the GF ride out crew for Irma....

This was a "better" hurricane :). Ride out crew was given regular rooms - but 5 to a room :). STILL far better than couches :).
Our poor daughter worked on the clock, with sleep & food breaks, for 56 hours :(. Three shifts a day in Restaurants. She gave her heart and soul to every guest at the Grand, and did anything that needed to get done....

Everyone on a Ride Out Crew should get a medal, and a night out on WDW. So many of them did this, while their own homes were being devastated :(.

Former resort GM here (not Disney). Most hotels will set aside rooms if there is any inclement weather expected for employees. Up in Cleveland where I worked we would keep enough rooms out of order to ensure we had enough staff to meet fire code in the event of bad snow storm (and to ensure we could feed people). This is pretty much norm across the board.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if Disney would want to give up that many rooms. That would be great if it were so!

Disney isn't really "giving up" rooms; ride out crews are as essential as any other job, if not even more, and by law they can't leave if there's a curfew. It would make less sense for Disney to have a bunch of cots on reserve for the very few times they need to house crews, and it would cost them storage, upkeep, and setup when they needed to use them.

Ride out crew was given regular rooms - but 5 to a room :). STILL far better than couches :).
Our poor daughter worked on the clock, with sleep & food breaks, for 56 hours :(. Three shifts a day in Restaurants. She gave her heart and soul to every guest at the Grand, and did anything that needed to get done....

Thanks to your DD for helping to make magic in the midst of some pretty chaotic times!

Yikes 5 to a room! Did they have different shifts for sleeping rotations?

I was at POFQ during the storm. There were, maybe, 20 rooms for the CM's and they said quite a lot over at Riverside. They were 4 to 6 per room. I spoke to a group of 4 girls all in their mid-20 I guess who were in a room near mine; they seemed to be enjoying themselves under the circumstances. The next day I spoke with a couple of the maintenance guys and they said they spent the night at cast services; said there were about 15-20 over there. To a person they all came across as dedicated and even excited to be part of the ride-out crew. And none were upset about the overtime....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter