When you wish upon a star...a very HAPPENING PTR SEP 13

IOA is Islands of Adventure at Univeral Studios. We want to check out Harry Potter.

POFQ is Port Orlean French Quarter one of the moderate resorts.

Yes we are doing the 3 nights Bahamas Cruise on the Dream. I get seasick in the bathtub but DH wants to try one. Good compromise I think.

Me too. On the P&O cruise to the South Pacific I was so sick for 3 days I was contemplating throwing myself overboard, but on the Wonder I didn't feel queasy once. DH said it has to do with more stable waters in that region, plus the Wonder would have had better stabilisers. Also, it didn't help on the SP cruise we were on the edge of a cyclone :crazy2:

Marlea98 said:
Me too. On the P&O cruise to the South Pacific I was so sick for 3 days I was contemplating throwing myself overboard, but on the Wonder I didn't feel queasy once. DH said it has to do with more stable waters in that region, plus the Wonder would have had better stabilisers. Also, it didn't help on the SP cruise we were on the edge of a cyclone :crazy2:

We are going in hurricane season so fingers crossed

Ok. Things are firming up.

So a quick refresh. There will be DH, myself and our two daughters leaving 13 returning 14 and 11. At the moment they have no idea when we are going. They know that this is the next trip we have planned by DH and I will spring it on them somewhere from a week out. They tell me all the time how cool it would be to just wake up and go so I figured we could give it a try. They are missing nine school days which i have no issues with for our youngest but for our eldest I am hoping assessment block is finished. If it is I could just wake up and end up at the airport, but if she is still in assessment lock we will need to get organised with teachers and getting work done before, or work out a timeline. Don't need to put extra pressure on her. Last years took her out of school in assessment block for a week for my brothers wedding and she worked all week. I don't want her to be like that for this trip so with a heads up we can avoid it and she can just relax.

This is our first East Coast trip and despite the fact that after following along with yourmWDW trip reports I think I know everything :lmao please suggest away. There are also a few other ANZACS at the world when we are there so you never know who you will bump into.

After the magnificent Qantas sale (they keep making me fly them) last weekend i moved our trip from April 2014 to September 2013. We are flying with Qantas and Virgin America to Orlando. I have upgraded DH to exit row seats for the LAX to MCO leg. On arrival at around 4.30pm we shall take the Magical Express to the home of the next castle on our list.

Thanks Ms Shuttergirl, at this point in time I will be chanting B is for Bus. The Magical Express will take us to our riverside room at Port Orleans French Quarter. This evening we will go with the flow, see how we feel, explore our resort and pool before hitting the sack.

We shall spend 10 nights at WDW, we have to visit the water parks, catch the Cirque du Soleil show perhaps, a Halloween Party, explore some resorts. Basically just have some good ol family fun. Have a few dining ideas but I shall get to that later.

The next bit I plan to look into more this week. It involves 2.5 days. It involves leaving Disney, doing some shopping, taking on Harry Potter, visiting Kennedy Space Centre and boarding our Disney cruise. Looking to stay perhaps one night on site at Universal and one night at Cocoa Beach. For now anyway. Will hire a car for this part if we haven't already with DH getting frustrated by buses. Hehehehehe.

The next bit is our Disney Dream 3 night Bahamian cruise. Looking into shore excursions in Nassau. Am thinking we will probably have a look around town and head back to enjoy the boat. Dont see the point of paying to lounge at a resort for the day when we have a great boat to explore. Want to say I have been to the Bahamas though. Not looking to book any special dining as we have three nights and three restaurants to go through. If we like cruising we will be back for longer and we can do that then.

On our disembarkation morning we will head back to MCO. We have mid afternoon flights booked with AA first class using our points to Washington via Miami. Figure we can use the lounge there.

The end part of the trip would ideally be longer, I have picked the duration in these cities knowing full well that I will return. It is about getting a taste.

We get to Washington at 8pm so we will be tucked up in bed and ready for the West Wing Tour of Washington tomorrow or maybe go see they city at night thinking Licoln Memorial. Plenty of time. Still deciding on hotels here.

1 full,day in DC. I am a massive West Wing fan and a lot of the outdoor scenes were actually filmed on location. So much to do, so little time. Wanting to see the big tourist sites. White House, Lincoln Memorial. Check out one of the Smithsonians.

Then next morning we are on an early train to New York arriving at 11am. Again tossing around a couple of hotels. Working out the best base. My heart is pulling me to the Beacon Apartments but wondering if on limited days 3 in total spread over 4 I would be better near Times Square. Of course there is a huge list but again we will be back, we are getting a taste. A Yankees game is on the list. Which section should I get seats in without paying a fortune and who have you bought them through?

Our last day in NY is our eldest daughters birthday. We fly out at 7pm ish on her birthday to come home. Dd2 will not be happy but what can you do. DH has also not worked out we will miss grand final day so another reason for all Collingwood haters to encourage them not to be in the final. I will never hear the end. Actually if St Kilda were to win I would miss it and I would never hear the end of it ROFL.

Still lots of spots to fill but the framework is complete
All flights booked and paid for
Train ticket booked and paid for
Travel Insurance Done
Deposit paid WDW
Deposit paid DCL
Magical Express booked.

Oh I do love me some holiday planning. Enjoy the ride

Sounds wonderful. How exciting for you to bring your trip forward 7 months from originally planned. :thumbsup2

WOW! What a great holiday you have planned. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes during the next 7 months.

Wow! You've been doing some serious trip planning! It's great you're doing a "taster trip" and you've made it clear to DH that you'll be doing more next time. Everyone loves the promise of a next time!

For the past couple of years we've missed the GF. Being North Melbourne (DH and the kids) and Essendon (me) supporters we haven't had to worry about it :(. More than happy to help you out with Collingwood and St Kilda. LOL

nice plans. Will be following intently for our 2014 trip.

I have good news, you wont have to worry about Collingwood for the GF.
It is an odd year, which means the CATS will be back!:banana:

For NY can i suggest the Affinia Dumont, never gets a mention anywhere but is a block or two from times square, in a quiet area, next to subway, good eating nearby and has rooms with two queens and a huge sofa bed, plus a small kitchen. We love it, it can be exxy, but then everything is in NY.

For NY can i suggest the Affinia Dumont, never gets a mention anywhere but is a block or two from times square, in a quiet area, next to subway, good eating nearby and has rooms with two queens and a huge sofa bed, plus a small kitchen. We love it, it can be exxy, but then everything is in NY.

Go CATS!:cool1:

Wow everything's really coming together for you. I love the 'taster' trip too :thumbsup2

I'm sure DD will get over having to have her birthday on plane when she realises that it means she will have just had a wonderful holiday in the US. Are you going to celebrate a day early?

DH won't go anywhere in August or September for fear of missing the year that his beloved Demons actually get into the finals :lmao: It's actually the main reason we didn't end up getting married in August! And I would have absolutely NO hope of getting him to go away GF weekend :headache:

You'll just have to swing by DL and watch Collingwood play in the GF at ESPN Zone with me! Because we will be in it this year, mark my words! :rotfl2:

(we plan to be away at that time of year on purpose, because DH is a Hawks fan and it is our worst nightmare that they will play against the Pies in the GF. If we are overseas, it doesn't seem as bad. Also, from my experience in 2011, if your team loses when you are overseas, it softens the blow a bit because no one is around to tease you! :rotfl: I feel like, I wasn't there to see it, so that loss didn't even happen!!!)

Your trip is really coming together, and sounds amazing! Good idea about taking the train from Washington to NY, I had never thought of doing that. Is it cheaper than flying?

How exciting. The trip has come together so fast-travel planner extraordinare that you are. Your business should be booming and good you have family/friends to help. Love your itinerary-curious to hear how you find the cruise and interested in your thoughts on POFQ as its on my most likely place to stay next visit to WDW. Keep up the good work as we enjoy the planning with you.

I'm also excited to hear how all the planning is coming along, and can't wait to hear how everything turns out.

WanderlustNZ said:
Sounds wonderful. How exciting for you to bring your trip forward 7 months from originally planned. :thumbsup2

I am very excited to bring it forward. I. Fact just happy to have a date. It has been Jan, Apr, Sep 14. Something to look forward to.

PrincessInOz said:
WOW! What a great holiday you have planned. Looking forward to seeing how it all goes during the next 7 months.

Thanks PIO. The places we will be on dates has no flexibility. I was going to start at Universal and then go to WDW. Then I decided, a little break from Disney between WDW and the Cruise will be good. I get a better rate at Universal mid week, they also have more thrill rides so the dare devils in my family can enjoy Disney as they always do and then go thrills eyeing at the end. I won't here that's tame for 10 days of Disney, I will here that's cool. Also I like the idea of Magical Express straight to the resort rather than hire a car when we have just done such a long flight.

Minniemum said:
Wow! You've been doing some serious trip planning! It's great you're doing a "taster trip" and you've made it clear to DH that you'll be doing more next time. Everyone loves the promise of a next time!

For the past couple of years we've missed the GF. Being North Melbourne (DH and the kids) and Essendon (me) supporters we haven't had to worry about it :(. More than happy to help you out with Collingwood and St Kilda. LOL

Minniemum, oh I do like to travel plan. What I love about this trip is that everywhere is new. We haven't done a trip like that for a while. We also combine a go back to where we have tasted for a more in depth look and then go find new places. This is all new which adds to the fun. Although i feel like I have been to WDW, Washington and New York through the great trip reports here,

Minniemum said:

Oh and we are Collingwood and Saints supporters. Two grand finals two weeks in a row is not good. Not good at all. Going to weep quietly in corner now.

marvel said:

Thanks for the good news Marvel. We are Collingwood, two Saints and a Hawk in our house.

Will be looking at the Affina in New York. Thanks for the tip.

zanzibar138 said:
Wow everything's really coming together for you. I love the 'taster' trip too :thumbsup2

I'm sure DD will get over having to have her birthday on plane when she realises that it means she will have just had a wonderful holiday in the US. Are you going to celebrate a day early?

DH won't go anywhere in August or September for fear of missing the year that his beloved Demons actually get into the finals :lmao: It's actually the main reason we didn't end up getting married in August! And I would have absolutely NO hope of getting him to go away GF weekend :headache:

Haven't worked out the celebration yet. We will have until we have to go the airport. Thinking maybe a morning tea at the Plaza a Sephora make session,or just a day of shopping. She is a teenage girl after all. Ideas and suggestions please. I am sure she will be good with it. As a Saints supporter I understand your husbands pain. If the Saints were to win this year my DH will. Ever let me hear the end of it. great supporter you are. As I said. He hasn't figured that out yet, or he hasn't mentioned it. He is a smart boy. The penny will drop soon and I am not helping.

Kristin5 said:
You'll just have to swing by DL and watch Collingwood play in the GF at ESPN Zone with me! Because we will be in it this year, mark my words! :rotfl2:

(we plan to be away at that time of year on purpose, because DH is a Hawks fan and it is our worst nightmare that they will play against the Pies in the GF. If we are overseas, it doesn't seem as bad. Also, from my experience in 2011, if your team loses when you are overseas, it softens the blow a bit because no one is around to tease you! :rotfl: I feel like, I wasn't there to see it, so that loss didn't even happen!!!)

Your trip is really coming together, and sounds amazing! Good idea about taking the train from Washington to NY, I had never thought of doing that. Is it cheaper than flying?

Thanks for the invite. Sadly no DL this trip. It would take away from my time in NY and we really have to be home that Sunday. Or I would. Cant wait to see Carsland. Our daughter is a Hawks fan. Playing your spouses team in a Grand Final is the worst. Don't ever think it will be good. There is no winner and no loser. We had to do it two weekends in a row when the Pies and Saints drew. Friends stole our children to keep them in a safe environment. ROFL

Have always wanted to do the train. Was going to fly as we have frequent flyer points and so therefore free. Some kind person who's name I will acknowledge properly in an edit later suggested I go by train. Immediately I changed my mind back to paying for the train. It goes from the middle,of Wahington to the middle of New York and after Watching movies that is how I have always imagined arriving into New York. First class seats have cost $450 foes the four of us for the three hour trip. No airport transfers. Sweet. Booked and done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter