When will the contract extension expire for Disney Employees?

"Deserve" has nothing to do with it. You might think they deserve $18/hr. I might think they deserve $30. The market determines what the wage should be based on the service being offered. Disney has been raising prices for the same reasons all of us have experienced over the past year. Food costs have gone up, the electric bill has gone up, fuel has gone up, ,etc. etc. Now we need to compound it by raising wage costs to some number that random internet pundits think is fair vs. the people who actually run the business, know the short and long-term plans and understand the market they operate in? Many in this discussion act like CM's are slaves who have no choice but to work for Disney and take whatever they are given. They are free to go work at Universal, Walmart or anywhere else. If enough workers find a better deal elsewhere, then maybe Disney adjusts to offer better compensation or benefits. Apparently, they feel there are enough people willing to accept what they are offering that they don't have to offer more than they have. They may be wrong but so far, more and more attractions and services are reopening so they must be getting those employees from somewhere.

Disney has been raising prices to increase their profits. I know this because when all those costs in the real world start to go down (and they have) Disney doesn't then reduce their prices.

It's pretty simple.

Disney considers themselves a premium brand. They claim to offer a premium experience at their parks and resorts. They CHARGE A PREMIUM over their competitors. If they truly believe this, they SHOULD PAY THEIR WORKERS A PREMIUM as well.

This here is exactly why the resorts like Polynesian and Grand Floridan are not top not resorts in the Disney portfolio anymore....they refuse to pay their staff for the higher level of service they want at ANY of the front line areas.

As much as they need to attract the type of talent they think they deserve.

It's interesting to me that the same people who advocate for more and more wages for CMs will then turn around and piss and moan about how they have to pay for Genie+ or for their own transport from the airport or magic bands or higher resort/food/merchandise costs, as if one has no effect on the other. (also I'm using the "people" here in the general sense, not trying to pick on you particularly :) )

It's interesting to me that the same people who advocate for more and more wages for CMs will then turn around and piss and moan about how they have to pay for Genie+ or for their own transport from the airport or magic bands or higher resort/food/merchandise costs, as if one has no effect on the other. (also I'm using the "people" here in the general sense, not trying to pick on you particularly :) )

I think the people complaining about this are also annoyed at the fact that they are paying more and getting less, with worse customer service, making the experience in the parks and resorts a poor value all around.

When a place is being run well, with enough staff and staff that are content with their jobs, the whole experience is elevated to the point that people don't mind paying more. The complaints are precisely because there is a diminishing sense of VALUE and when you hear about these wage battles, it is even more glaring of an offense.

I think the people complaining about this are also annoyed at the fact that they are paying more and getting less, with worse customer service, making the experience in the parks and resorts a poor value all around.

When a place is being run well, with enough staff and staff that are content with their jobs, the whole experience is elevated to the point that people don't mind paying more. The complaints are precisely because there is a diminishing sense of VALUE and when you hear about these wage battles, it is even more glaring of an offense.

So paying the same people there now more to do the same thing they do now will fix that?

That makes no sense. Paying the same people that work there now more will likely diminish the experience even more. In order to absorb a big increase in labor costs, they will more than like decrease staff, decrease services, find new ways to automate and raise prices.

Zero benefit to the consumer. In fact, less value than now.

Disney has been raising prices to increase their profits. I know this because when all those costs in the real world start to go down (and they have) Disney doesn't then reduce their prices.

They have also already been giving raises every year since 2018 and they also have been paying more for good.

And count on more price increases, even with the current offer that was rejected. It will be worse if they have to concede even more.

Pay people more, but don't raise prices or cut services. But make lots of money so my retirement looks good too. People don't just want it both ways. They want it every way.

They have also already been giving raises every year since 2018 and they also have been paying more for good.

And count on more price increases, even with the current offer that was rejected. It will be worse if they have to concede even more.

Pay people more, but don't raise prices or cut services. But make lots of money so my retirement looks good too. People don't just want it both ways. They want it every way.

I think Disney can stand to have a little less profit in the name of treating their employees right.

There are overpaid people at Disney, but it's not the front line CMs.

So paying the same people there now more to do the same thing they do now will fix that?

That makes no sense. Paying the same people that work there now more will likely diminish the experience even more. In order to absorb a big increase in labor costs, they will more than like decrease staff, decrease services, find new ways to automate and raise prices.

Zero benefit to the consumer. In fact, less value than now.
This is so true. But let's piggyback on this. So Disney caves and gives $18hr, how long will the employees be happy? My experience (over 50 years in the work place) is approx 6 months before the rank and file start to complain how they are still underpaid and think they signed a bad deal. The truth is employees are NEVER satisfied. You could pay a min of $25 hour and as sure as I am typing this within a year there would be complaints about low wages. So once again, this is a labor negotiation. Disney is just trying to get the best deal for Disney while the union is trying to get the best deal for their employees.

Here we go round and round again. I have made my feelings known in another post that was locked and I am not going to rehash them out again.

The union wants more money and the company wants to pay less than what the union wants.
This was the same argument under the last contract and in that case the union wanted $15.00 dollars an hour to start and Disney agreed but with the union giving in on other things.

Disney was offering increases where I think it was over 40% of the cast covered by the union contract would be making $20.00 dollars an hour or more right away. This also included back pay I think.

Most jobs may be covered by the union however a large number of cast members are not in the union. If certain jobs are covered by a union contract there is no requirement to join the union to have that job.

With that all said, if the union does not get what it wants then they should authorize a strike. Cast members should walk off the job.

My guess is the union won't get many cast members to walk.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter