When do you realistically think ABD will start operating again?

Yesterday we booked Japan for July 2022 and New Zealand for December 2022... half-way expecting one or both of these may not go, so we are mentally prepared to have back up plans.

We asked our vactionista how the "group bonding" that we have become accustomed to with ABD is able to happen with social distancing. FWIW she said so far the Costa Rica trip in progress has gotten good feedback for balancing the two. She also mentioned that if 2 bookings want to travel together as a pod they are making note of that. I'll be curious to hear how this plays out in other countries/urban destinations.

Also - New Zealand would be our family's first time trying an Adventure over the holidays... my oldest will be in high school by then and I was curious how others with teenagers have found traveling internationally over the holidays? Stress around final exams nowadays seems much more intense than when I grew up.

Hi! We are hoping to get the New Zealand December 2022 trip. Put in our request last night. Our son will be 14 by then. We have to do late December because of school and exams. It's just too hard to take the kids out of school and try to catch up on school work; but that might just be our kids. This will be our first ABD. Really hoping Covid-19 is under control and doesn't mess up this amazing sounding trip (if we got registered in time).

Hi! We are hoping to get the New Zealand December 2022 trip. Put in our request last night. Our son will be 14 by then. We have to do late December because of school and exams. It's just too hard to take the kids out of school and try to catch up on school work; but that might just be our kids. This will be our first ABD. Really hoping Covid-19 is under control and doesn't mess up this amazing sounding trip (if we got registered in time).
Do you mean that you put in a request with your Travel Agent? Or are you on a waiting list?

Sayhello

Your son (and you) will love NZ! We spent a couple weeks there (on our own, not on a tour) and it's amazing.

Also - New Zealand would be our family's first time trying an Adventure over the holidays... my oldest will be in high school by then and I was curious how others with teenagers have found traveling internationally over the holidays? Stress around final exams nowadays seems much more intense than when I grew up.

Congrats! We flew back from NZ in March 2020...so I've been relatively recently lol and enjoyed it. The ABD sounds like a great trip!

We took DD on one ABD over Christmas holidays when she was a junior-she worked during the entire trip. Disclaimer-she was in IB and the junior year is the most challenging, time management and workload wise so it was an odd situation. I was so happy we had strong internet connections for her to knock out her research/assignments. Because of that, I decided we wouldn't do an ABD her senior year Christmas and of course her workload wasn't as intense so live and learn. I'd say ask parents of students older than yours to try to gauge how many (if any) assignments are over the holidays and when semester exams are scheduled. Of course, the flights to and from NZ are nice and long and provide good study opportunities.

It sounds like a memorable trip and definitely something fun to anticipate!

Congrats! We flew back from NZ in March 2020...so I've been relatively recently lol and enjoyed it. The ABD sounds like a great trip!

We took DD on one ABD over Christmas holidays when she was a junior-she worked during the entire trip. Disclaimer-she was in IB and the junior year is the most challenging, time management and workload wise so it was an odd situation. I was so happy we had strong internet connections for her to knock out her research/assignments. Because of that, I decided we wouldn't do an ABD her senior year Christmas and of course her workload wasn't as intense so live and learn. I'd say ask parents of students older than yours to try to gauge how many (if any) assignments are over the holidays and when semester exams are scheduled. Of course, the flights to and from NZ are nice and long and provide good study opportunities.

It sounds like a memorable trip and definitely something fun to anticipate!
Do you have any suggestions for pre-ABD day trips in Auckland and post-ABD in Queenstown? We will have 2 days without ABD in each city. I definitely want to visit Hoboton, which I believe is a full day trip, which will leave us the first day of the ABD to have an adventure in Auckland! One of the post-days I want to go on a day trip to Milford Sound (also a full day trip). Looking for things to do on the remaining days! I am partial to active outings (zip lining, rock climbing, hiking, biking, etc.).

I have already booked almost all of our flights (waiting to book first class tickets home on Etihad). We fly from London to Mebourne on British Air (first class) and Cathay Pacific (business class -- we will spend a week in London before the trip), Melbourne to Auckland, Queenstown to Brisbane and Brisbane to Sydney (all Virgin Air business class) before returning home! Quite an adventure and we are super excited for this trip! All flights were / are booked on points!

Did any ABD trips happen outside the US in July? We are supposed to do Japan in July 2022 but who knows if that will happen

Did any ABD trips happen outside the US in July? We are supposed to do Japan in July 2022 but who knows if that will happen
I believe at least one Iceland trip went. But that's the only one I'm aware of.

ETA: Oh, I forgot! There's a Rhine River cruise going on right now, also!

Sayhello

Last edited:
I believe at least one Iceland trip went. But that's the only one I'm aware of.

ETA: Oh, I forgot! There's a Rhine River cruise going on right now, also!

Sayhello

you're kidding
so do the americans returning from europe have to quarantine?

Americans are travelling all over Europe right now and they do not have to quarantine on return to USA. Its one of the things Ursula von der Leyen President of the European Commission is not happy about, that Americans can come to Europe but Europeans are still banned from USA.

Americans are travelling all over Europe right now and they do not have to quarantine on return to USA. Its one of the things Ursula von der Leyen President of the European Commission is not happy about, that Americans can come to Europe but Europeans are still banned from USA.

the inconsistency is so frustrating!!

you're kidding
They don't have to quarantine, but they *do* need to produce a negative COVID-19 test within the prior 72 hours to be able to get on the plane to return to the US.

From the CDC site (bolding theirs):

If you plan to travel internationally, you will need to get tested no more than 3 days before you travel by air into the United States (US) and show your negative result to the airline before you board your flight, or be prepared to show documentation of recovery (proof of a recent positive viral test and a letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official stating that you were cleared to travel).

ABD helps facilitate this, but the cost is on the travelers.

Sayhello

They don't have to quarantine, but they *do* need to produce a negative COVID-19 test within the prior 72 hours to be able to get on the plane to return to the US.

From the CDC site (bolding theirs):

ABD helps facilitate this, but the cost is on the travelers.

Sayhello

Does anyone know what ABD's current policy is for what happens if someone tests positive on the trip before their return flight and cannot fly back to the US? Do they just leave you there to do your quarantine + you're on your own to rebook flights home? I should call and ask when I get time...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter