when do the CA kids head back to school?

babyatlas

Mouseketeer
my plan for a September trip might not work out so was thinking mid/late August. is there a time when maybe it quiets down.....just a little. I understand that it is never really quiet any more but wondering when CA schools start up and if that would help a bit. thanks for your knowledge!

We usually go in Oct for what used to be lower crowds, no longer the case. So from all my research we planned this year's trip from 8/22-8/28. My understanding is that for the most part CA is back in session the week before. AP blackout dates are lifted but I think during the week should be pretty manageable. We also chose that week to avoid the marathon events and Labor Day weekend.

Last edited:
It depends on the districts. My daughter's school starts August 11, but they also get out at the end of May. Keep in mind that AP block outs are also lifted at the end of August. So locals will finally be let back into the parks after being blocked all summer.

As agamble mentioned, the SoCal and SoCal Select AP Blockout ends on Monday, August 17 (the first day they can get back into the parks). LAUSD, the largest school district in CA, resumes classes on Tuesday (August 18). Other CA school districts go back anywhere from early-August through early-September. I would expect an increase in crowds for those first few weekends when the APs are unblocked as guests return to the parks to see the new 60th stuff for the first time since June and to see anything that debuted after the blockout began.

thank you very much! I always try to be so strategic with my planning but it seems like there is always something going on or some reason for it to be crowded so, my new strategy will be to embrace the crowds!
:love::grouphug::crowded::grouphug::love:

I've been the week before Labor Day 2 years in a row now, which was the last week in August. Both years, the crowd level was decent, very manageable. In fact, it may be the lowest crowds I've seen in these 2 years as an AP holder. I have not gone in Nov, Jan, Feb or May, most of which tend to be lower. So, I'll always pick that week, if I can!

My district goes back mid-August, which means weekdays won't be too bad. However, if you're at all concerned about heat and/or crowds, I highly recommend late September/early October. It's usually a little cooler and crowds are manageable.

depends on where, no set time...I work in Folsom (outside of Sacramento) & student there go back Aug 11. My kids go to school in Granite Bay, literally the next town over. They go back Aug 19.

Los Angeles County goes back around the 19th of August. Orange County goes back the 24th. Most go back prior to Sept 1.

Sacramento Unified School District goes back 9/3, which surprised me since 1) its usually the first day after labor day, and 2) its usually on a tuesday and not a thursday. its odd they decided to have the kids go back for 2 days right before a 3 day weekend.

Our district (in LA County but not part of LA Unified) doesn't go back until September 10th this year. But we are no where near as big as LA Unified.

I work for CVUSD and we start August 26th. Always the last week of August. Your best bet is to go the week before Labor Day weekend IMO. Almost 100% of CA public schools will be in session at that point.

I work for CVUSD and we start August 26th. Always the last week of August. Your best bet is to go the week before Labor Day weekend IMO. Almost 100% of CA public schools will be in session at that point.

I used to teach in Las Vegas and they also always start that week. It's worth noting as it's only 4 hours away and I know a ton of people who visit Disneyland regularly from there.

EDIT: I should add that in Las Vegas (currently) it is the entire county as one school district. So this means the majority of Nevada's population starts the last week of August.

Last edited:
Mid two weeks of September are one of the ONLY off seasons at DL anymore. School has just begun and summer vacations are winding down...and towards the end of September, Halloween starts going up and the crowds start building again.

All of October gets stupid again with the build up of Halloween.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter