When do Christmas Decorations come down on DCL?

Ol Goof

Mouseketeer
What is the last cruise that you can book to see the beautiful Christmas decorations on the ships?

Usually about New Year’s Eve, however, it can be at the end of the last designated Merrytime cruise, depending on the timing. This can vary from ship to ship.

We boarded the Wonder last December on the 28th which sailed over New Year's and they took all the decorations down. If your cruise is not billed as a "merrytime" (and ours was not) then the decorations will not be up.

We did a B2B on the Fantasy 2 years ago Christmas/New Year. We sat and watched them disassemble the atrium tree between cruises. It was very sad. Be sure to check if the New Year cruise says Merry Time. If not, expect all the decorations to be down.

We took wonder cruise tow years ago that departed Dec 26 and decorations were down. We spoke to the crew and they were blown away. Like literally nothing Dec 26

Thank you all for the information. I’m so glad I asked. I was hoping to book a 3 night on the Wish as I haven’t seen her decorations yet. I’m guessing the 29th is too late ! bummer

They used to only take them down after the New Year's cruise ended. I sailed post-Christmas cruises over New Year's in 2015/16 and 2019/20 and had that experience both times, as well as having sailed once between Christmas and New Year's and also had the decorations still up. I'm chagrined to hear that this practice might be changing to them taking decorations down immediately after the Christmas cruise. That is awful, considering that it's still the Christmas season, and also considering how extremely expensive it is to cruise the week after Christmas/over New Year's. If you pay those kinds of prices, you should get to enjoy the decorations.

I was booked for a New Year's cruise for next year, and learning about this change in DCL's procedure helped me to decide to change to a different cruise.

Last edited:
Disgraceful! Perhaps someone should write a strongly worded letter and remind Disney that there are 12 days of Christmas!
I gotta admit it was kind of sad as we were waiting in the terminal at San Diego to board and the beautiful tree came walking past the window 🤨😭

I gotta admit it was kind of sad as we were waiting in the terminal at San Diego to board and the beautiful tree came walking past the window 🤨😭
I think that is part of the equation as to when decorations come down. From what I understood they all come from the DIS holiday warehouses, so depending on when they are scheduled to get delivered to or picked up from the port makes the determination.

Sadly, it's our retail mindset. Christmas starts either in August (or early November, if you are observing Halloween) and ends either Dec. 24 or 25.

We board the Wish on the 26th and I was sad to see it was not a very merrytime cruise. I am going in with the expectation that they take everything down after midnight on Christmas, seems like a terrible way for the crew to spend boxing day. I will report back if I am pleasantly surprised to find decorations onboard. Maybe at least discount Merrytime merch, lol.

Following up on my earlier post, I’m currently on the Wish and they have the giant atrium tree and a giant gingerbread tower in the main atrium. I have seen some other decor here and there and there is still a lot of Christmas merchandise, some of which is being sold as buy one get one free.

Following up on my earlier post, I’m currently on the Wish and they have the giant atrium tree and a giant gingerbread tower in the main atrium. I have seen some other decor here and there and there is still a lot of Christmas merchandise, some of which is being sold as buy one get one free.
Generally speaking, (and in my experience) Christmas decorations come down following the cruise that sails over New Year's Eve.

We were on the Magic, December 31, 2019, and there were still holiday decorations up during the cruise.

1703773938937.jpeg

That would significantly reduce the number of Christmas cruises. Since they typically start those at the end of November.
Disney starts Merrytime cruises in early November. I don't think anybody is suggesting that Disney eliminate early-season Christmas cruises if they are popular; I think they are saying that the "Merrytime" cruises should run into mid-January. Basically, anything before the "12 Days of Christmas" are complete.

And while I know some retailers and a handful of churches have redefined it to be Dec. 13-25, it traditionally runs Dec. 25 through Jan. 5, or about when Epiphany occurs. (Epiphany usually is observed on a Sunday, so some years, it's more than 12 days...but I digress.)

https://www.vox.com/21796404/12-days-of-christmas-explained

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter