When are your kids back in school????

My youngest will be starting her junior/senior year (she’s graduating early) August 28th. It’s hard to believe I’ll (ha) be done with school after raising kids for 35 years.

More districts start after Labor Day than I thought
I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tells ya, when I found out that some schools start BEFORE Labor Day.

The year was 1977. I was 16. Elvis Presley died. The news reported that Memphis schools were considering closing or did close for a day.

It blew my mind. Not that schools would close for him, but that they were in session so early.

I guess that was my first experience with “It must be regional.” ;) Northeast US public schools don’t start before Labor Day.

I was shocked, SHOCKED, I tells ya, when I found out that some schools start BEFORE Labor Day.

The year was 1977. I was 16. Elvis Presley died. The news reported that Memphis schools were considering closing or did close for a day.

It blew my mind. Not that schools would close for him, but that they were in session so early.

I guess that was my first experience with “It must be regional.” ;) Northeast US public schools don’t start before Labor Day.
It makes sense.

Summer weather does not start in the Northeast or Midwest at the same time that summer weather starts in the Southeast or Southwest.

The different starts are like time zones for weather.

Inadvertently the school systems follow a form of the USDA Plant Hardiness zone map.

I'm retired, but DH went back last week and students started yesterday. DH is retiring at the end of this year so I made him stand in front of the tree with a sign that said, "Last First day of school."

Do the teachers get any time before that to get organized, or are they expected to come in on their own time? We get four full paid days of prep time before the kids come.
When I started teaching in 1989, we were given days to prepare our classrooms. Over the years it began to gradually shift - 3 days in the classroom, 1 day in PD. Then 2/2. About 10 years ago it shifted to a half day to get our rooms ready and lesson plan and 3.5 days in meetings and PD. Almost all of us had to go in before our report day to set up our rooms.

We did not get paid for the extra time in our rooms. In fact, those teachers who worked a summer job lost time and money as they couldn't work their summer jobs because they had to set up their classrooms.

Here the shift to starting in August started 20 years ago. The reason, first semester final exams will now be before Christmas break, not after. The first part of January was a waste of time since it was used to get the kids back up to speed after a two week vacation, then finals would be the third week of January.

Here the shift to starting in August started 20 years ago. The reason, first semester final exams will now be before Christmas break, not after. The first part of January was a waste of time since it was used to get the kids back up to speed after a two week vacation, then finals would be the third week of January.
Yep, When I first moved to California, LA schools started right after Labor Day. Then a year or two later it was the week before. A year or two after that it changed to TWO weeks before LD.

Hmmm, local schools when I attended and even now don’t seem to have a problem with the semester ending in mid January. It took a day or two at most to bring the kids back to speed.

My DD19 left yesterday and classes officially start the 21st.

I hope everyone’s kids have a great year

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter