What's your breaking point?

Im pretty much at my breaking point. I booked a placeholder on a my DCL cruise last month and am pretty much expecting to cancel it down the road. The the cruises that fit our vacation schedule I am finding much better value on other lines or for different things.

Well, good luck on the other cruise line. Hopefully they have a forum like this so you can share tips and tricks. Odd that so many people want to post in a DCL forum about how much they prefer the other cruise lines. Threads like this seem to pop up at least once a week. If I was in a RCCL forum I wouldn't care about what they have on Disney.

Well, good luck on the other cruise line. Hopefully they have a forum like this so you can share tips and tricks. Odd that so many people want to post in a DCL forum about how much they prefer the other cruise lines. Threads like this seem to pop up at least once a week. If I was in a RCCL forum I wouldn't care about what they have on Disney.

Comparison threads are useful because some people base their cruising experience on their DCL cruises and they want to make sure they know what to expect if they try something else. Some people are looking for something somewhat similar to what they enjoyed on DCL but cheaper because they want to save money or are simply priced out. Some people enjoyed other cruise lines and are insecure about the idea of paying the premium.

I believe those threads are very useful.

Lol

I am trying to decide whether to go with RCCL or DCL for our October 2018 anniversary trip, and I was able to book 7 nt Oasis of the Seas with a Boardwalk Verandah (and soda package) for $1750 total. We have never done the Fantasy, and I am dying to try it, but the same cruise in an 07A at rack is about $3692. Now I could probably get that down to about $2900 after OBB discounts, OBC, and gift card deals, which means Fantasy will cost me about $1150 more for a week and no St Maarten/Maho Beach. I could also move the cruise to another week to save a little bit more money, just won't be during our first wedding anniversary.

I am nervous we won't enjoy the Oasis as much as we are huge Disney fans. (we've only sailed Disney up until this point) At this point I'm thinking I should just apply my placeholder to the Fantasy and hold both cruises until we can decide.

Curious to hear other cruisers thoughts!!

If you are huge Disney fans, then you have to honestly ask yourselves if you are okay with this being a non-Disney vacation. If you are, then sail on RCL. If the thought of ditching Disney depresses you, then sail on DCL. We're a Disney-loving family & DCL is the only cruise line for us right now. But everyone has different priorities. You just have to decide what your true priorities are right now. Have a happy cruise, on either ship!

Last edited:
Does the price you have from them include all taxes and fees? (They don't quote this up front like Disney does, you actually have to go all the way through the checkout process to get this number)

I went to RCCL and DCL.

On royal I clicked on "any date any ship any destination" to just get a list. I chose a November 30th 3 night Bahamas.

It showed me, immediately,
From $229 USD*Valid for Nov 30, 2018 Departure
Book Now
Learn More
+ Taxes, fees and port expenses $81.53 USD*

I can do math. :)

I went to DCL, I went to November, Bahamas, and of course it wanted to know how many people up front, so I decided I was looking at 2 people (royal doesn't need that up front...you can see how that would be a reason why they don't give you a total immediately, yes?). Clicked.

Alas, they don't have a 11/30 cruise to the Bahamas. Had to go with the 3 night on 11/24 instead.

And right there, yep, it showed me

Inside
$2,113

But do you know something wild? The moment I put in 2 people on the Royal site, it shows me:

From $621 USD Includes Taxes and Fees

Why "from"? Because I haven't yet chosen a room.

It's all just different presentation. With one you tell "how many" first, then it plops down the staterooms in one view. On Royal it wants to know the other details first, then you give it the people, then you choose what sort of stateroom (and deal). They aren't hiding anything, they are just presenting the info differently.

So let's go for an interior room on Royal.

I click into Interior, I click to Select. I'll go for a Forward room b/c that's "included".

Oh wait, when I clicked into DCL's I found out that Forward isn't available, so I'll go midship with that and I'll back up and pay a little more for midship on RCCL.

Drat. Deck 6 on royal, Deck 9 on Disney. Would have preferred to get closer to the same, but we're already further towards xmas on Royal so maybe it'll even out the prices?

Once I've chosen both rooms, Disney takes me to a page that shows the cost (no gratuities yet) ($2125) and what to pay today and what to pay and when to pay the rest, then I have to sign in. On Royal I am shown the cost ($640.06), what I'm saving (I didn't choose a sale, but they just plunk the sale down for you), what I pay today, and then specific cancellation policies and dates based on my cruise. I give royal my info...I can choose my dining info then.

Gratuities are 40.50 per person for Royal.

Huh, back to DCL. I've signed in, now I choose who I'm going with, and I'm at the checkout page, I can choose insurance, but I'm not seeing a thing about gratuities.

Back to Royal...I can click to pay those gratuities today, and it instantly adds it to my total, which is now 721.06.

But there's literally nothing on my checkout page on Disney. Is it any wonder there are some people who have been surprised by gratuities???? (looking at you, youtube couple...). Nothing in terms and conditions, either. Click to Hold the stateroom. Did so. Still nothing about gratuities. I've now gone to the search bar..."gratuities"... One page shown is https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/ . OK, we've already established I can do math. 2 people, 3 nights, $12+9+3+12 = $36 x 2people x 3nights...$216? Sound right?

There's nothing in my email confirmation, either. If I'm a total newbie at cruising and don't research or look through the site, I have zero indication that more money will be expected. Dang.

Anyway...I did all that just to show the hows and whys of the info they present. You call it hidden, I call it in plain sight, and all you have to do is get to the point where the info you've given each site is the same, and you get the same info.

Except for gratuities.

How much are the gratuities on RCCL compared to Disney?

Well, in my case, 40.50 per person on Royal and 108 on Disney. Not that a newbie will KNOW what to expect on DCL based on that booking experience I just had. :)

How much will the Beverage package cost you on RCCL (Assuming you want anything besides water, iced tea or lemonade, and brewed coffee, along with various juices from concentrate)

Fixed that for you there.

Since you pay for espresso on both lines and you pay for booze on both lines, and normal coffee is included on both lines, you're talking about soda?

So the soda package is discussed here. Let's hope it's up to date. They seem to use the same IT company as Disney, so... :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custo...y_asked_questions&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336

$8/day/person plus I believe 15% gratuity charged up front with that amount.

Water package on Royal is 1 liter bottles of Evian.
Water package on Royal seems to have been changed from the old half-liter bottles of Evian to I don't know the size of Dasani (ptooie).

Everything else has a charge on both lines. :)

Will you order room service? If so, how many times? Unless you are in a Grand Suite or above, there is a $7.95 fee per order.

That fee does indeed suck. No one is a fan of it.

Though the only thing I've ever ordered from room service on either line is continental breakfast, and there's no service charge for that still.

Look at the dinner menus, are there going to be items that you want to order with an upcharge? There are items on every night's menu that have upcharges on RCCL and if so, how much will this cost?

Yes, if you want fancy schmancy stuff and lobster of some sort on any given night, you will pay extra. It's obvious. Price is right there. The menu has it all boxed off and differentiated. And you won't be getting those items on any night you want on your Disney cruise. :)

Ice Cream - Soft Serve is available for free on all Disney Ships, if you are going to want it on RCCL it is going to cost you

Again, totally untrue.

And now at least Dream has Vanellope's for the fancy ice cream eaters, to match Royal's Ben and Jerry kiosks.

Oh and both serve cheaptastic, make my son and husband insane, junk ice cream at dinner.

Alcohol - If you drink, Disney's prices are lower than RCCL, compare price lists. (We don't drink, so this doesn't affect us, but the same applies to specialty non-alcoholic drinks)

Espresso drinks are about the same on each line. I've paid out of pocket for them on both. Non-booze pina coladas are super-cheap IMO on Royal. Haven't had 'em on Disney because I don't know what they are using, so we don't know if DH can have them. On Royal it's a brand we can look up online and check ingredients.

At least Royal has a package for non-alcoholic drinks (including 500ml bottles of spring water (not treated municipal water like Dasani)) so you can get those things to your heart's content, including FRESH squeezed OJ. I haven't seen fresh squeezed (as in they have a machine and they put oranges into it and juice comes out of the spout, right there in front of everyone) on Disney. Then again I haven't looked. :)

Paid Classes - Pretty much all of the classes (except some tasting ones for Alcohol) are free on Disney, but you pay for some of them on RCCL, are you going to be spending money here?

Only fees I've noticed are for scrapbooking on Royal. Does Disney have such a class? Not sure. Anyway, nothing is hidden. :)

What other fees might you incur with RCCL that you wouldn't with Disney?

What fees do you worry about? Bet we could help you with that.

Are you going to want to have breakfast with the Dreamworks characters? That is another $10 per person.

Ugh, don't do it. Chocolate breakfast can be had in windjammer for free! :) It's still awful, though. We had that character meal when it was free and it was gross. Though the interaction with Po was pretty sweet. I dislike characters in general, Po pulled me in for a hug (ugh), but he was so sweet about it I actually ended up with a giant smile on my face. Fave moment right there. But breakfast, YUCK.

How much value is there in having Disney Characters onboard and roaming around the ship vs. none on RCCL as far as I can see the only way you get Dreamworks is either the kids clubs or at breakfast and only on certain ships.

Yes certain ships. No to only clubs (never saw them at kid clubs) and at breakfast. They have set meet and greet times often with photographers. It's pretty awesome. For me it's awesome to avoid them. :)

They were also usually at very awkward times like when there were shows or dinner.

Yep, when people were out and about. :)

Only characters I've noticed on DCL take up all the pretty photo-worthy spaces at about the same sorts of times (dinner, when people are out and about) and they block staircases and paths. Sigh.

Hopefully they have a forum like this so you can share tips and tricks.

They do. Here. :) Once Dreams Unlimited started selling Royal cruises they created a forum RIGHT HERE on the Dis. If you want any answers about Royal head there if you're intrigued, though we might have covered many questions. :)

ETA...there is nowhere I can find to cancel that Hold on the DCL cruise. UGH. They are going to make me call, aren't they?

"Why are you cancelling?"
"I was researching the functionality differences between you and Royal, based on a Disboards post, and I was super-curious...by the way, gratuities???"

That'll be fun.

And hey, the DCL thing actually sounds like fun. But 2100 vs 621 plus grats? During a time the kid has dance? And I booked it for just me and DH for expediency of the research? Yeah, not gonna happen on either line. :)

Though if we took it we would then be on the second level of "club" for each line. :)

Last edited:
Odd that so many people want to post in a DCL forum about how much they prefer the other cruise lines. Threads like this seem to pop up at least once a week. If I was in a RCCL forum I wouldn't care about what they have on Disney.
Did you ever read that fable by Aesop about the wolf who couldn't reach the grapes?

I went to RCCL and DCL.

On royal I clicked on "any date any ship any destination" to just get a list. I chose a November 30th 3 night Bahamas.

It showed me, immediately,

I can do math. :)

I went to DCL, I went to November, Bahamas, and of course it wanted to know how many people up front, so I decided I was looking at 2 people (royal doesn't need that up front...you can see how that would be a reason why they don't give you a total immediately, yes?). Clicked.

Alas, they don't have a 11/30 cruise to the Bahamas. Had to go with the 3 night on 11/24 instead.

And right there, yep, it showed me

But do you know something wild? The moment I put in 2 people on the Royal site, it shows me:

Why "from"? Because I haven't yet chosen a room.

It's all just different presentation. With one you tell "how many" first, then it plops down the staterooms in one view. On Royal it wants to know the other details first, then you give it the people, then you choose what sort of stateroom (and deal). They aren't hiding anything, they are just presenting the info differently.

So let's go for an interior room on Royal.

I click into Interior, I click to Select. I'll go for a Forward room b/c that's "included".

Oh wait, when I clicked into DCL's I found out that Forward isn't available, so I'll go midship with that and I'll back up and pay a little more for midship on RCCL.

Drat. Deck 6 on royal, Deck 9 on Disney. Would have preferred to get closer to the same, but we're already further towards xmas on Royal so maybe it'll even out the prices?

Once I've chosen both rooms, Disney takes me to a page that shows the cost (no gratuities yet) ($2125) and what to pay today and what to pay and when to pay the rest, then I have to sign in. On Royal I am shown the cost ($640.06), what I'm saving (I didn't choose a sale, but they just plunk the sale down for you), what I pay today, and then specific cancellation policies and dates based on my cruise. I give royal my info...I can choose my dining info then.

Gratuities are 40.50 per person for Royal.

Huh, back to DCL. I've signed in, now I choose who I'm going with, and I'm at the checkout page, I can choose insurance, but I'm not seeing a thing about gratuities.

Back to Royal...I can click to pay those gratuities today, and it instantly adds it to my total, which is now 721.06.

But there's literally nothing on my checkout page on Disney. Is it any wonder there are some people who have been surprised by gratuities???? (looking at you, youtube couple...). Nothing in terms and conditions, either. Click to Hold the stateroom. Did so. Still nothing about gratuities. I've now gone to the search bar..."gratuities"... One page shown is https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/onboard-services/gratuities/ . OK, we've already established I can do math. 2 people, 3 nights, $12+9+3+12 = $36 x 2people x 3nights...$216? Sound right?

There's nothing in my email confirmation, either. If I'm a total newbie at cruising and don't research or look through the site, I have zero indication that more money will be expected. Dang.

Anyway...I did all that just to show the hows and whys of the info they present. You call it hidden, I call it in plain sight, and all you have to do is get to the point where the info you've given each site is the same, and you get the same info.

Except for gratuities.

Well, in my case, 40.50 per person on Royal and 108 on Disney. Not that a newbie will KNOW what to expect on DCL based on that booking experience I just had. :)

Fixed that for you there.

Since you pay for espresso on both lines and you pay for booze on both lines, and normal coffee is included on both lines, you're talking about soda?

So the soda package is discussed here. Let's hope it's up to date. They seem to use the same IT company as Disney, so... :)

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/custo...y_asked_questions&faqId=3653&faqSubjectId=336

$8/day/person plus I believe 15% gratuity charged up front with that amount.

Water package on Royal is 1 liter bottles of Evian.
Water package on Royal seems to have been changed from the old half-liter bottles of Evian to I don't know the size of Dasani (ptooie).

Everything else has a charge on both lines. :)

That fee does indeed suck. No one is a fan of it.

Though the only thing I've ever ordered from room service on either line is continental breakfast, and there's no service charge for that still.

Yes, if you want fancy schmancy stuff and lobster of some sort on any given night, you will pay extra. It's obvious. Price is right there. The menu has it all boxed off and differentiated. And you won't be getting those items on any night you want on your Disney cruise. :)

Again, totally untrue.

And now at least Dream has Vanellope's for the fancy ice cream eaters, to match Royal's Ben and Jerry kiosks.

Oh and both serve cheaptastic, make my son and husband insane, junk ice cream at dinner.

Espresso drinks are about the same on each line. I've paid out of pocket for them on both. Non-booze pina coladas are super-cheap IMO on Royal. Haven't had 'em on Disney because I don't know what they are using, so we don't know if DH can have them. On Royal it's a brand we can look up online and check ingredients.

At least Royal has a package for non-alcoholic drinks (including 500ml bottles of spring water (not treated municipal water like Dasani)) so you can get those things to your heart's content, including FRESH squeezed OJ. I haven't seen fresh squeezed (as in they have a machine and they put oranges into it and juice comes out of the spout, right there in front of everyone) on Disney. Then again I haven't looked. :)

Only fees I've noticed are for scrapbooking on Royal. Does Disney have such a class? Not sure. Anyway, nothing is hidden. :)

What fees do you worry about? Bet we could help you with that.

Ugh, don't do it. Chocolate breakfast can be had in windjammer for free! :) It's still awful, though. We had that character meal when it was free and it was gross. Though the interaction with Po was pretty sweet. I dislike characters in general, Po pulled me in for a hug (ugh), but he was so sweet about it I actually ended up with a giant smile on my face. Fave moment right there. But breakfast, YUCK.

Yes certain ships. No to only clubs (never saw them at kid clubs) and at breakfast. They have set meet and greet times often with photographers. It's pretty awesome. For me it's awesome to avoid them. :)

Yep, when people were out and about. :)

Only characters I've noticed on DCL take up all the pretty photo-worthy spaces at about the same sorts of times (dinner, when people are out and about) and they block staircases and paths. Sigh.

They do. Here. :) Once Dreams Unlimited started selling Royal cruises they created a forum RIGHT HERE on the Dis. If you want any answers about Royal head there if you're intrigued, though we might have covered many questions. :)

ETA...there is nowhere I can find to cancel that Hold on the DCL cruise. UGH. They are going to make me call, aren't they?

"Why are you cancelling?"
"I was researching the functionality differences between you and Royal, based on a Disboards post, and I was super-curious...by the way, gratuities???"

That'll be fun.

And hey, the DCL thing actually sounds like fun. But 2100 vs 621 plus grats? During a time the kid has dance? And I booked it for just me and DH for expediency of the research? Yeah, not gonna happen on either line. :)

Though if we took it we would then be on the second level of "club" for each line. :)

I wish we could pin your post somewhere. Contains a lot of good informations.

Did you ever read that fable by Aesop about the wolf who couldn't reach the grapes?

Oh, you're saying we have sour grapes. Cute!

It's alternatively known as "being on the ocean is good. being on the ocean more often than less often is good. we want to sail more often. we don't care about Disney characters, and we prefer the aesthetics of the nice bright clean lines of royal ships (and Princess but we haven't sailed Princess yet), and someday we'll do Celebrity b/c DH likes to gamble but I would not let his smokey self back into the cabin, and Celebrity has smoke-FREE casinos..."

And cmwade said he had done research, but it wasn't very thorough IMO. I wanted to help him get a bigger picture, better facts, and an explanation of why you see "total" faster on Disney (b/c they ask for # of people first! and show the various levels of stateroom on one page vs more than one!).

I wish we could pin your post somewhere. Contains a lot of good informations.

Why thank you.

I do admit that I should have matched the cruise times, but it wasn't the price I was going for, but the reasoning of why we see when we see it. It just so happened that the cruise I clicked on for Royal (Majesty, I think, which I think is smaller than any Disney ship?) and tried to match for Disney (I don't even know what ship it was!) was less than DCL. It could have gone the other way (others insist they have seen that...I personally never have the times I've booked or mock-booked). It wasn't the point, though, and wouldn't have been if the prices had been reversed.

And either site might change at any moment, so what we see might change in the future. Maybe best to not pin it. ;) I don't want to be required to recheck every 6 months to see what's changed LOL.

I am trying to decide whether to go with RCCL or DCL for our October 2018 anniversary trip, and I was able to book 7 nt Oasis of the Seas with a Boardwalk Verandah (and soda package) for $1750 total. We have never done the Fantasy, and I am dying to try it, but the same cruise in an 07A at rack is about $3692. Now I could probably get that down to about $2900 after OBB discounts, OBC, and gift card deals, which means Fantasy will cost me about $1150 more for a week and no St Maarten/Maho Beach. I could also move the cruise to another week to save a little bit more money, just won't be during our first wedding anniversary.

I am nervous we won't enjoy the Oasis as much as we are huge Disney fans. (we've only sailed Disney up until this point) At this point I'm thinking I should just apply my placeholder to the Fantasy and hold both cruises until we can decide.

Unfortunately there is only one way to know, and that is to try it and find out for yourself. I had similar thoughts and we ended up trying RCCL twice (on smaller, older ships than the Oasis as they are the ones that went to St Maarten and sailed in Alaska). We have only sailed DCL since... that said, I am planning on trying out Princess to Glacier Bay some day as DCL doesn't go there. I am not completely a DCL or bust girl, but its not worth it to us to sail another line just to save a little money. If we truly preferred RCCLs ships, service, food, etc, I'd switch in a heartbeat but we did not.

RCL also charges for a sushi making class. But like scrap booking, the materials cost involved makes that reasonable.

Their $15-20 to decorate a cupcake is hard to rationalize, however.

Unfortunately there is only one way to know, and that is to try it and find out for yourself. I had similar thoughts and we ended up trying RCCL twice (on smaller, older ships than the Oasis as they are the ones that went to St Maarten and sailed in Alaska). We have only sailed DCL since... that said, I am planning on trying out Princess to Glacier Bay some day as DCL doesn't go there. I am not completely a DCL or bust girl, but its not worth it to us to sail another line just to save a little money. If we truly preferred RCCLs ships, service, food, etc, I'd switch in a heartbeat but we did not.

See but every time I compare cruises it's not "a little money" it's a lot- generally double! Our very good deal VGT cabin on an off season week in may was still double the cost of our post Christmas week on the Oasis!

My breaking point was for the 5 of us DCL was when I realized the fanatasy 7 nite at 7225.74 at the amount is one week on another PLUS one week WDW.

NCL oasis 6107 5 in a family balcony or Carnival Magic split up between a balcony and one interior room directly across for 4444. Carnival won because of price , Club C as my kids are 12 and 13 and with NCL they'd be split., and the fact we get two rooms and therefore two baths. 5 in one DCL room or OASIS. NOWAY!!! even if not in room much.. that is horror for us..

this is our first cruise and we went cheaper... I compare this to staying at a value when we also stay at deluxes.... we are just happy to be sailing.. my breaking point was that with DCL the 2800 difference and in one room.

with Carnival we can add a week at WDW and get our Mickey fix there. my kids are older and carnival after some research offers more... rope climbing more slides etc.... I dont need all those little "extras" like "have a magical day" or towels getting handed to us. almost 3000 more is not for us worth it.. Also food I hear it hit or miss on ALL lines depending on who you speak to.

We are risking a more party crowd, some trash if need be.. But I hear for week trips you get a better crowd than 3 night Bahamas.

we would LOVE to try DCL... but we forced our way out of the bubble and asked ourselves is it worth that more more??? some will say yes... we are taking our chances here....

ps. OASIS was too be of ship for us..... we live in a city so why sail on a city??

Last edited:
I LOVE DCL! We are gold with them, and I'm constantly checking for *GT rates to see if we can sail again. However with the crummy Canadian/US exchange rate, the price has gotten a bit out of reach for us. One day I am hoping to splurge for concierge for just DH and I, but we'll see if that pans out!

My latest example I cited recently was the 7-night 2018 Northern European cruise. On DCL a 5A balcony for three of us was just over $10,000 US which is over $13,000 CDN. We booked NCL instead which is actually a 9-night cruise with an extra port...they offer pricing in Canadian dollars, so we got a large balcony cabin for $7375 CDN, including free specialty dining and free adult beverage package. That's not a small price difference...that's over $5700, which could be used towards another vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter