What's on your Thanksgiving Menu?

mousebit

DIS Veteran
Happy Turkey Day Everybody! :wave2:

Usually I just lurk around over on the trip planning forums, but since I am trying to put together a recipe scrapbook and Thanksgiving is this week and I LOVE to cook (and eat)...Well, I just got to wonderin' what others are having for their "traditional" TG day meal.

Here in the midwest, our family pretty much sticks to the basics - no fancy dishes (those are for Christmas! :) ) Turkey, bread stuffing with lots of sage, mashed potatoes with lots of gravy, whole cranberries, yeast rolls, THE green bean casserole, corn, apple pie and pumpkin pie with lots of Cool Whip.

So, whats a traditional Thanksgiving meal in your neck of the woods?

We tend to stick to the basics.
Turkey
mashed potatoes
stuffing
sweet potatoes with brownsugar (NO marshmellows!)
rolls,
fresh cooked cranberries
veggies- probably broccoli
And cranberry salad- ground fresh cranberries (sweetened) whip cream, grapes and nuts. Its the only odd thing we have. My 8 year old has been talking about it for weeks. LOL

At my MIL/FIL's, the also serve the green bean casserole and homemade noodles in chicken stock.

At my house its the same thing every year:
turkey
cornbread dressing
mashed potatoes
gravy
green bean cassarole
sweet potatoes if dh insists
yeast rolls
cranberry sauce (shaped like the can! :lmao: )
cranberry salad
pecan pie
cheesecake

Its all very simple but we love it and look forward to it every year!

hlbtimes2 - How do you Seattle folks make your stuffing? Bread or cornbread? Do you add anything else - oysters, etc.? We like our sweet potatoes with lots of butter and brown sugar too - and no marshmellows here either. Those homemade noodles at your IL's sound yummy!

HunnyPots - I know what you mean about those decorative ridges in the cranberry mold! I would love to make that yummy cranberry salad you guys make, but dh insists on whole, cooked berries and the (grown) kids have to have the canned stuff. I'm thinking 3 cranberry dishes might be a bit much! ;)

I think that despite all the hype from the "culinary experts" about different regions having different TG traditions, in this country we all pretty much sit down to about the same meal. Don't you?

Except for the stuffing. The first year my oldest daughter was married, they went to her in-laws in AK for TG and she was shocked that they had cornbread stuffing with hard boiled eggs in it.

We have friends here in MO who have a big pot of chili on TG day. That way they can go to the parade in the morning, then just watch football and eat snacks & desserts all afternoon. Then they have a traditional turkey dinner over the week-end.

Any more TG menus/recipes to share?

We are having:

Fruit cocktail
Turkey
gravy
Stuffing
Mashed potatos
Mashed sweetpotato casserole
Candied sweetpotatos
Acorn squash
corn
cranberry sauce(canned)
fresh cranberry dressing
black olives
dinner rolls
pumpkin bread pudding
Inlaws are bringing apps and my brother's family's bringing pies and a green vegetable.

I will be feeding 15 people.

Turkey (using a Sandra Lee recipe for herb butter turkey)
Dressing (southern cornbread variety)
Gravy
Sweet potato casserole
Green Bean casserole
Squash (some just cooked-others in casserole)
Corn Pudding
Cranberry sauce (canned and fresh made)
Crescent Rolls
Sweet Potato Pie
Pumpkin cake

ugadog99 - I would love your corn pudding recipe sometime after the holiday if you have time to share it.

jx3smom - Same thing for your pumpkin bread pudding. I am a big bread pudding fan, but never had pumpkin. Sounds yummy!

THANX everyone for posting your menus!

ENJOY YOUR BOUNTIFUL THANKSGIVING FEASTS!

mousebit said:
Happy Turkey Day Everybody! :wave2:

>>>

.......Here in the midwest, our family pretty much sticks to the basics - no fancy dishes (those are for Christmas! :) ) ......

I have to ask, what kind of fancy dishes do you make at Christmas? I'm already planning that menu and love new ideas. :)

lagunaseca said:
I have to ask, what kind of fancy dishes do you make at Christmas? I'm already planning that menu and love new ideas. :)

Well, I don't know if "fancy" is the right word, but we just like traditional comfort foods at Thanksgiving, but at Christmas we like to dress it up a little. We always have a champagne brunch on Christmas morning - baked ham, a yummy egg casserole, fruit salad, a cinnamon roll Christmas tree, cheesecake, etc.

For dinner, it's usually something like crown roast or beef tenderloin and a variety of sides - depending on what recipes we want to try that year. For dessert, we always have a red velvet cake, a trifle and a big pretty tray of cookies.

You should start a new thread for Christmas recipes! :santa: I'd love to get others' ideas too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter