What would you like to see in the new era?

I will tell you something about the Dis that drives me batty! They are one of the largest travel agencies and somehow I rarely hear any breaking news from them or trip planning type content.

Granted I am primarily a DL fan, so I don’t follow the WDW content heavily, but I was just scrolling Instagram when I saw the new “secret” Little Mermaid rooms at Carribean Beach! They are gorgeous! I just did some goggling and found out this has been a thing for months, Erika even wrote a short article about it in November.

Did they ever talk about on the show??? Did they do a room review?! Did I totally miss this?? Why aren’t you telling me this instead yapping about crack dealers??

I literally am about to book a trip revolved around seeing these rooms. These rooms look super adorable! 😍
You make a very valid point.

The people here on DisBoards have provided a font of planning advice and information on discounts, but I've never gotten a single travel tip from the podcasts or videos. Other than a rundown of the host and guests likes and dislikes useful information is kind of sparse. Perhaps they were more informative in the early days but the Dis vlog/podcast content seems to have devolved in recent years.

They're certainly not alone, thanks to the influence of social media people either like something or dislike it. I guess we're in a thumbs-up or thumbs-down world now.

Last edited:
You make a very valid point.

The people here on DisBoards have provided a font of planning advice and information on discounts, but I've never gotten a single travel tip from the podcasts or videos. Other than a rundown of the host and guests likes and dislikes useful information is kind of sparse. Perhaps they were more informative in the early days but the Dis vlog/podcast content seems to have devolved in recent years.

They're certainly not alone, thanks to the influence of social media my neices and nephews either like something or dislike it. I guess we're in a thumbs-up or thumbs-down world now.
I think they were more informative years ago -but the reason for the lack of it is more related to how many different discount possibilities being offered. There would be no way to reasonably explain it to viewers so that it was specific and interesting. It's easier to reach out to a Dreams Agent and tell them what type, if any, discount you may qualify for. They are up to speed on the constant changing world of discounts and can help a client directly.

I feel like I remember the team years back addressed the issue as "how many times can we talk about the basics"

I think it might be beneficial to create something now as it seems Genie+/ILL is sticking around and to many seem complicated. There's a lot more stuff to Disney than in the past.

But I could see just making 1 or 2 videos and then maybe creating a spot on the YouTube page (for those that watch, not familiar with what to do for the listeners) for "The Basics" or something like that where people can be pointed to.

This is if we're talking about trip planning.

Asking for exactly what we’ve had for over a decade can hardly be viewed as “neither practical nor achievable” or “blue sky”.
Clearly we don't agree on this. Pete built out a studio in his own home, knocking down walls, reconfiguring his interior spacing, sacrificing bedrooms, and largely devaluing the resale value of his home, all to achieve a passion project of having a state of the art studio suitable for a live show and a number of other productions recorded there. THAT is what we have had for a decade. Is that now practical or achievable in the next phase? I guess you say yes and I say no. I think that the future state will have to be something entirely different. We just disagree. That is not a crime.

For the reasons stated above. The state of the art studio just isn't coming back.
Oh, I don't think a live show (which I've already said isn't important to me personally) needs to look like it has with a fancy in-person studio. I'm perfectly fine with the Zoom shows they did during COVID. I think there is ample tech today that everyone already has to continue to put out a live show, probably at a far lower cost and with much greater ease than what was happening in the house/studio. And that makes getting more people involved worlds easier. Jackie can be on the show from Seattle. John and Kevin can join in from Cape May. Tracey from Canada. Theresa can be involved from the Welcome Center. Corey and Julie can be on even if they need to be home with the kids. Steve Porter could drop in from Utah. A thunderstorm won't threaten the whole production. A power outage might knock out one person but the rest could still carry on. Somebody having the flu wouldn't cancel the show.

Oh, I don't think a live show (which I've already said isn't important to me personally) needs to look like it has with a fancy in-person studio. I'm perfectly fine with the Zoom shows they did during COVID. I think there is ample tech today that everyone already has to continue to put out a live show, probably at a far lower cost and with much greater ease than what was happening in the house/studio. And that makes getting more people involved worlds easier. Jackie can be on the show from Seattle. John and Kevin can join in from Cape May. Tracey from Canada. Theresa can be involved from the Welcome Center. Corey and Julie can be on even if they need to be home with the kids. Steve Porter could drop in from Utah. A thunderstorm won't threaten the whole production. A power outage might knock out one person but the rest could still carry on. Somebody having the flu wouldn't cancel the show.
I loved those shows! Especially when the pups would try to get their moments in the spotlight. Think I enjoyed the pups part a lot more than they did though🤣

First post, though I have been a pretty hardcore viewer of the Dis and Dining shows for many years, going back to Jenny Lynn and Oliver.

I selectively subscribe to several vloggers.

Top Tier - Usually watch every day when new content is available. Disney Vlogger Royalty.. all are authentic in their approach.
Mamouth Club
Ordinary Adventures
TPM
Tim Tracker
The Dis (meanig Craig/Ryno/Erica)

2nd Tier - Sectively watch
WDWNT - News Show only
Deni
I'll see you in Main Street (currently taking a break, would be Top Tier if they were online)
DFB

3rd Tier - Occasionally watch based on topic
PC Dev
TLDR

No longer -
Touring Plans
DSNY
AllEars.Net

The key difference across the top tier is authenticity. The DIS, TLDR and DFB are unique as there is a specific product tie in, DIS Travel Agent, TLDR and DFB travel guides. Having a unique lane has it's advantages as well as it's challenges. It's hard to 'cross the streams' and engage with other vloggers due to the unique business tie in.

First get away from the Hollywood Squares/Zoom format. The shows flow better when you are in the room together. The one thing Corliss does well is use the studio.

Second I miss the crew that was is in California that focused there. (Tom?).

Third - Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Tokyo, Shanghi, Hong Kong, Aulani. I made a trip to Paris after followig Sven and Elise. Peter and Kitra have talked me into a trip to Aulani/Hawaii. John brought it up as an idea durig the panel discussion from California, he said something about Shanghai.

And some more - Adventures by Disney - John and Kevin discussed their travels during the panel. Travel log recap of their adventures using the service. Maybe a 'Rick Steves' type series on travelling ABD. Zoe Wood - very interesting content, I know she is in Australia, a different perspective of going to Disney, expereince with Asian parks. Maybe a Monday Merch show. The shows are really focused on Florida Passholders, how about following DUT customers on their travel from different locations. Experience navigating the airport or driving. Technical/Strategic analysis. DUT has a lot of data. What does their historical experience project to current trends as crowd levels, best nights for holiday events, DCL.

Use Kylie more, reprise Too Dudes on a Cruise, Julie is a plus. I miss Fiasco and Haley, thier videos as a couple were always welcome. An occasional visit from Steve Porter would be interesting. Forget the DVC content, I got tired of Pete always trying to sell me a time share.

Again I know there has to be a cross marketing between DUT and the DIS for the most part.

One more piece of advice, learn from wathcing other's failures. Allears has lost their way, don't go down that path. To me Craig and Ryno fit into Disney vlogger royalty, with the Trackers, Molly and Peter/Kitra.

Top Tier - Usually watch every day when new content is available. Disney Vlogger Royalty.. all are authentic in their approach.
Mamouth Club
Ordinary Adventures
TPM
Tim Tracker
I'll just point out something interesting about your list here, all of those people are self-employed. Not that it means that The Dis can't be in that company, I think it's just an interesting observation. I know Molly had spoken about leaving AE because of the limitations on autonomy. I agree in terms of authenticity, but I think that can also come along with being ones' own boss. I think for any kind of future success on youtube for The Dis, they'll need to figure out what their identity is. DUT will need to properly fund and invest in that and allow Craig and Ryno the space to have growing pains in order to figure it out. They have the benefit of a built-in audience, it'll be up to the powers that be whether they give them the ability to try and keep it and most importantly grow it in an oversaturated dis-youtube market.

First post, though I have been a pretty hardcore viewer of the Dis and Dining shows for many years, going back to Jenny Lynn and Oliver.

Mamouth Club
Ordinary Adventures
TPM
Tim Tracker

2nd Tier - Sectively watch
WDWNT - News Show only
Deni
I'll see you in Main Street (currently taking a break, would be Top Tier if they were online)
DFB

3rd Tier - Occasionally watch based on topic
PC Dev
TLDR

No longer -
Touring Plans
DSNY
AllEars.Net

The key difference across the top tier is authenticity. The DIS, TLDR and DFB are unique as there is a specific product tie in, DIS Travel Agent, TLDR and DFB travel guides. Having a unique lane has it's advantages as well as it's challenges. It's hard to 'cross the streams' and engage with other vloggers due to the unique business tie in.

First get away from the Hollywood Squares/Zoom format. The shows flow better when you are in the room together. The one thing Corliss does well is use the studio.

Second I miss the crew that was is in California that focused there. (Tom?).

Third - Disneyland Paris, Disneyland Tokyo, Shanghi, Hong Kong, Aulani. I made a trip to Paris after followig Sven and Elise. Peter and Kitra have talked me into a trip to Aulani/Hawaii. John brought it up as an idea durig the panel discussion from California, he said something about Shanghai.

And some more - Adventures by Disney - John and Kevin discussed their travels during the panel. Travel log recap of their adventures using the service. Maybe a 'Rick Steves' type series on travelling ABD. Zoe Wood - very interesting content, I know she is in Australia, a different perspective of going to Disney, expereince with Asian parks. Maybe a Monday Merch show. The shows are really focused on Florida Passholders, how about following DUT customers on their travel from different locations. Experience navigating the airport or driving. Technical/Strategic analysis. DUT has a lot of data. What does their historical experience project to current trends as crowd levels, best nights for holiday events, DCL.

Use Kylie more, reprise Too Dudes on a Cruise, Julie is a plus. I miss Fiasco and Haley, thier videos as a couple were always welcome. An occasional visit from Steve Porter would be interesting. Forget the DVC content, I got tired of Pete always trying to sell me a time share.

Again I know there has to be a cross marketing between DUT and the DIS for the most part.

One more piece of advice, learn from wathcing other's failures. Allears has lost their way, don't go down that path. To me Craig and Ryno fit into Disney vlogger royalty, with the Trackers, Molly and Peter/Kitra.
I have been a long time listener to the podcast. Started in 2011 and haven’t missed one episode since. I seem to remember that after adventures, the guys would give a recap of the trip they went on and I loved it. I will be honest, I put tons of stock in the opinions of the people that have been on this show (including he who just not be named) and they have really helped me make decisions on what I wanted to do and try based on their reviews. I would love to see ABD recaps comeback. When they would do them there is no way I could afford them but I am in a different place in my life now as my kids have gotten older and it doesn’t take much nudging to get me interested in trying something Disney.

One more that you (and everyone) should check out. Not sure I can type out the website, as they are also Disney Travel Agents. But if you do an internet search for "Dan Lelsie Disney Dining Reviews" you will get right to it. Best Disney dining reviews on YT. They also do a recorded (imagine that!) podcast that posts every Sunday and that can be on any topic, Disney or Universal related. Not just dining. They had the "out of town" sensibility that many crave until 2 years ago when they too "Moved to Orlando".

What would I like to see in the new era?? I'd like to see the two travel agencies merge and have Dan and Leslie join the DIS broadcast/podcast team. Create a super-team.

One more that you (and everyone) should check out. Not sure I can type out the website, as they are also Disney Travel Agents. But if you do an internet search for "Dan Lelsie Disney Dining Reviews" you will get right to it. Best Disney dining reviews on YT. They also do a recorded (imagine that!) podcast that posts every Sunday and that can be on any topic, Disney or Universal related. Not just dining. They had the "out of town" sensibility that many crave until 2 years ago when they too "Moved to Orlando".

What would I like to see in the new era?? I'd like to see the two travel agencies merge and have Dan and Leslie join the DIS broadcast/podcast team. Create a super-team.
I've seen them ..I watched a few vlogs around their move, but they are good. Haven't seen their Dining Reviews -I'll have to check them out.

I usually only watch the DIS Unplugged for the few weeks/months running up to a park visit. I would like to see more emphasis on the parks, rides & hotels rather than new merchandise or new menu items. Those things are probably of interest to locals who have seen it all, done it all rather than your average vacationer. When trip planning I really don't care about the latest merchandise. And I definitely don't want to hear bragging about concierge level cruise cabins that cost $6000 for a four night trip. There was a time when that was a focus for half an hour of each show with Pete and it was excruciating.

As an objective, reasoned Chatterati, I do feel it's important to keep some aspect of live community going forward. "I feel/ I think" isn't a hallmark of selfishness, but is instead:
1) Owning my own personal viewpoint, which is no less and no more valid than another person's viewpoint.
2) Owning that the value of feeling a part of community is very real, very palpable, and can be extremely lucrative when it's used for heavy lifting of big goals. (See the results of "The Power of 10" campaign, which was largely accomplished through multiple DISmeets = community events.)

When I watched (and participated in the live chats) I made a habit of watching the view counts, and they were regularly around 1.1K. Now, the number of folks actually chatting during the stream was closer to 30-40 or at least it felt that way. Now, does it make objective sense to cater to 30-40 live posters? I can see arguments that it doesn't, but I also note how nearly every stream a few posters would say, "I finally made it to a live stream." Clearly, they've been watching and wanting to participate in a way that pre-recorded stream did not offer. We don't have regular DISmeets, as we used to locally or larger DIS cons,** so I don't see an immediate way for those who are here for the community to keep that engagement alive, excepting for the boards and the few streams with live chats. (Such as "Premiere" YT streams, or actual live streams.)

Personally, I don't have much use for recorded info... I kind of look at it as different research media that I tend to only watch when I need to learn about a subject. I am not motivated by non-interactive-media. Maybe I am in a very small minority that is primarily here for the people and interactive community. I felt it important to speak up for the minority that misses DISmeets, thrives on interacting with fans from all over the world, and getting to actually meet in person at events. I appreciate being able to share this viewpoint, amongst many others, as the leadership finds its way forward.

+ Cross Posted from my 08AUG2023 post in the Panda Thread:
"If we're simply offering ideas for consideration: I'd love to see a very intentional interim person(s) in the hosting duties. It would alleviate the pressure to be "The" host, while clearing the air for more permanent solution(s).
When a single person is in a visible role for an extended length of time, especially one with power/authority, any transition to the new person can be a difficult uphill climb. Having an intentional interim figure, allows for an adjustment period to take place, which will be less impactful to the actual replacement person when they do fill the role."

**Since I prefer to be part of solutions, I'm more than happy to volunteer as tribute to help with the organization of a local DISmeet or large scale DIScon. I don't have the ability to bankroll, but I do have some experience with cons and would be happy to help the team. Just send me a PM.

As an objective, reasoned Chatterati, I do feel it's important to keep some aspect of live community going forward. "I feel/ I think" isn't a hallmark of selfishness, but is instead:
1) Owning my own personal viewpoint, which is no less and no more valid than another person's viewpoint.
2) Owning that the value of feeling a part of community is very real, very palpable, and can be extremely lucrative when it's used for heavy lifting of big goals. (See the results of "The Power of 10" campaign, which was largely accomplished through multiple DISmeets = community events.)

When I watched (and participated in the live chats) I made a habit of watching the view counts, and they were regularly around 1.1K. Now, the number of folks actually chatting during the stream was closer to 30-40 or at least it felt that way. Now, does it make objective sense to cater to 30-40 live posters? I can see arguments that it doesn't, but I also note how nearly every stream a few posters would say, "I finally made it to a live stream." Clearly, they've been watching and wanting to participate in a way that pre-recorded stream did not offer. We don't have regular DISmeets, as we used to locally or larger DIS cons,** so I don't see an immediate way for those who are here for the community to keep that engagement alive, excepting for the boards and the few streams with live chats. (Such as "Premiere" YT streams, or actual live streams.)

Personally, I don't have much use for recorded info... I kind of look at it as different research media that I tend to only watch when I need to learn about a subject. I am not motivated by non-interactive-media. Maybe I am in a very small minority that is primarily here for the people and interactive community. I felt it important to speak up for the minority that misses DISmeets, thrives on interacting with fans from all over the world, and getting to actually meet in person at events. I appreciate being able to share this viewpoint, amongst many others, as the leadership finds its way forward.

+ Cross Posted from my 08AUG2023 post in the Panda Thread:
"If we're simply offering ideas for consideration: I'd love to see a very intentional interim person(s) in the hosting duties. It would alleviate the pressure to be "The" host, while clearing the air for more permanent solution(s).
When a single person is in a visible role for an extended length of time, especially one with power/authority, any transition to the new person can be a difficult uphill climb. Having an intentional interim figure, allows for an adjustment period to take place, which will be less impactful to the actual replacement person when they do fill the role."

**Since I prefer to be part of solutions, I'm more than happy to volunteer as tribute to help with the organization of a local DISmeet or large scale DIScon. I don't have the ability to bankroll, but I do have some experience with cons and would be happy to help the team. Just send me a PM.
I second all of what you just said and would happily volunteer to be your wing-Tiggerette anytime❤️

I usually only watch the DIS Unplugged for the few weeks/months running up to a park visit. I would like to see more emphasis on the parks, rides & hotels rather than new merchandise or new menu items. Those things are probably of interest to locals who have seen it all, done it all rather than your average vacationer. When trip planning I really don't care about the latest merchandise. And I definitely don't want to hear bragging about concierge level cruise cabins that cost $6000 for a four night trip. There was a time when that was a focus for half an hour of each show with Pete and it was excruciating.
This is where there's all kinds of different people though. We aren't locals either, but we enjoy seeing what merchandise is available ahead of our trips. Heck, even when we aren't visiting. One year, DD saw a pair of Christmas Minnie ears she clearly loved on one of Ryno's shopping videos (she's minimally speaking, so it can be difficult to discern at times). We weren't visiting for Christmas, but I have a friend who lives close enough to drop in and she was happy to go get a pair for DD. It made for a very special Christmas moment that wouldn't have happened without that video.

Maybe I am in a very small minority that is primarily here for the people and interactive community. I felt it important to speak up for the minority that misses DISmeets, thrives on interacting with fans from all over the world, and getting to actually meet in person at events. I appreciate being able to share this viewpoint, amongst many others, as the leadership finds its way forward.
I'm right there with you in that minority, and it probably is a pretty small number of fans overall who have ever attended one of the meets. Personally, as my tag says, I'm a DIS meet junkie. I've been to meets in NJ, PA, DE, MA, VA, and FL. I was at the New England meet talking with JL and PW (sorry for mentioning him) and JL, who already knew me, was confused since she had seen me at other meets. She said, "Wait, do you live here?" and PW immediately answered, "No, he lives in New Jersey." It just so happened that I went to meets in 5 states that year.

Getting to meet so many great people in real life, including you, Tiggerette, is definitely one of the highlights of my association with the DIS. A couple of my dearest friends came to me this way, people I'm in touch with almost daily. I very much miss those meets. I'm glad that the team carried on with the California event recently. We couldn't attend but hopefully can do the next Florida one, or maybe the podcast cruise John is planning. It would be awesome to see everyone again and meet more people.

I’d like to see the best and worst rebooted. This was the show that actually caused me to the find the dis in the first place. A simple search for “best restaurants in xyz” will lead more viewers to the channel. Also the ones that were done are now quite out of date so could be refreshed :)

I am an old timer on these boards. I have been on here for 19 years this month. I enjoyed the information in the past but never really cared for Pete. I kinda tolerated him. I think more of John and Kevin is a good thing as they come across as much more stable and level headed. I think the shows should be more "in the field" no need for a studio. It would give guests to maybe drop in and give their feedback every once in a while. Most of the top tier vloggers do that. Mr Morrow is by far in my opinion the best. I feel it may be an option for him to be at least talked to about coming aboard. Just my two cents

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter