What was different about Disney Cruise #2

Chuckaluck

Earning My Ears
We went on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy in 2014 - our first crude ever - with the thought that it was a once in a lifetime vacation. Well we had so much fun we are thinking of doing the 7 day Eastern! For repeat cruisers, what is different after the first one?

We went on a 7 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy in 2014 - our first crude ever - with the thought that it was a once in a lifetime vacation. Well we had so much fun we are thinking of doing the 7 day Eastern! For repeat cruisers, what is different after the first one?
Our second cruise was much more relaxing, but our first was a 3 night Bahamian on the Dream in 2011. Second was the eastern on the Fantasy in 2013. That cruise truly sold me on cruising! We did the Western in 2014 on the Fantasy also and loved it just as much as the 2013 cruise but we really thing the eastern itinerary is a calmer more relaxed atmosphere. I don't know if it's because the extra sea day or what. Since then we've been on 4 other cruises and have 3 more booked in the next 10 months. We've completely fallen in love with cruises and that's our only option now when it comes to vacations. We've started cruising Carnival also and love them too, (never did I ever think I would have said that), but we just love being on the water and unplugged from the real world. Our first Fantasy cruise was also going to be our trip of a lifetime and thought we'd never be able to do it again!!

We've done 5 cruises and are still experiencing new things (aside from different ships, itineraries, and movies) -- shows, food, spa services, trivia, tastings, and places to sit and relax or enjoy a beverage. No two cruises have been alike (other than a few traditions we've established). Enjoy!

Our first cruise was in 2012 and we hadnt done any research and we just kind of learned as we went. On the second cruise, we were much more well informed having had that first cruise under our belt so we knew to get early dining, get off at castaway cay early, get to the shows early, get an early boarding time, not to over pack, etc.

We just finished cruise 15 not long ago and we have a very good routine for what works for us now. It's very efficient and we get to maximize the experience for everyone in our family.

Our first cruise was a western on the Fantasy and our second was an eastern also on the Fantasy. As Club Disney Chandler said above the biggest difference was the second cruise seemed much more relaxed. We didn't feel like we had to see and do everything. We also loved the second sea day on the eastern as it gives you more time to relax and explore the ship. It just felt like we weren't running around as much on the second cruise. The first one was overwhelming where as on the second we were able to take it easy and really enjoy the experience. We loved both cruises and have our third and fourth scheduled for January of next year. We see cruising as a way to get a little taste of islands we may want to revisit. The eastern introduced us to St. Maarten - St. Martin where we just spent a wonderful 10 days this past June. We found we love cruising and will likely include cruises in our vacation rotation for the rest of our lives.

Martin

You know what to do. If this was your Disney cruise, let alone cruise in general, you may be confused on not necessarily the concept, just the way to cruise. My first three were when I was very young and I have little/ no memories. Now I understand some of the cruising life hacks. It gets better every time. I kind of use to my advantage. if you remember your last cruise well, think about it. What were things I did wrong? You either might know or you can look it up or even ask on here. Overall it will be way easier. Good Luck!

I would say that you know what to expect on the second cruise. Events tend to repeat themselves so the element of surprise is a little less present.

I recommand to add a lot of different/new activities to make it special.

After the first cruise I did an informal "hotwash" and looked at some of the things we didn't get to do but wanted to. I created a list of "must dos" including eating breakfast at the MDR, midship detective, more alcohol tasting, etc. it gave me more things to look forward to on the next cruise. I also think the Eastern has more sea days which gives u more time to explore the ship and is more relaxing. It's a great vacation for everyone...which is why we keep booking them.. Plus, I don't feel like I need a vacation after my vacation.

My second one was 4-nights rather than 3, so I had the sea day and Palo brunch. It was my first solo cruise - well, solo-ish as my sister was on contract and had permission to eat with me in the MDRs but I was pretty much on my own the rest of the time.

i don't think there were any real surprises for me on the first one as I pretty much knew what to expect and my parents, sis (not on contract at the time) and I went into it not even saying we were going to try and do everything - so for me the first was as relaxing as the second.

My first cruise was the Inaugural year - 1998 - of the Magic. My second cruise was in 2012 on the Magic - NYC to Bahamas. I don't remember much about my first cruise but my second was celebrating my daughter's 3rd birthday. I remember that the dining wasn't so good - we were at a table for 3 and our dining team had a VERY big table that seemed to take all their time and attention. There wasn't much for my daughter to do - she was too young for a lot of activities and wouldn't go in the kids' club. I hated the itinerary (the worst ever!). We spent so/TOO much time waiting on line for photos with characters and princesses - definitely the highlight for my daughter - dressed in all her princess dresses.

Fast forward to 2016 after two cruises on the Fantasy we were back on the Magic - a very Merrytime Cruise. My daughter was at a great age to enjoy all the Christmas activities, I loved our itinerary (NYC to San Juan), we had a great dining team, and somehow all the stars aligned for us to have our best Disney cruise ever.

We're the same: 1st was W Caribbean on Fantasy and our next is E Caribbean on Fantasy.
There were a few things we didn't do on the 1st cruise so I'm hoping to do them this time: Remy brunch, Cocktail classes, see a show (we did 2nd seating and didn't see any of the shows), Bingo! I'm looking forward to the extra sea day.

Our second cruise was a Double Dip at CC and that was awesome! What wasn't so good is that it was a 4nt and our first cruise was a 7nt. I realized pretty quickly that 4nts is way too short, just a very different feel from a 7nt cruise.

My first one was 7 nights way too short for my first cruise. So the second one was a 14 night. Things I did different was not take the ship tour. You have more time to relax and enjoy.
On my first cruise I had a verendah. On my second one I had a inside room. Inside room is just fine for me. I'm not in my room long

Last edited:
Well the fact that it was half price, because we sailed the first time on The infamous Magic cruise where they had their first big Norovirus outbreak and our 10 year old son was the unlucky one who came down with it, thankfully the day we came home and not mid cruise way back in 2002.
So we sailed again in Dec 2003 for #2, there were at least 10 other families on that cruise who were also repeaters from the previous Norovirus cruise, it was like a reunion.
They were very nice even upgraded our cabin to one that was bigger, its now a concierge room I believe right next to The Roy Suite.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter