What to do

tink2007

DIS Veteran
We are planning a trip next June. We used the DDP last year and enjoyed it very much. By next year, my son will be 11 and will be considered an adult. He is not a big eater and I know he would rather order off the kids menu. I feel like it is not worth it to pay for the adult plan for him. Is it a better idea to just pay out of pocket for him? What about letting him share with me?

I know exactly what you are talking about! My kids will be 10 after our trip and we are already talking about the trip for 2007 and by then they will be 11 as well. We will do the dining plan, just because I loved to have everything pre-paid. And as i'm hesitant about paying for them as an adult, I feel I just have to! So, good luck with your decision!

Since your paying for an 11 year old as an adult you can always pay OOP for a kids meal and use the extra TS for an adult meal. Last year we went with our 10 year old and He did eat adult CS meals but acouple times at TS he ate kids meals. We had an extra meal or 2 for us. We had no problems with this at any rest.

Just a reminder that you must purchase dining for everybody in your room, so unless your kids are in a separate room you have to have dining for everyone or nobody.

Our DS is turning 10 right after our August trip, so August will be our last DDP purchase. He barely eats $11 worth of food in a day, let alone $39! He couldn't finish an adult appetizer, entree, and dessert if he had all afternoon to do it.

We're buying Annual Passes and a DDE card so he can order as much or as little as he wants. We don't come out vastly ahead with Dining Plan (less than $300 last trip) and paying for DS as an adult would obliterate any savings at all. Even without the DDE it would be a toss up as to whether we would save any money doing DDP vs. OOP if we had to pay for DS as an adult.

I'd probably still do it and just share meals with him. You'll save up all of the extra credits to be able to have more meals that way, and you can also use them to splurge on signature dining.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter