What to do if your flight is cancelled - Weather, mechanical, etc

If you have a weather waiver, but your original flight is not yet cancelled, you generally do pay the difference in fare, but change fees are waived. That usually means you are paying full-fare prices. If your flight is cancelled you do not pay the fare difference.

Thank you for that info. I guess it'll be a wait and see the because the money tree out back doesn't have $900 on it right now:rotfl:.

Just tried to rebook online. It is waiving the change fee but trying to charge us $900 for the difference in fare. Is that how it's supposed to work? We're not changing our cities, just moving up by a day.

Tried calling Delta and it says they are unable to take calls at this time due to extreme weather :headache:.

No, that's not how it's suppose to work. One of the things Delta does NOT do well is online changes.... I know this won't be welcome to hear... keep calling! SORRY!

Delta will allow you to do a weather waiver even if they have not cancelled your flight.. I am trying to decide what to do about my flight this evening right now and it's still scheduled. (I book via a company TA so I don't have to deal with thier phone service!)

Delta will allow you to do a weather waiver even if they have not cancelled your flight..
This could be right. I might not have read the waiver language closely enough. Here is an example:
http://www.delta.com/traveling_checkin/flight_status_updates/advisories/atlanta_winter10/index.jsp

That page is the Atlanta waiver. At the bottom, it says:

Conditions & Restrictions
Changes to origins and destinations may result in an increase in fare. Any difference in fare between your original ticket and the new ticket will be collected at the time of booking.

I only looked at the last sentence when I posted, but the first may change things. I suppose there are two ways to read that. One is that fare only changes if you change endpoints. But, it is possible that the two sentences are unrelated. OC Commuter is right; it is worth calling.

Thanks all. My husband was finally able to get through and they did move us to a flight tomorrow with no change fees or charges for the difference in airfare. Here's hoping we make it out:goodvibes.

I got and tried to drive to the airport.. I turned around after a mile and came home and cancelled the trip. Not worth the risk IMHO. Atlanta is a DISASTER today!

In that case.

If you know anyone in Egypt, the U.S. State Department is working on getting people out. Information is on the state department web site, but in Egypt, your friends may not have access to the internet, or even a cell phone - as the government has been limiting access fairly severely. If you talk to them, be prepared to get an internet connection.

One of my childhood friends was on one of the last planes out of Iran when the Shah fell - her parents were left behind and didn't get out for years. I don't think Egypt will be that, but if you know anyone who is there, you might want to familiarize yourself with the state department information.

It's been a while since this has been bumped.....

The info provided by the OP is great info for anyone who has a flight cancelled..... with the storms on the East Coast upon us, it is great to review this info.

Have a great day and thanks to a good friend, Bavaria, for starting this post!

Duds

It's been a while since this has been bumped.....

The info provided by the OP is great info for anyone who has a flight cancelled..... with the storms on the East Coast upon us, it is great to review this info.

Have a great day and thanks to a good friend, Bavaria, for starting this post!

Duds
You just gave me heart failure....I saw this and thought our friend had returned!! Oh well. It is great info though. Bavaria is one of the most well traveled people I know...and has a ton of 100% correct info to share.

Question: How many hotel phone numbers do you all put into your phone? I just put in Best Western and Hilton. Figured those were 2 that have hotels all over the place. Anyone else I should put in? Oh, just entered the Hyatt at MCO too.

How about airlines? I have Air Tran in, as we are flying them soon. Would it make sense to put in Southwest? Would one airline help if the other was having issues?:confused3

Question: How many hotel phone numbers do you all put into your phone? I just put in Best Western and Hilton. Figured those were 2 that have hotels all over the place. Anyone else I should put in? Oh, just entered the Hyatt at MCO too.

How about airlines? I have Air Tran in, as we are flying them soon. Would it make sense to put in Southwest? Would one airline help if the other was having issues?:confused3

I would add the numbers for Holiday Inn and Marriott.

Southwest and AirTran have no interline ticketing agreements, unlike legacy airlines, so if something goes wrong, they won't put you on another airline.

You just gave me heart failure....I saw this and thought our friend had returned!! Oh well. It is great info though. Bavaria is one of the most well traveled people I know...and has a ton of 100% correct info to share.

She's still around, just not here on the DIS. She and I were emailing back and forth just today.

Duds

She's still around, just not here on the DIS. She and I were emailing back and forth just today.

Duds
I know....heard from her a week or so ago....just miss her actual posting here. So much good info from her. But, she was way too 'severe' for some....:thumbsup2

I know....heard from her a week or so ago....just miss her actual posting here. So much good info from her. But, she was way too 'severe' for some....:thumbsup2

Yeah, "severe", meaning honest, straightforward, non-pixie dust filled information that got the job done. That's probably why she and I get along so well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter