What to do if your flight is cancelled - Weather, mechanical, etc

Thanks guys! Good timing, as always. Just so that you all know....bavaria is watching, always watching!!!

Then tell her to get her rear end back here. We need her! I think she is the only poster who was always right.:rotfl: I don't remember her ever posting anything that wasn't found to be correct. She was full of so much knowledge and was always willing to share it. We need more people like her on the DIS. She was always one of my favorite posters.

Then tell her to get her rear end back here. We need her! I think she is the only poster who was always right.:rotfl: I don't remember her ever posting anything that wasn't found to be correct. She was full of so much knowledge and was always willing to share it. We need more people like her on the DIS. She was always one of my favorite posters.

I agree ... Bavara posts were direct but still contained the feel of *pixie dust*

(helpful and kind @ the same time).

Probably why we got along so well..... Now I have to go email her to tell her that her thread still has life...........

As DH and I sit, each trying to get someone at American on the phone on individual cellphones, I think of this thread and the recent bump. And wish like heck that we hadn't had the clever idea of DH flying in from a business trip for just under a day to see DS in his first Dance Company performance. We miraculously got him here. Now we're trying to get him back.

Problem? His business trip is in Dallas. :headache:

Wishing I could have run this past bavaria before making the clever plan. :headache:

What a great thread.

We don't travel often so these tips are super helpful.

I have not read through the whole thread, but I have just a few more tips (based on our trip to disneyland last year):

1) Add your airlines social media info...especially twitter. Last year, our flight out of Denver was delayed and while gate agents kept giving excuses, the agents staffing their twitter support account were super amazing. Once I tweeted our situation, they kept tweeting me updates on my flight. They actually told me the flight was cancelled before the gate. AND got us booked on the next available flight. All we had to do was go have our new boarding passes printed.

2) Also can't hurt to add airports on social media. Day before Thanksgiving, my parents were coming home out of Dallas (right after the first round of ice storms). I was able to get quick answers as far as if there were any delays or cancelations (there were none) without pulling up a website or making a call. I'll also point out that these last few days of ice storms, the tweets from DFW have been often and informative.

Really, social media is a powerful tool nowadays. Use it to your advantage!!! Especially when traveling.

That's a cool idea, seanaci. I know that just clicking to read American's Twitter feed gave me info that was under multiple layers of clicks on their website.

And something that helped me and DH earlier (after I posted they answered the phone after 75 minutes and I nearly fainted I was so surprised!) was to not only have flightaware up with all of the applicable nonstop flights he wanted...but DH had the actual airline website up, too. He kept refreshing and was watching seats on various flights come and go. Just as we were about to go forward with a connecting flight that wouldn't get him in until 10pm tomorrow (knock wood) DH refreshed once more and saw a seat come available for a much better nonstop flight. I quickly told the guy on the phone the exact details, asked him to try to get it, and let him do his magic. And he did.

Now, come on Dallas...just stay relatively CLEAR. And wow I hope the aircraft is already in Seattle. :)

Bumping, because it is storm season again.

If you just want to hit the highlights of this thread, look for post #117, where all of the best nuggets were compiled in one spot.

PS: I spent a few minutes looking back at the beginning of the thread, which she posted back in 2007. It's both amusing and frightening how much the technology we carry has changed since then. (The advice is still all good, but some of the devices mentioned are now dinosaurs.)

I got all excited..for a moment I thought Bavaria was back! Nope, not the case. Man, I miss that great info! Carry-on.

I did too. :worried:

I actually just tucked a bar of chocolate in my carry on bag, and thought of her.

What a great thread! I'd like to add that in the last few years I've noticed the airlines are much quicker to offer to waive change fees for rebooking, and/or cancel flights. So I have a couple of tips to add:

1). When airlines allow you to rebook for free by waiving change fees, it does NOT necessarily mean the flights will be cancelled. In the last year I took advantage of rebooking, and also turned it down, both times with good results. You have to gauge the situation for yourself.

-This past weekend my flight out of NC (where my daughter goes to school) was on the list of cities where rebooking fees were waived. But I took a look at the forecast and decided there was a good chance the flight would leave on time, so I didn't reschedule. As the flight time grew closer I kept checking to see if it was going to be canceled, and it never was. We left under cloudy but dry skies and had an uneventful flight & connection to our home airport.​

-This is in direct contrast with Florence where anyone who was paying attention could see it was going to smack NC all the way inland, as soon as they offered rebooks on those I was all over it. I can tell you the phone wait time in the beginning was short and exploded after just a couple of hours. (This is where and early heads up from Twitter comes in handy). They then later cancelled all those flights, but I had rebooked long before that.​

So I think a little judgement goes a long way in terms of the weather.

2). Don't assume you'll miss your connection, either. My son was set to miss his connecting flight because of a delay, but the weather was crappy all over so he elected to try to make the connection (and possibly stay overnight- we do have friends there). All the flights ended up delayed. Sometimes you can tell this by checking flightaware to see where that connecting flight's plane actually is. In his case, it was coming in a little late and ended up a lot late, so he actually made it home. This has actually happened more than once to me as well.

3). And finally, if there's a catastrophe in a main hub it can have repercussions all across the country because flight crews and aircraft are not able to reposition. Imagine my surprise when the tornado in ATL two years ago caused my Delta flight out of Montana to be canceled! Pay attention to the news, if your airline's hub has a computer problem or weather disaster it could reach all the way across the country to you.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter