What to do and prices at HHI

disney212

DIS Veteran
Just booked a week in a 2BD are HHI for DD college graduation. This is our first visit. What is there to do besides sit on the beach and how much do the activities cost. Trying to set up a realistic budget. DD will be 22 and have her BFF with her. They are both just out of college so don't have much discretionary income, we want to help with activities but have no clue what they cost. Any help would be appreciated! :confused3

I'm assuming this will be early summer for graduation. We love to kayak, run on the beach, ride bikes and just take it easy. Not sure how much all the activities are. Really depends what you do. I think we paid $30-35 for a 2 hour kayak trip from the resort and really loved it.
We love HHI. Dh and I were there in early Oct and had a great time.
Try Skull Creek Boat house for dinner. Or for a nice night out, The Sage room. Both are fantastic. SKB would be less expensive but still fantastic.

We're used to being "on the go" all the time while on vacation & booked a water skiing / tubing combo for one of our days thru this place:

http://www.liveoac.com/watersports/watersports.html

It was our big splurge for the week (for example - a 2 hour custom adventure would run $269 and 3 hours would be $389 for up to 6 people - so the more of you that go the better the deal). The first morning we had it booked for it was storming and POURING DOWN RAIN so we managed to find a slot to get it rescheduled for a couple days later.

They also do dolphin tours and crabbing & fishing excursions. The dolphin tours are offered in 1 hr & 2 hr times & are priced per person @ $39 or $59 each. They also offer kayaking & stand-up paddleboarding which is also priced pp ($29 - $49 - $69 pp depending on length of trip). I don't remember how far out I booked our adventure but I did book it before we went down. You might check with them about availability if you decide to wait until you're there to book.

We went in 2009. We didn't do anything that costed extra $$...we just hung out on the beach and by the pool. If you want beach chairs to sit in...bring them, they are expensive to rent there. There was horseshoes right by our villa and the kids loved to play...they also have shuffleboard by the pool. We also spent some time at the Coligny plaza for shopping and drinks at the Frosty Frog (for us) and ice cream at the Frozen Moo (for the kids). We saw one of the Harry Potter movies one rainy day. And Wild Wing Cafe is a great place to eat if you like wings...they have many flavors and the prices are good. I guess we did do things that costed extra, just not resort activities.

Thanks for the great answers/tips! I do have a couple more questions. Does anyone know if they offer a trip/tour to Savannah and the cost, my daughter and her friends want to do that with us old folk? We do have a car but hubby and I would like to keep the car so we can do something we want to do.

Will the pool be open the week of May 21st? Is it heated? Can you rent cabanas? Sorry so many questions, I can't find much of HHI. :confused3

Thanks for the great answers/tips! I do have a couple more questions. Does anyone know if they offer a trip/tour to Savannah and the cost, my daughter and her friends want to do that with us old folk? We do have a car but hubby and I would like to keep the car so we can do something we want to do.

Will the pool be open the week of May 21st? Is it heated? Can you rent cabanas? Sorry so many questions, I can't find much of HHI. :confused3
There are tons of things to do in and around HH. Will you be there with them? I'd never go to HH without a car, just not feasible or cost effective. If you'll be there, arrange to do Savannah as a group with the car. Some resorts do offer special tours for Savannah, you might see if DVC HH has anything like that (I don't recall), if they don't, they should have a list of tour options. I'd rent a bike for the time you're there for at least 2 people. If you get it for 2 (and all 4 of you are there), you can alternate days. Consider Kayaking as mentioned or some type of dolphin excursion. HH is one of the best places in the world to eat out. The prices are very reasonable and they have a ton of great options. I'm not sure if the fireworks will be going by then at Shelter cover, I'm thinking they don't start until June. Golf is a biggie and there is a fair amount of shopping options.

Bicycling is very popular on the island. You can rent bikes at the resort for about $25.00 per bike for the week per person, I highly recommend this, my entire family enjoys riding to and on the beach.

The resort also has shuffleboard, basketball court, 2 pools and offers side excursions such as kayaking for about $35 p person. My kids love the kayaking....now take in to account my DD is 14 and DS is 18....

We have also gone crabbing, but it can be very hot out on those slowere "trawler" boats, so if you do this I would go first thing in the morning. I think we paid about $35.99 p pers for this too.

Disney's HHI resort and the island is my families favorite vacation destination... to the point we have even gone and looked into purchasing a condo, but the kids, have begged us not to as of now, becuase to them, it just wouldn't be the same to be on HHI without being at the Disney Resort.

Gotta say we trained them to be Disney nuts early....:thumbsup2

We love HH, spend most of our time at the beach, golfing, or riding bikes. There's also a lot of water activities (boating, kayaking, etc). Renting bikes is a must do too, there are bikes everywhere! We always do excursions with Outside Hilton Head, and rent bikes from Hilton Head Bikes To Go...they deliver for free right to your unit.

Last time we were there we stayed in building 18 which faced the harbor. It was Ok, but I liked facing the River/Creek better, think it might have been building 21, but not sure. Oh, there are also shopping outlets right off the island for rainy days. Have fun! :yay:

We were at HHI last week. We really enjoyed it. Our goal was to relax and not do much of anything, and we succeeded.. We were on the 2nd floor of building 27 overlooking the marsh. We were able to see different birds all day.

The pools are open year round and heated. No tours to Savannah were offered. Perhaps let your DD use your car and you could rent one for a couple of days for yourself. No cabanas for rent from Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter