• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

What speed film? 800 OK?

ABigKid

Earning My Ears
HI everyone.........just counting down and checking my packing list only to find that we haven't purchased our film yet for our little instamatic 35MM. Looks like we can get a great deal on 800 ASA and we were just wondering if anyone had any thoughts regarding if this is a good overall speed for day and night at DW? Thanks anyone for your reply. Zippidy doo dah

800 speed will be more than good enough for day AND night pictures! However, if you're flying to Orlando, I would suggest taking 400 asa instead, because some of the new hardcore x-ray machines in the airports may damage undeveloped film with speeds of 800 and higher (at least that's what the signs say). If you're not flying, then forget everything I just said. :)

Enjoy your trip! Wish I was leaving soon, too!

800 speed is great......I suggest a lead lined film bag that can be purchased in any camera store. they are about 25 dollars but last a long time. They will protect any and all film during airport x ray screening. I always use one and never had a problem all my photos are great!

be careful - 800 can be dodgy if you are going via the airport

I used 400 and 800 on our recent trip. 800 speed is a little fast for sunny outside weather but is great for night and indoor shots. I put all my film in my carry on bag and had no problems with either speed film. I had 10 rolls of film and none were damaged.

Here's my 2 cents. I think for bright Florida sunshine, 800 is way too fast. Also, if you are also planning on enlarging some prints, they will turn out grainy. I feel that 400 speed is a good compromise unless you are doing a lot of indoor shots without flash or nighttime shots. At night out doors, I have had very good results with 1000 speed film, but you better use a tripod unless you are rock steady! A lot of outdoor shots in bright sun - use 100 or 200 speed.

:D

for Disney vacations, I prefer to use 400 speed, just because its the most versatile. 200 works great for outdoor shots during the day, and 800 is handy for nighttime.

Theres a new Fuji film 800 speed that has 4 layer color that is to work in all conditions and it supposed to be the most versitile.....I bought 8 rolls of it for this trip, I'll let you know how they turn out.

I usually use 200 speed for outdoors during the day and have had good results.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter