What professions are ok to denigrate?

sam_gordon

DIS Veteran
OK, let's be honest. There are a couple of professions where it generally seems OK to disparage the entire profession. In other words, you NEVER hear what good they have accomplished, but if there's one example of something "bad", basically everyone in that profession is lumped in with them.What are they?

Lawyers
Journalists
Car (other?) sales folks
Politicians

I know there are bad apples in every profession, but think about it, when's the last time you've heard about something good from the above? I was going to mention Law Enforcement, but I think they generally do get at least some "good" pub, and most people seem to acknowledge that the bad apples don't reflect the entire profession.

OK, let's be honest. There are a couple of professions where it generally seems OK to disparage the entire profession. In other words, you NEVER hear what good they have accomplished, but if there's one example of something "bad", basically everyone in that profession is lumped in with them.What are they?

Lawyers
Journalists
Car (other?) sales folks
Politicians

I know there are bad apples in every profession, but think about it, when's the last time you've heard about something good from the above? I was going to mention Law Enforcement, but I think they generally do get at least some "good" pub, and most people seem to acknowledge that the bad apples don't reflect the entire profession.

Having worked in television news for many years I am appalled and sickened by the way people refer to "the media" and the way the profession has been turned upon. They are people....my friends. They are your neighbors. Every journalist and media professional I have known and worked with were good people who wanted to get information out to the people.

I have relatives who are lawyers and car salesmen.

The answer is, NO "profession" is ok to denigrate. Actions are. A blanket denigration of an entire people or profession is disgusting.

The answer is, NO "profession" is ok to denigrate. Actions are. A blanket denigration of an entire people or profession is disgusting.
Totally agree. Doesn't stop it from happening, which mean someone must think it's ok. And it happens almost daily right on this board, not just FB or other social media.

Having worked in television news for many years I am appalled and sickened by the way people refer to "the media" and the way the profession has been turned upon. They are people....my friends. They are your neighbors. Every journalist and media professional I have known and worked with were good people who wanted to get information out to the people.
45 years in the business here. Irritates me because often the offending "media" are some guy with a blog or a Twitter, Facebook or Instagram page that have no training and have never worked in Journalism.

Last edited:
My profession is meteorology, and I definitely see it:

"I wish I got paid to be wrong 50% of the time."

I don't really work much in the operational forecasting aspect of meteorology (air pollution/environmental science here), but I'm also a state worker. So I guess double whammy here as well!

And I agree with others, it is not ok to disparage a profession.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter