What nicer restaurants do you feel most comfortable at solo?

auntpolly

DIS Veteran
My last solo trip was 3 years ago and I was trying to remember what restaurants I felt the most comfortable at alone.

Which ones do you think lend themselves more to a solo diner.

I like Olivia - but I mostly stay at OKW - so that might be part of my enjoyment.

I would go where you would normally. Some restuarants are great for solo other aren't so great.

the restuarants in Germany and Japan have group seating. So if you have a problem talking to others these may help you.

I like to eat by myself. Of course, since I own DVC most of my meals are in my room.

In general, I have been most comfortable in resort restaurants at off-peak times. For one, it's more common for solo diners than at Park restaurants, and for another, the waitstaff is more attentive... in a crowded restaurant they often seem to think solo travelers can be left alone longer... or just get sidetracked by more demanding tables. Places that I find comfortable solo:

Kona Cafe
Concourse Steakhouse
Big River Brewing (Boardwalk, name approximate?)

Only restaurant I wouldn't do solo is Alfredo's in Italy. I went early to beat any lunch rush and felt like I was in a fish bowl. Because it wasn't busy, all the servers were lined up against the wall and I just felt like they were concentrating on every thing I did. I know they probably weren't, that's just how I felt. Also, my server just seemed a bit confused on how to deal with a solo customer.

My favorite places are:

MK - Cosmic Rays or grabbing a hot dog at Casey's and sitting on the curb

Epcot - Sunshine Season Food Fair
(that's the only other place in Epcot I've eaten)

MGM - Sci-Fi (My all time #1 fav!)

AK - I don't really like any restaurants there, solo or not

DTD - Wolfgang Puck Cafe

If I'm solo, I always go to Spoodles, Big River Brewery, Fultons Crab house and sit in the bar area and Brown Derby.
Have fun it's great going solo!!

My most comfortable solo dining spot is Chefs de France, as long as I got a window table (and I've always gotten one). Last time, I brought a book, but I put it away after about 2 minutes because people watching was so much more interesting. I even got to see the chair balancing act while I ate. Love it! I also enjoyed CRT lunch alone, but that was before it was a character lunch. I've only been to Sci-Fi with others so far, but it looks like a great spot for a solo diner to eat comfortably-I can't wait to try it on my next solo trip.

I did a solo meal at Jiko back in February. Dinner ended up lasting well over 2 hours because the friendly hostesses came over at seperate times to be friendly and chat. I felt very comfortable there.

I went solo in January and I ate at Marrakesh, Biergarten, Rainforest Cafe, Le Cellier, Rose & Crown, Sci-Fi, Mama Melrose,, House of Blues, and Crystal Palace for my sit down meals.

The only place I was uncomfortable was at the Biergarten. When they called my name, I walked in and was seated with a group of three men. Not wanting to be seem totally unfriendly I sat next to one. A few minutes later another group (also three men, but not with the first group) was seated on the other side of me. As the sole female at that table I don't know who was more uncomfortable me or them. Everytime one of them said a cuss word he'd get flustered and apologize and once one started what I guess was going to be an offcolor joke, when one of his friends elbowed him, then he got flustered and aplologized to me. It was really sort of funny. Anyway, I was just glad to get out of there and won't be going back solo.

Two of my favorite restaurants are Mama Melrose and Le Cellier. I have had fantastic service there both solo and with others.

I felt comfortable in The Brown Derby, Le Cellier, and Ohana's.

Hi...

I was wondering what makes the Sci-Fi at MGM ideal for a solo diner. I'm going to WDW in December and would love to eat there, but it always seemed that it might be awkward for solos considering the seating in the cars. Thanks for the input.

Chas

Sci-fi is great for a solo diner because it's like eating in a theater. You sit in the dark and watch movie trailers. You're in your own row, and have a lot of privacy.

Actually it's probably more awkward for a family or big group because they can't really talk or interact very easily.

aubriee said:
When they called my name, I walked in and was seated with a group of three men. Not wanting to be seem totally unfriendly I sat next to one. A few minutes later another group (also three men, but not with the first group) was seated on the other side of me.

I'm never lucky enough to get sat in the middle of a gaggle of guys, but that would be great. I guess it all depends on the type of person you are. I've always felt more at ease with guys than gals, so to me, I'd probably fit right in and wouldn't be uncomfortable. Now if they had sat me in the middle of a bunch of women - ugh!

auntpolly said:
Sci-fi is great for a solo diner because it's like eating in a theater. You sit in the dark and watch movie trailers. You're in your own row, and have a lot of privacy.

Actually it's probably more awkward for a family or big group because they can't really talk or interact very easily.

Sounds good! Thanks for the input. I'll definitely go this time.

I've also heard that the California Grill is a great place for a solo since you can sit at the counter. I'll be there during the times they will be having Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party. Do they also dim lights and pump the music into the restaurant for that fireworks show too?

Thanks!

Chas

I'm not as comfortable sitting at a counter. It's mostly a physical thing. The chairs at counters never seem as comfortable.

I was very comfortable at the Brown Derby. They seated me at a table for two in the upper level. I had a great view of the room and an attentive waiter. I also felt very comfortable at Chefs de France. I ate at about 1:30 PM and had a lovely table in the windowed area near the fountain. There were very few people in the room at that time. I also had a good time at Sci-Fi. They seated me in the front row of a car with the two rows behind me occupied by a group of adults. They were great. I took a picture for them. I had a nice meal and watched some funny movie stuff. I thought the food wasn't fantastic, but I'd definitely go back for the atmosphere.

There are very few places I have felt uncomfortable going solo--and I dine alone frequently. Bistro De Paris they seemed a little surprised, but were no less solicitous. The hostesses at Planet Hollywood were sort of negligent, but it was hard to tell whether that was because of the solo issue, or just because they were generally insolent. Fulton's and Marrakesh they seemed to have tendencies to forget about me, which may not have happened if I had been there with a larger party. They were particularly friendly at Tempura Kiku.

:mickeybar

Over my last two solo trips I have dined at Artists Pointe, California Grille, Concourse Steakhouse, Yachtsmans Steakhouse, Fresh, Alfredo's, Grand Floridian Cafe, ESPN Zone, Planet Hollywood, House of Blues and Shula's.

I have never felt uncomfortable or out of place. In fact, many times the server will spend a few extra minutes chit chatting with you, maybe making a few more recommendations, etc.

California Grille was the best for a solo experience. They asked if I wanted to sit one of the bars, I opted for a table and was seated right at the window with the most spectacular view. My server was wonderful, she would only allow me to order on course at a time and instisted at the end of my meal that I relax and enjoy the fireworks which were just beginning.

Some of my favorites are Kona, Boma, Olivia's, Mama Melrose, Spoodles and probably a bunch of others which I can't remember at the moment. If you feel a little worried about eating alone. Try a late lunch you may feel more at ease and the food will probably be a little bit cheaper.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter