What items have you lost on rides?

njchris

DIS Veteran
I'm always afraid I will lose my phone will snapping a pic (no flash!) on a ride. What items have any of you lost/dropped while on a ride? Did you get it back?

Funny you should ask!

Our family enjoys planning and posing for the ride pics. One time on Space Mountain, my sons wanted me to pretend their friend was in the open seat next to me by holding a picture of him on their iPhone. So as we approached the picture point I lifted the phone up to do so and just completely bungled it and essentially tossed it over the side.

After getting off the ride, I had to explain to my son I had just dropped his phone on Space Mountain but that I knew where it had dropped. We went on again and sure enough, we could see it on the the ground but there was no way we could reach it. My son had disabled the screen going to sleep automatically for the pic so we could see the light coming from the edges.

We asked an attendant if anything could be done and were told they would probably end up picking it up at the end of the night but that there was nothing could do now. We came back during close but were again told we would just need to check with Lost and Found the next day.

Thankfully we were planning to attend the next day and sure enough, the phone was there.

My family still makes fun of me. Often one of my children or my wife will ask me before we get on Space Mountain if I would like their phone so I can chuck it and get the full ride experience.

Ohhhhhhh yes, and what an embarrassment. I'm usually really diligent about my backpack purse and making sure it's secure, but once on Goofy's (actually, whatever it was called before that), I somehow managed to lose it out of the car as it jerked around a turn. The ride operators immediately shut down the ride, made everyone get off one by one, and I had to make the walk of shame out under the scaffolding to retrieve it. It took quite a long time to do all of that and I was NOT a popular person. I've been super, super careful not to be in that position again!!

Last summer, I had a pair of ears go flying off on Rise of the Resistance. I had forgot that they were still on and the CM did not remind to remove ears. In the cannon room when you go forward and back, they flew off my head and landed on the back of the car and as I went to grab, the ride went flying forward and the ears off the back of the ride. I told the ride attendants when I came off and was told to file a report with Guest Services. Did not seem worried that they might now be in the path of the trackless cars (I was though).

I filed the report with Guest Services and after a few days it was closed. About a month later, I found the same ears I lost in a store so I bought them to replace my pair. And then another month later, I got an email that my ears were found. Since I was leaving for WDW the next day, I asked them to be mailed to my home. Package arrived while I was out of town and was just in my pile of mail when I got home. Opened the package - I can 100% tell you they were not my ears... Mine were the red sequin headband ones with the red bow on them. These had the black sequin headband with a red bow.... So now I still wonder who these ears might have belonged to?!?!?!

I've left sunglasses in the little pouch on Space Mountain... for sure once but I think twice. I didn't bother to try and get them back since they were cheapies anyway.

I did have a small wallet fall out of my pocket on the Matterhorn during a special event (so the park wasn't super busy). I noticed right after I exited the ride area and I went back quickly. They actually let me wait in the unload area and check the ride vehicles as they returned after people got out. I got lucky and it was there in the bottom of the 3rd or 4th returning bobsled I checked.

After 36 years of park-going and no lost items on rides, I lost a hat on Space Mountain in August. I don't usually wear hats, but my head and face were getting burnt from being in DCA the entire day before, so I bought that hat with the "Here you leave today..." sign on it to protect my head. And then IMMEDIATELY lost it on Space Mountain which was my first ride of the day. I know they always warn you on BTM to remove hats and such, but they do not warn you on Space Mountain! (But, really, I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER.)

Anyway, I know I could have and should have tried to get it back, but my life is chaotic and I am forgetful and kept forgetting to do it before it definitely became too late to get it back. I was just so embarrassed. I'm a seasoned park-goer, but an inexperienced hat-wearer, and those two things met and turned into a real dumb moment for me.

Also, not a ride, but when I was 12 and on a middle school band trip, I set my camera down in Adventureland Bazaar and walked away. When I went to get it at Lost & Found later, they basically gave me the third degree about every detail of that camera and they even exposed my film (remember film?), so while I did get the camera back, I had no pictures.

Last edited:
Lost a camera lens cap in the Haunted Mansion and the CM told me come back at park closing to walk the track for it with the lights on. Was super pumped to come back a few hours later and walk the ride. Weirdly enough, the ride is definitely freakier with the lights on lol. I found the lens cap at the hallway scene and I'll always have that vision in my head lol

Lost a camera lens cap in the Haunted Mansion and the CM told me come back at park closing to walk the track for it with the lights on. Was super pumped to come back a few hours later and walk the ride. Weirdly enough, the ride is definitely freakier with the lights on lol. I found the lens cap at the hallway scene and I'll always have that vision in my head lol
Now that's cool. I'm surprised they let you do it, though!

Now that's cool. I'm surprised they let you do it, though!

Yeah it definitely was cool! I did have a CM walking with me with a flashlight to check under buggies and what not. Cool experience for sure!

Sunglasses and DH is great for leaving a hat behind everywhere he goes.

My brother lost his Peter Pan hat on the Haunted Mansion and I lost my earrings on Everest. My dad lost his eyeglasses on Space Mountain.

Left my old, cool Mickey hat in the pouch on the Matterhorn. :sad:
Went back later and I was able to look in a bunch of bobsleds, but no luck. :sad: :sad:

I lost a contact lense on Space Mountain. Thankfully the crew was able to divert the car and I was able to find it fairly quickly once we got off.

Didn’t listen to the announcement about securing bags on our first ever ride on Dinosaur and my bag flew off with all my money and credit cards. I had to beg them to find it afterwards and they shut the ride down for about 5 minutes and my bag was destroyed but my wallet luckily survived. 646809

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter