What is your advice to find best airfare? (Yikes!)

Mrs~Incredible

Mouseketeer
we have been flying phila to Orlando (5 times in the last 6 years) and I am positively stocker shocked at this year’s prices.

I know SW releases their airfares for the next batch of calendar dates on May 30.

Should I try to book the moment it is released? Wait a few days? Any tips?

Last year I noticed the price was higher when it was first released and then dropped a few days later.

So confused.

Thanks!!

This year I booked EWR-MCO in late August for a Memorial Day week trip on SW. It was $95 pp one way for a long time. I was going back and forth on which day to leave: Memorial Day was really expensive, then I wanted to leave the Sunday before but I liked the Saturday times better.

Then I waited a few months and booked MCO-EWR in early February (because I didn't like the SW times) on United at $134 pp. I try to get around $200pp for EWR-MCO round trip, but I consider anything under $300 pp to be a decent price.

I did the same thing for another future vacation: booked a different airline each way because it was cheaper (United and Jet Blue). On this trip, I took the cheaper (earlier) flight out even though I wanted the later one, but the earlier one ended up being cancelled so I got transferred to the later one anyway.

This year I booked EWR-MCO in late August for a Memorial Day week trip on SW. It was $95 pp one way for a long time. I was going back and forth on which day to leave: Memorial Day was really expensive, then I wanted to leave the Sunday before but I liked the Saturday times better.

Then I waited a few months and booked MCO-EWR in early February (because I didn't like the SW times) on United at $134 pp. I try to get around $200pp for EWR-MCO round trip, but I consider anything under $300 pp to be a decent price.

I did the same thing for another future vacation: booked a different airline each way because it was cheaper (United and Jet Blue). On this trip, I took the cheaper (earlier) flight out even though I wanted the later one, but the earlier one ended up being cancelled so I got transferred to the later one anyway.
Good thought. I’ve never actually booked with 2 different airlines for way down/way back, but I may need to this time!

Should I try to book the moment it is released?

We fly Buffalo to MCO and we always book the moment flights are released. We just booked for October when the flights were recently released, within minutes of them appearing on the site. Our prices were ok, but when we checked later in the day they had spiked quite a bit in price. The Wanna Get Away fares for the flights we chose are now sold out, less than two weeks later. This hasn't always been my experience, but IMO, its easier to swallow it if you book early and then have to take a credit if the price drops as opposed to paying way more than the prices you saw originally and didn't jump on.

air prices are generally 2 times higher this year compared to last year. Search for answers no real 1 found anywhere online just speculation. But business sites all said indications from airlines is that ticket prices will stay high and wil probably go up.
Ticket prices for GRB to MCO 2017 Delta main cabin $346 United $481 This year Delta $719 and United $843
Interesting is that 1st class with Delta this year is $927 and when you apply for Delta credit card you get $200 discount.

Tuesday to Tuesday around 4th of July was under $250 pp a few days ago on American, PHL to MCO. I wished I was ready to book a vacation when I saw that price.

We've gotten cheaper airfare at other times of the year, but for summer, I've typically booked in late March and paid in the ballpark of $250 pp.

Southwest was not as cheap and I didn't like the flight times.

air prices are generally 2 times higher this year compared to last year. Search for answers no real 1 found anywhere online just speculation. But business sites all said indications from airlines is that ticket prices will stay high and wil probably go up.
Ticket prices for GRB to MCO 2017 Delta main cabin $346 United $481 This year Delta $719 and United $843
Interesting is that 1st class with Delta this year is $927 and when you apply for Delta credit card you get $200 discount.

IMO it depends on the level of competition and if you are able/willing to fly the discount airlines

that is not the case out of PIT/MCO on SWA. Paying just slightly more for time periods we typically book thus far this year when booking on the release date. I have Oct travel that was triple the price I paid last week. It’s adjusted a bit but still more than double.

Will say that Spirit has really produced low fares for several flights over last 6 months, but they were of the last minute/1 - 2 month prior sales.

Do agree that the NS options have lessened & the flight times, especially the first AM one is crazy early.

We fly from PHL to MCO too and sometimes we fly Spirit out of AC to MCO too. The last 2 years we flew with Southwest, and we made sure to book as soon as flights released and thankfully we did because when I checked our flights after purchasing, they almost immediately increased and kept increasing. I know sometimes they can decrease some and you can get the credit, but for me it is just peace of mind when booking right away. We also like non-stop flights and it seems that SW doesn't have as many as they used to, so we like to book before they sell out. This year, if Spirit is cheaper, we will go with them. They are much cheaper right now for end of Oct to Nov 3rd when I was just checking to see prices. We are going Nov 10th, so we are still waiting for flights to be released. I like how SW gives you their release dates, whereas Spirit just says "in the near future".

We fly from PHL to MCO too and sometimes we fly Spirit out of AC to MCO too. The last 2 years we flew with Southwest, and we made sure to book as soon as flights released and thankfully we did because when I checked our flights after purchasing, they almost immediately increased and kept increasing. I know sometimes they can decrease some and you can get the credit, but for me it is just peace of mind when booking right away. We also like non-stop flights and it seems that SW doesn't have as many as they used to, so we like to book before they sell out. This year, if Spirit is cheaper, we will go with them. They are much cheaper right now for end of Oct to Nov 3rd when I was just checking to see prices. We are going Nov 10th, so we are still waiting for flights to be released. I like how SW gives you their release dates, whereas Spirit just says "in the near future".
Agreed! We are flying out of Philly area on Nov 9. Do you know what time of day SW usually releases the new dates?

we have been flying phila to Orlando (5 times in the last 6 years) and I am positively stocker shocked at this year’s prices.

I know SW releases their airfares for the next batch of calendar dates on May 30.

Last year I noticed the price was higher when it was first released and then dropped a few days later.

So confused.

Thanks!!

I also fly PHL to MCO but during the summer. I stopped flying SW a few years ago when Frontier airlines came to PHL. SW prices are ridiculous now compared to what I used to pay. The most I ever paid SW was $120 one way and I almost cried. I was used to them being well under $100 and sometimes even in the $60 and $70 range. One year, I got United airline special for $59 one-way from PHL to IAD(Washington, DC)....then IAD to MCO. We left at 5am but for $59 and 1 stop we didnt care. That year SW prices were too expensive going down, but we managed to get a SW flight coming back for under $100. So yes its ok to not have to use the same airline each way. I know its a hard habit to break but you really should consider using other airlines besides SW. I understand the "bags fly free" concept, but with the airfare and sometimes adding in EarlyBird Check-in, you may want to reconsider if SW is really less expensive. Especially if you are flying from PHL and you are only carrying one bag per person.

I also fly PHL to MCO but during the summer. I stopped flying SW a few years ago when Frontier airlines came to PHL. SW prices are ridiculous now compared to what I used to pay. The most I ever paid SW was $120 one way and I almost cried. I was used to them being well under $100 and sometimes even in the $60 and $70 range. One year, I got United airline special for $59 one-way from PHL to IAD(Washington, DC)....then IAD to MCO. We left at 5am but for $59 and 1 stop we didnt care. That year SW prices were too expensive going down, but we managed to get a SW flight coming back for under $100. So yes its ok to not have to use the same airline each way. I know its a hard habit to break but you really should consider using other airlines besides SW. I understand the "bags fly free" concept, but with the airfare and sometimes adding in EarlyBird Check-in, you may want to reconsider if SW is really less expensive. Especially if you are flying from PHL and you are only carrying one bag per person.
Good advice! Thanks!

We always fly SW bc they usually are the best price. We've found this year it is A LOT more than usual. We always book the morning they release their flights. We usually fly to F & W in October for Columbus Day weekend. We're not going now bc I refuse to pay those prices for just a long weekend. I'm so bummed!!

So confused.

Thanks!!

Not sure where you live, but we are in South Jersey, and also usually fly PHL - MCO on SW, and have been increasingly discouraged with prices and lack of nonstops. In early Nov. DD and I flew out of BWI instead - saved at least $50/pp on way down and got down earlier in the evening, and on way back we could have paid less to fly back to Philly on the Friday for a good rate, but would have had to leave earlier in the day, and were already on a short trip. Instead we were able to fly back late Sat nt from BWI, getting another full day in, which would have been cost prohibitive from PHL(about $50 more/pp, plus extra hotel nt., and would have had to leave earlier in the day, so not worth it). DH and DS also flew out of there to CA last summer for college visits for same reason. Also advised friends who also ended up going out of there at Christmas, again for better times and prices.

They are a hub for SW, so many more NS for choice of times, and more competitive rates. It is a very easy airport to navigate, and not a bad drive if you can avoid major traffic times. We dropped DH and DS off, and they flew back into Philly, and DD and I used the Parking Spot there for our trip which was very convenient and reasonable with coupon on site. BTW, we did not book till month or two before, since trip dates were in flux due to school schedule for DD, so can't speak to rates at open.

Not sure where you live, but we are in South Jersey, and also usually fly PHL - MCO on SW, and have been increasingly discouraged with prices and lack of nonstops. In early Nov. DD and I flew out of BWI instead - saved at least $50/pp on way down and got down earlier in the evening, and on way back we could have paid less to fly back to Philly on the Friday for a good rate, but would have had to leave earlier in the day, and were already on a short trip. Instead we were able to fly back late Sat nt from BWI, getting another full day in, which would have been cost prohibitive from PHL(about $50 more/pp, plus extra hotel nt., and would have had to leave earlier in the day, so not worth it). DH and DS also flew out of there to CA last summer for college visits for same reason. Also advised friends who also ended up going out of there at Christmas, again for better times and prices.

They are a hub for SW, so many more NS for choice of times, and more competitive rates. It is a very easy airport to navigate, and not a bad drive if you can avoid major traffic times. We dropped DH and DS off, and they flew back into Philly, and DD and I used the Parking Spot there for our trip which was very convenient and reasonable with coupon on site. BTW, we did not book till month or two before, since trip dates were in flux due to school schedule for DD, so can't speak to rates at open.
Thanks for the info- I’ve been thinking about giving BWI a try!! Appreciate it :)

Airfare in my area has consistently been between $450-$495 rt per person, to CA or FL.

We booked Frontier for our upcoming trip. Budget airline, paid $50 for checked bag x2, and $12 extra each way pp to select seats. Fare was only $170 rt so worth it. Pro/con -- service only on certain days so we have to stay two extra days.

Airfare in my area has consistently been between $450-$495 rt per person, to CA or FL.

We booked Frontier for our upcoming trip. Budget airline, paid $50 for checked bag x2, and $12 extra each way pp to select seats. Fare was only $170 rt so worth it. Pro/con -- service only on certain days so we have to stay two extra days.
“Having” to Stay 2 extra days is my kind of logic!! ;-)

This JUST happened to me. JetBlue; I booked the first day the dates were available. Looked yesterday because now my GF may be available to join me in September. $65 less R/T now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter