What is the effect of DDP for DVC owners?

DVC Grandpa

DVC Member
It has been two years since we have gone to WDW during the Choice/Magic season (Thanksgiving). What a surprise today when we called for reservations at some of the more popular spots like Le Cellier, Hoop-Dee-Doo, and Chef Mickey’s character breakfast and found that everything was booked for the week or that a few times slots, late in the evening, were available. We have gone time after time and have always had a fair selection of times to select from. Not this year! The only thing I can think has changed is “free dining” vacation packages or Disney Dining Program purchased on its own. I don’t think that the “free dining” vacation packages is currently available for November so that means it’s the purchase of the “plan”.

Has any other DVC owner experienced the same problem? Does anyone know if a percent of availability is allocated to those on the “plan” and that some percentage is allocated to those who did not see fit to purchase the DDP ? Do they ask for a credit card to hold the reservation so that a financial consequence hopefully detours the making of multiple reservation for the same day? One would hope so, especially over crowded seasons.

Yep, it requires WAY more planning ahead than we like to do, since we are quite spontaneous people. We have found some luck by doing very early times.

If anything, booking DVC @ 11 month window (about as non-spontaneous as i get;) ) forces me to select a restaurant & make an ADR. Even for next week I was able to switch some things around a couple of weeks ago.:thumbsup2 I plan on calling up to the day we leave to check for a cancellation or two.

I can only think of CA Grill, CRT & Fantasmic Pkgs having cancellation policies.

Being that we were totally clueless about booking waaaaay in advance, I guess we were lucky to get HDDR for Thanksgiving night about 2 months out.

I called at about 170 days for our ADR's for the Thanksgiving trip(mostly DTD resturants) and got the times we wanted.

Though I did notice in May, while checking in at the various resturants, that they would ask if you are on the DDP. Then the server would ask again about the DDP. So I don't think the computer system knows if you are a DDP'er or not when making ADR's.

We've done DDP for 3 years now. In the beginning, I made ADRs at Concierge when I arrived (and managed to get dinner at CRT). Now, I make my ADRs well in advance. DDP has absolutely increased the number of people eating in TS restaurants - and once the most popular spots fill up (as they did before DDP - although not as early), there is a large pool of people with prepaid meals of almost 40$ a day that turn and fill up the restaurants that used stay half-full and were easy to walk-in. This re-direction of pre-paid guests to second and third tier restaurants has to be great for Disney's bottom line.

I would say that ADRs for the popular spots need to be made as close to 190-180 days in advance for travel during peak dates. I have had no trouble getting the reservations I want (including Le Cellier) 45-60 days in advance for travel during less popular times. I've also been able to walk-in to places for late lunches. I would guess that reservations during free dining need to be made as early as possible - I know lots of people reported making ADRs @ 180 days just in anticipation of free dining this year.

We ate at Le Cellier a week ago, with a 5 PM ressie. I got there a bit early, and a few parties who walked up around 4:45 without ressies did get seated. Anyway, yesterday I realized that I hadn't made any ADR's for our September trip, a big mistake because we're going to be there during free dining. We're with my DCuz, and I only wanted 1 ressie, either at LeCellier (none available for the short trip, 3 nights, not for lunch or dinner) but also none available at Liberty Tree Tavern I only tried dinner for that one. At the Crystal Palace, I was able to get a 3:40 dinner :goodvibes . The other time available there was 8:40. Wow, I was so happy to get something!!!!

So, then I think that we really like Le Cellier and I hadn't made anything for our December trip, 4 nights. There was nothing available for our first 3 nights, but was lucky for Dec. 11th, 7:10. I imagine they are saving some times for the Candlelight Processional.

Yes, the DDP, and the free dining have made my getting a dinner time much harder!

Bobbi:goodvibes

We usually go in June and usually make our ADRs a few weeks to 6 weeks in advance. This year, I started making them at about 100 days out, due to reading posts on this board about difficulty obtaining certain places. I found it nearly impossible to get LeCellier, but was able to change my plans around a little and get it on a different night at 8:20 and our party of 5 was reserved for a table for 3 and a table for 2. In actuality, when we arrived we were seated together, but the dining people wouldn't promise me that. I also had to take the Coral Reef at like 4:30 or something in order to get it for the day I wanted. So, I learned that 100 days out isn't necessarily enough notice to get some restaurants. We usually wait until park hours are posted before deciding which parks to go to on what day - and thus needing that information before booking our ADRs, but I guess times are changing!

More competition for select restaurants at select times. Lower quality dining overall with substitutions that aim to reduce Disney's costs. Less choice as the menus have been significantly reduced in some restaurants.

This is partly why we prefer the DDE card versus the DDP. More flexibility, yet a nice discount.

This is partly why we prefer the DDE card versus the DDP. More flexibility, yet a nice discount.

How does the DDE card offer more flexibility? Both DDE and DDP can be used at most restaurants or is there only a percentage of DDP reservations offered at each restaurants leaving availability DDE and “cash” patrons?

:confused3

LeCellier is very popular as you all know. My DW loves it. We are going there twice in December. I too was late in making my September dinner reservations. Conclusion - no LeCellier for that trip.

DVC Grandpa, we have the DDE and when you make ADR's they do not ask if your are going to pay with cash, DDP or use the DDE discount. I think the DDE card gives you more options over at DTD.

I think it's every person for themselves when calling to get ADR's, cash guest vs. DVC owner.

LeCellier is very popular as you all know. My DW loves it. We are going there twice in December. I too was late in making my September dinner reservations. Conclusion - no LeCellier for that trip.
I hope you already have your Le Cellier ADRs! December ADRs at many Epcot restaurants are very difficult because of the Candellight Processional packages.

A couple of years ago, we were unsuccessful at getting an ADR at LC and tried again once we got to WDW. No luck. We tried just walking up, and were told they were so overbooked they were not even accepting waitlist names.

To OP's question, no question that DDP has changed the landscape of Disney Dining. I think the popularity of DDP has made planning and booking early virtually a requirement. You really do need to make ADRs well in advance, and be flexible about dates and times. We like to eat later -- around or after 8 PM -- and we still have some difficulties with certain restaurants.

If you're going during Free DDP times, you'd better make ADRs at 180 days. If you wait, you may not get anything popular. The DDP board is currently full of people complaining that they can't get what they want -- as in no TS availability at MK for any meal (day or night) during their trip.

How does the DDE card offer more flexibility? Both DDE and DDP can be used at most restaurants or is there only a percentage of DDP reservations offered at each restaurants leaving availability DDE and “cash” patrons?

:confused3
I don't believe availability is restricted for DDP. They only make a percentage of the availability open for +10 ADRs, and I'm sure they block off large numbers of tables for CP packages, but neither of those have anything to do with how you pay for the meal.

Actually, they have no way of knowing how you will pay for the meal. They often ask if you will be on DDP, but many people (especially DVC members) don't make that decision until shortly before their trip.

And, of course, nobody has to tell them whether they're using DDP or not. They may ask, but the only person who really needs to know that is the server.

More competition for select restaurants at select times. Lower quality dining overall with substitutions that aim to reduce Disney's costs. Less choice as the menus have been significantly reduced in some restaurants.
::yes::

I've eaten at WDW forever, and used the DDP since its inception, and we've found the most significant declines in quality at the "hottest" restaurants - like CRT, Sci Fi, and O'hana - places that are gimicky enough that they are going to stay booked solid no matter what the food is like. The other restaurants seem to have stayed pretty stable - and a few - like Coral Reef - actually seemed to be improving on this last trip.

All in all, dining is just not as enjoyable as it once was - but the DDP seems like a necessary evil - because I figure that it works out to about 8$ for CS and 30$ for TS (60$ for signature TS) per person and I can honestly say that I have not eaten a single meal at Disney that I felt was of a quality to justify spending any more than that.

If I just paid w/DDE, once I figured in the tip, I'd figure that I'd pay close to the same amount without dessert/drinks/appetizer and the food just is not good enough for me to feel good about the prices. I've got a family with 3 "adults" and 1 "child" when it comes to dining. Our TS meal at Shutters @ VB was over 90$ including the tip (with DDE) - that was for 1 child's meal, 3 adult entrees, and one shared dessert. It was not good enough to justify anywhere near the $$ it cost. If I could have used DDP, we'd have all gotten drinks, appetizers, desserts and full lunches for not a whole lot more $$, and I would have felt like I got a closer to what I paid for. :headache:

I made Ressie's for our 11/8 - 11/13 trip at about 175 days out. I was shocked to have little flexibility for the time of the ressie. Of course this is for a party of 13,
We have ressie's at:
Liberty Tree Tavern
1900 Park Fare
Le Cellier
Ohana's (dinner)
Whispering Canyon
Cannot wait!!!

When I was making my ADR's, I was asked if I was on the DDP. I told them that I intended on doing it, but had not added that to my reservation yet. I asked the gentleman on the phone if it made a difference in getting my ADR if I was on the plan and he replied that they only ask to determine how much time to estimate to allow for my reservation. I don't know if they think people eating 3 courses will use more time or less time than people not tied into the DDP.

I would make ADRs for the more popular days OR if you have to eat at this place or at this time and for groups over 4.... I had no problem in December and September eating maybe a a wait but most of the time it was only a few minutes and I did use the DDP once.. I do not like the DDP for several reasons ... I like to eat when I am hungry, what I feel like eating on that day, and I wnat to eat what I feel like eating and not feel ripped off if I do not order dessert or...
I think the food quailty, selction and service is suffering... some of this will cahnge as the price goes up and they no longer offer it for free I think it is in a promotional pahse right now....
On th flip sied the lines are shorter durning popular meal times as people spend a lot more time eating

While only about 30% of all guests are purchasing the DDP, the fact that restaurants are booked in advance can not be totally blamed on the DDP.

Disney resorts are booked solid this year due to the Dreams Promotion. Occupancy is the highest it has been in years. Many people now realize to book dining in advance in do so.

You may have simply picked a very busy time to go due to the Food and Wine Festival.

We are going the last of July and first of August and I was able to get Le Cellier this week.

Keep calling cancellations do come up.

Many people double book and then cancel when they make their mind what they are doing. We have also been able to get reservations as late as the week before.

As to the DDP affecting food quality and service is strickly opinion, no fact that it is the cause and it is opinion as to whether the change has even occurred.

We found our meals and service using the plan to be great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter