What is Altered Paper clip swap?

missesdisney

DIS Veteran
Looking on the calendar at some swaps - and for the life of me I can't figure out what the Altered Paper clip swap could be? Someone help???

While I'm asking....if making slide mounts with a sizzix or cricut, would they need to be thicker than just the sheets of paper? Like a real slide mount? Seem kind of flimsy that way and I can't figure out how to make them sturdier.

Thanks!

I think it's a paper clip with something on it, lol. When am I hosting that???

I will post a few sample ideas when I post the sign up thread. Anyway, you can use flowers, die-cuts, beads, charms...anything you can think of!

yes! I think the little ones are too... little. :lmao:
And they must be metal - not plastic coated, the plastic isn't safe.

Cool! Ok everyone since we are using the jumbo ones you can buy the gold ones at Staples and the silver ones at Walmart.

Looking on the calendar at some swaps - and for the life of me I can't figure out what the Altered Paper clip swap could be? Someone help???

While I'm asking....if making slide mounts with a sizzix or cricut, would they need to be thicker than just the sheets of paper? Like a real slide mount? Seem kind of flimsy that way and I can't figure out how to make them sturdier.

Thanks!

I'm glad you asked this...I was wondering about this too. ;) Some of these ladies will alter anything!! :lmao: :lmao: It just cracks me up!

I'm not sure I want to get sucked into this one though...I can just imagine DH looking at me altering paper clips. :rolleyes1 He'll think I've lost my mind!! :eek: He's already suspicious because I spend so much time playing with paper. :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

As for the slide mounts...in past swaps I've gotten both types: real ones (plastic and cardboard) that have been altered and Sizzix ones. They don't need to be sturdy since you're not "using them" - just sticking them on a page. (Although I'm not sure about making them out of paper...I always use cardstock.)

I did some for the MK swap for Attractions: Group C. You're in that group so you can check them out when you get your stuff back. This time I used Bazzill for most of my swap elements. That's heavier than "regular" cardstock, but this is the first time I'm using it. I generally make mine to be "decorations" rather than as a way to highlight something on the page. What I mean is that the hole gets covered somewhat, so it wouldn't be used to "frame" something.

Oh - and this isn't what you're talking about, but I've also used the Sizzix slide mount diecuts to make shaker boxes.

Could we use the giant Sizzix paper clip die and use Bazzill or chipboard?

Does this mean any paperclips I've received in swaps are not safe? A few of them (e.g. the monthly swap) have had a paperclip or two in them, and at the moment they are in with my brads etc. til I work out what to do with them. But if they're "dangerous" :scared: I'll have to think again

I sent the paper clips with coating because I didn't know they weren't save.. so I apologize. I have seem them around other layouts so I thought they were safe... I guess I probably should make some new ones to ship out to everyone... Lesson learned!!!

As for the Slide Mount swap.
It's up to the participants choice on whether she/he would like to use a store bought slide mount and alter and embellish it or make one from the sizzix/cricut to alter and embellish. Personally, I like to have the mount cut out of cardstock and if using a patterned paper it adhered on top... but as I have said, it's up to the participant making it on how it will be done..
Here is the link from the last one I hosted earlier this year.
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/Albu...923&a=32499323

I'm going to host the Holiday slide mount about the same way. Since their are a ton of holidays I need to figure the break down alot better.

As long as the paper clip isn't touching any photos, I think it should be okay. I know I used them on a tag and I'm pretty sure a file folder or two. I also used them on the address swap, but that one doesn't go near photos so I'm not worried.

PN96 more than one person sent some (but I'm only up to March in my 2007 album at the moment:rotfl2: ), I'm sure I can use them somewhere, even if its only for sorting papers:goodvibes

How do you fix photo turns BTW - put a brad through the hole?

Can't wait for this one. Have you seen how much ready made ones are at Mike's & JoAnnes?

As for the Slide Mount swap.
It's up to the participants choice on whether she/he would like to use a store bought slide mount and alter and embellish it or make one from the sizzix/cricut to alter and embellish. Personally, I like to have the mount cut out of cardstock and if using a patterned paper it adhered on top... but as I have said, it's up to the participant making it on how it will be done..

Oops! I hope I didn't say the wrong thing! :eeek: I didn't realize that there was a whole swap devoted to slide mounts or I wouldn't have answered!! I thought MissesDisney was referring to just generic swaps like the MK swap.

Sorry if I conveyed misleading information! Hangs her head in shame...:scared:

Oops! I hope I didn't say the wrong thing! :eeek: I didn't realize that there was a whole swap devoted to slide mounts or I wouldn't have answered!! I thought MissesDisney was referring to just generic swaps like the MK swap.

I was actually looking for general information, although the other swap I'm currently in doesn't have slide mounts as an element so it doesn't matter yet - I'm a planner....

But I may have to check out the slide mount swap too.....

You can pick up your head - no worries!:banana:

So are you just decorating around these big paperclips or are you unbending them and turning them into stuff or both? I'm intrigued and confused (wouldn't be the first time).

Thanks!

Actually you just take a jumbo paperclip and stick stuff to it and decorate it! If you go to 2peas and type in altered paperclip, you will get some results and get a good general idea of what it is.

No Piratesmate!!! Pick you head up.. You told her the right thing....
I was just letting her know how I handled it with our last round of the slide mount only swap...

Personally, I don't think there is a real wrong way to make them...I think it's great to get a variety...because with variety comes new inspirations!!!! ;)

No Piratesmate!!! Pick you head up.. You told her the right thing....
I was just letting her know how I handled it with our last round of the slide mount only swap...

Personally, I don't think there is a real wrong way to make them...I think it's great to get a variety...because with variety comes new inspirations!!!! ;)

Right!!!! CREATIVITY is the key here!!!!! We love Creativity!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter