What is AAA's problem?!?

Abra Cat

DIS Veteran
I've been trying to get a quote from AAA on a package trip for December. I already have room-only with a AAA discount reservation that I made with CRO (or whatever it's called now), but the dining plan sounds interesting, so I'm considering changing to Magic Your Way Plus Dining. First I called my local AAA office, and they took my name, phone number, and dates, and said someone would call me back soon. A week later... still no phone call, so I called back and was told that because my trip's not until December, they're helping people whose trips are coming up before mine. I said that was fine, but I wasn't told that the first time, and had been given the impression that I'd be getting a call back that same day or the next. So the woman I was talking to said she'd make sure someone called me back the next day, but I actually wound up getting called that same day. I told the agent who called what I wanted (6 nights at AKL, savanna view, 4 day park hoppers, 6 days dining), and she was very confused. I had to repeat it several times before she understood what I wanted, but I figured I'd hope for the best. She said she'd probably call back the next day. This was last Monday, and you guessed it-- she still hasn't called back! :confused3 So I emailed a TA I'd used on a previous trip, but she said they couldn't book AAA packages. Fine, that's not her fault. So yesterday I requested a quote on AAA's website, and received a quote by email last night. The quote was for $3873.98-- $900 more than CRO and my other TA quoted me for the same package, WITHOUT AAA!!! :earseek: I emailed back pointing out that the AAA rate was more than rack rate, and asked for an itemization, but I haven't received a reply yet. At this point, I'm considering either skipping the package or booking it with my TA and losing the AAA discount entirely, rather than book with AAA and letting those dolts screw up my trip!

Hmmm...giving this another try, the post I just typed just disappeared :badpc:

Did you try going to the local office in person? When I decided to go with AAA this time, I e-mailed for a quote...and still didn't get a reply :sad2: Impatient gal that I am, I decided to just swing by the local AAA office, and the TA sat me right down, heard what I wanted, called Disney, got the quote directly from them (room/tickets/dining), she didn't tell me anything that she didn't get directly from Disney. Prior to going in, I called CRO to see what the room rate was (CRO told me that for a moderate, beginning of December, it was $119.xx pernight, tax already added in). The rate the TA was given when she called was the same.

If you are getting a quote way higher than from Disney directly, there's a problem, because like I said, the TA called Disney directly, she didn't do any figuring on her own. Disney also faxed her the confirmation, and she made a copy for me before I left. Yesterday I got the receipt for my deposit on the rooms (ours, and my mothers), and the TA has been pretty helpful. She isn't a Disney expert, but I don't think that matters all that much, because she is getting everything directly from Disney, not going it on her own.

I would try going in person if it isn't too much of a hassle.

Well I too have tried to book using our AAA agents here in my home town..while she certainly got back to me more quickly there was really no discount to speak of. When I broke it down our room rate for standard room at AKL was as much as a Savana view. I finally figured I don't have the time or patience to deal with it right now so I am just keeping my AAA room rate for December.

I had considered dropping in at my local office, but my kids just got out of school yesterday, so I'd have to drag them along with me. I still might run over there when my husband gets home from work and can watch them. Anyway, I actually received a corrected quote this morning for $3081.88 (apparently she counted my 2 year old as a person, but I don't know how that worked out to a $900 difference!), but I'm still not sure that seems right. Anyone care to help me do the math?

My current room-only AAA rate is $1592 (includes tax) for 6 nights at AKL with a savanna view

The dining plan for 6 days for 2 adults and 2 children (my 2 year old is free) would be $540 (does that include tax, by the way?)

4 day park hoppers (w/ 14 day expiration) for 2 adults and 2 children would be $858.40 (that's regular ticket price-- I'm sure we'd be saving $20-30 with a AAA discount on tickets)

Total for these three items is $2990.40-- so why is AAA's rate $3081.88? Am I missing something?

Thanks!

I've heard that some AAA agents are quoting the "premium" packages not just the regular MYW dining plan along with non-expiring hopper tickets regardless of what you ask about.

Also, AAA automatically adds in trip insurance, so you need to ask them to take that off so you can compare rates.

pjupton said:
I've heard that some AAA agents are quoting the "premium" packages not just the regular MYW dining plan along with non-expiring hopper tickets regardless of what you ask about.

Also, AAA automatically adds in trip insurance, so you need to ask them to take that off so you can compare rates.
My quotes(tried a couple different options) were always exactly what I asked for and reflected a 15% savings on the room rate. But if you notice that the price is higher than it should be, the room quoted may not be the BASE room. And be carefull with Wilderness lodge vs Fort Wilderness prices, it can cause confusion.

As for Insurance, The prices they gave me always saved a few hundred so if Insurance is already included COOL.

Aha! Maybe I WILL take a ride down to my local office... :cool1: Thanks!

pjupton said:

pjupton said:

This is what my CAA agent did - she didn't seem aware that she'd quoted me for a 'bett'er eg more expensive ticket than I'd requested.

ISTR the premium ticket is about $100 more per adult. Not sure what their insurance costs are, but I'd bet Jen's explanation is the right one (insurance + extra premium ticket cost = the difference in your figures)

I'd call AAA again and ask the agent to remove the insurance and calculate the costs for MYW 7-day PH tix only (no "premium option"), and see what happens.

tax?

i had no luck w/AAA... they were not willing to go out of their way for me, answer my questions, give me multiple scenarios, etc... it was very frustrating, and i tried two separate agents, one that was assigned to me online and the other was a recommendation from a fellow dis'er... i've had much better luck w/a travel agent i met here on the dis!

Well, I went down to my local AAA office to ask for a quote, and was quoted the same rate as I was quoted online, but as pjupton suggested, the online agent was including trip insurance. I asked my local agent to remove the insurance, and voila!-- my price was brought down to $2991, as I had calculated it to be! So I put down a deposit and cancelled my room-only reservation. :banana: Thanks everyone, for your advice!

I called Disney CRO directly and asked them to check the AAA rate for POR in July. I booked directly with the CRO with the AAA rate. They only had a room only discount available and then added the tickets on. (I had read on the message boards that you can book the AAA rate with AAA or Disney CRO.) ::MickeyMo

dreaminboutdisney said:
I called Disney CRO directly and asked them to check the AAA rate for POR in July. I booked directly with the CRO with the AAA rate. They only had a room only discount available and then added the tickets on. (I had read on the message boards that you can book the AAA rate with AAA or Disney CRO.) ::MickeyMo

I believe (PJUpton and most favors.com were my sources of information for this) that CRO can book AAA room only rates but NOT the AAA discounts on tickets.

So, your costs of doing a AAA rate and Disney rate for tickets could/would be higher than doing both with AAA.

Both AAA and CRO will add the $35/$10day meal plan if you want it, but you have to buy the package together (room, ticket, meals) from the same place.

If you've already got tickets and/or don't want to use the meals, then it makes sense to book the AAA rate with Disney, IMO. Otherwise, it makes sense to book it all with AAA to get their tix discounts too.

You can book AAA rate with either for room only discount. If you want package you need to book directly with AAA.
I did the same thing, stopped in local AAA office. The agent I talked to was great. I then stopped in an other AAA office (have 2 very close by) and that agent was NUTS with the price she quoted. So I e-mailed the original agent (I spoke with and booked through her. Got room discount with dining, and 4 day hoppers. The agent has been great, she keeps in contact with me via e-mail and had send me stuff through usps as well. I think it just depends on who you get!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter