What is a "don't miss" for your family?

FredS

DIS Veteran
It may be big, it may be small -- what event or activity does your family particularly enjoy at Fort Wilderness? Our first stay at FW is coming up fast, and we are trying to learn the special things there that may or may not be obvious.

Thanks for any hints! :Pinkbounc

My niece and nephew always like to do the pony rides, neice likes to ride Candy - she calls Candy her horse..

My husband and I love to fill our refillable mugs, and sit out on the rocking chairs on the front porch of Crockett's Tavern and watch the people go by! You can do that while the kids play in the nearby playground - it's within your view from the porch.

My DH and I also like to sit in the rocking chairs and people watch, only instead of a refillable mug I like to sip on a yummy frozen strawberry daquiri. They make the best ones there!

first night tradition: Hoop Dee Doo

Other stuff we have to do while at FW: catch the boat parade from the beach, go armidillio(sp?) spotting after dark, enjoy a stroll (and the piped in music) on the trail leading up to Pioneer Hall, and as everyone else has mentioned...enjoying a drink while rocking away on the front porch at Crockett's.

- lori

It is not a MUST do but what our family enjoys the most is ridding around in a golf cart to see all the loops and campsite decorations. We don't do it every time because the carts are so expensive. But it really makes a difference as to what you can easily do in the campground. They are great for days you stay in the campground. You can run up to the pool and bring a cooler. You can go to the campfire and then make a quick run to the beach for fireworks and then back to the campfire for the movie drive-in style and then back to the beach for the EWP. If you use the refillable mugs you can drive almost right up to get refills.

And made a reservation for a golf cart for our entire stay. I just figured it was worth it so I wouldn't be worrying so much about getting around at FW in the heat.

Expensive, but I think for us newbies during the middle of the summer it will be money well spent!

I have a hard time saying they are worth it because they are soooo expensive now. (I remember when they were $20 a day) BUT they make a BIG difference especially for first timers. You made a wise choice. I am jealous. We never have been able to have one for our whole stay.

ridding around in a golf cart to see all the loops and campsite decorations

We love doing this, my niece calls it loopin, each morning she likes to start the day by "loopin" on the cart. but as mentioned it is very expensive so we do not always get a cart.

My mother and I love to rent the water mice - the tiny motor boats- at the Marina a go around the Seven Seas Lagoon. We did once when I was little and both of us fit in the boat. Last time we went we rented one boat intending for both of us to ride - there was no way we would both fit in it. The nice old man running the marina nicely said he didn't think that would work and gave us another boat for the price of one!! It was so much fun, it is a definate must.

2 orders of nachos from Crockett's Tavern and eating them on the beach while watching the electrical pageant and then the fireworks over MK. A must for every trip!!!!!!!!:smooth:

Watching the Electrical Water parade on the beach while DS plays with new friends!

TC:cool:

Last summer was my grandkids first trip to WDW ... they LOVED riding in the golf cart ... my GS was pretty disappointed that he couldn't drive it (he was 7).

Even though it's expensive I plan on renting one every time we stay at FW for the length of our stay.

They also enjoyed Chip and Dale's campfire sing-a-long ... we had t'storms most evenings last summer, so we didn't get to see the Electrical Water Pageant, but am hoping to catch it this time around.

My GD also enjoyed the wildlife ... bunnies, peacocks and the tiny lizards!

We like to do all of the things that everyone as mentioned already. But the best of all for our family is staying at Ft. Wilderness. It's the best. We have been coming to Disney since 1974 and every trip has been to Ft. Wilderness with one year in a cabin. Wish we were there right now

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter